Lead Frame Recall 06-14-2024

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ModCo Wheels

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I received my recall letter but the dealer said they're sending their mobile tech out (which is great) to see if I actually need the recall? I thought they had to update the PCM to prevent the 1st gear shift due to OSS failure? I assumed if I got the letter they would have to update the PCM but they said they'll check DTC's to see if I actually need to bring it in.

@FordTechOne is it possible that the mobile tech will/can update the PCM but if there are certain DTC's I will then have to bring it in? Just a little confused about what the dealer is saying.

Whoops

Reaction score
I received my recall letter but the dealer said they're sending their mobile tech out (which is great) to see if I actually need the recall? I thought they had to update the PCM to prevent the 1st gear shift due to OSS failure? I assumed if I got the letter they would have to update the PCM but they said they'll check DTC's to see if I actually need to bring it in.

@FordTechOne is it possible that the mobile tech will/can update the PCM.

Ricoman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Call Whipple, they may help you.
You might have to pull out the PCM (which is really easy)
and take a pic of the calibration code, Serial number and give them your vin #
Yep...so did hear back from Shelby....and as you mentioned...they told me to call "Whipple"...Shelby reply below......Have not called Whipple yet....but I feel like the start of a big runaround is going to start real soon.....Wondering why the Ford Dealer didnt tell me that...and kind of doubt they are going to do anything.

"You will need to contact Whipple for assistance with a tuner and the instructions to remove the Whipple tune install the stock tune for the Ford dealer to perform the recall"

Your contact at Whipple is.

Mike Malicoat

Email: [email protected]

Phone: 559-442-1261

Mike will need your VIN# to access the data.

Ricoman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm going down the same path you are. I spoke to JDM also. Additionally, what they told me was to visit an authorized Ford, Roush dealer. The dealer is supposed to call Roush, remove the tune and then flash the truck. Then they're supposed to reinstall the Roush tune. So, you should be able to have that as your stock tune before installing the JDM tune. I've spoken with a dealership/service manager that's about 40 min. away from me. He seemed to know what's going on. I need to put a couple hundred miles on the new gears before I can drive there but hope to get this done in a couple of weeks.
Sounds like I'm getting same runaround as you (only with Shelby)...since Dealer told me it couldnt be done....and Shelby said call Whipple get new tune and bring back to dealer.....why do I think this is starting to be a waste of time....takes them 10 years to do a recall....
Would love to hear how you made out...your guy at Ford sounds way better than mine..LOL!

FordTechOne

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score

@FordTechOne is it possible that the mobile tech will/can update the PCM but if there are certain DTC's I will then have to bring it in? Just a little confused about what the dealer is saying.
Yep, mobile servive can do the software update. If there are DTCs set for a lead frame failure then you’ll need to bring it in.

MTF

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Sounds like I'm getting same runaround as you (only with Shelby)...since Dealer told me it couldnt be done....and Shelby said call Whipple get new tune and bring back to dealer.....why do I think this is starting to be a waste of time....takes them 10 years to do a recall....
Would love to hear how you made out...your guy at Ford sounds way better than mine..LOL!
Do you have the SCT X4 handheld Tuner device?

Remember the original factory stock Tune will not work on a SC vehicle.
So, looking to get that OEM NA stock Tune is a waste of time.

Sounds like you have no choice but to stick with Whipple's support, it's their Tune anyway.
Now that does not mean they will have all your info, mainly because these kits are drop shipped and Whipple will have no record to whom or what vehicle the kits with the Tune were installed in.

After saying all this, it probably means getting the SCT X4 and backup the Tune that's on your truck as "Stock Tune" when you marry the device to your truck.
Then you will have the option to return to stock after the dealer does the recall update.

Ricoman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Do you have the SCT X4 handheld Tuner device?

Remember the original factory stock Tune will not work on a SC vehicle.
So, looking to get that OEM NA stock Tune is a waste of time.

Sounds like you have no choice but to stick with Whipple's support, it's their Tune anyway.
Now that does not mean they will have all your info, mainly because these kits are drop shipped and Whipple will have no record to whom or what vehicle the kits with the Tune were installed in.

After saying all this, it probably means getting the SCT X4 and backup the Tune that's on your truck as "Stock Tune" when you marry the device to your truck.
Then you will have the option to return to stock after the dealer does the recall update.
"Do you have the SCT X4 handheld Tuner device?":oops::rolleyes::eek::oops:
I'm lucky I can figure out how to post on this site...."Tuner Device" Wouldnt have a clue how to use even if I did...
One of the reasons I love my Gen 1 is is is not as much of a computer on wheels like the Gen3's
I get what your saying......gonna give Whipple a call when I feel like spending an hour on phone being more confused than I already am..
Kind of figuring im just going to leave alone....Recall problem is truck coming to fast stop..60-0...if someone hits you from behind,isnt it their fault...LOLOLOLOLOLOL!! would be more worried if the recall was for going from 0-60 when sitting at a stoplight..
:oops::rolleyes::eek:

MTF

FRF Addict
Reaction score
"Do you have the SCT X4 handheld Tuner device?":oops::rolleyes::eek::oops:
I'm lucky I can figure out how to post on this site...."Tuner Device" Wouldnt have a clue how to use even if I did...
One of the reasons I love my Gen 1 is is is not as much of a computer on wheels like the Gen3's
I get what your saying......gonna give Whipple a call when I feel like spending an hour on phone being more confused than I already am..
Kind of figuring im just going to leave alone....Recall problem is truck coming to fast stop..60-0...if someone hits you from behind,isnt it their fault...LOLOLOLOLOLOL!! would be more worried if the recall was for going from 0-60 when sitting at a stoplight..
:oops::rolleyes::eek:
LOL, no problem on tuner device.
You are certainly not the first person to have this problem with not having the Tuner Device and the Tune.
The Gen 1 is all computer just not as many new gadgets the Gen 3 has over the Gen 1