Lead Frame Recall 06-14-2024

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Gumby

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Ok...... I will try to keep this short. After going to 6 dealers all denied to do the work. was about to give up I called the number on the recall paper and explained my problem to the nice person on the phone. He called a dealer for me that is known for Big ford trucks. (ex 250, 350 ,450 box trucks, motorhomes) I took the truck to them today. in and out in about an hour. update done.

Whoops

Reaction score
Ok...... I will try to keep this short. After going to 6 dealers all denied to do the work. was about to give up I called the number on the recall paper and explained my problem to the nice person on the phone. He called a dealer for me that is known for Big ford trucks. (ex 250, 350 ,450 box trucks, motorhomes) I took the truck to them today. in and out in about an hour. update done.
That's great to hear!

Ricoman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You have to email them every couple of days, Whipple is still a small company and Michael does not always remember.
They do it to me as well. Luckly, I haven't had an issue in years (knock on wood) and I'm not upgrading any more.
Hello my friend....
Little update....
Finally heard back from Mike @ Whipple...my emails were in his "spam" box...(the new 21st Century excuse)...so he told me he is NOT person to contact,JEFF is....so I emailed him and didnt have to wait a month....he called and left message and I will call him Monday AM...but what he said so far is my 2014 didnt come with the tune device because it was done at Shelby (confused,but saves me the time of bothering the original owner)....so seems he can send me the original tune file and a Tomahawk Device so I can set it back to original,then have Ford do the recall..and then tune it back....for cost of $850 ! Its all greek to me..does this sound right...??? He did also ask,why I want to do the recall,am I having problems (I'm not)...so will see what he says when I talk to him.....
I did read the thread BEWARE WHIPPLE TUNE on here...and now I'm not only confused,but scared....LOL!! Damn new computerized vehicles..!

MTF

FRF Addict
Reaction score
@Ricoman

Yeah, Tune and Tuner device combo will cost that much.
I didn't know they switched from SCT to Tomahawk.
It's not all Raptors that are affected with this recall, did you get a letter? I forget.
You are running the Whipple Tune, it's just branded for Shelby.
Some owners were having surging issues with the new Gen 3 compressor.
Rather than wait and work with Whipple to data log they went to JDM.
That's fine but they had to change injectors, throttle body to smaller sizes and detune Tune.
Certainly not the way I would have gone but I get it.

Ricoman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
@Ricoman

Yeah, Tune and Tuner device combo will cost that much.
I didn't know they switched from SCT to Tomahawk.
It's not all Raptors that are affected with this recall, did you get a letter? I forget.
You are running the Whipple Tune, it's just branded for Shelby.
Some owners were having surging issues with the new Gen 3 compressor.
Rather than wait and work with Whipple to data log they went to JDM.
That's fine but they had to change injectors, throttle body to smaller sizes and detune Tune.
Certainly not the way I would have gone but I get it.
Yeah,figured price was legit,just have other things id rather do on it for over $1000 if i dont need...My baby runs as good as day i bought..
Yep...they sell Tomahawk now,and yes,your correct as always.Mine is a Shelby branded Whipple..
Didnt catch Jeff today,but will keep you posted...
Right now dealing with drama not Raptor related..
Off subject..
GF bought brand new 2024 4x4 (not Raptor..but starts with a T) Picked it up 2 weeks ago...800 miles on it,and Sat. she is rear ended,and side swiped by a logging truck..and the took off...she is OK,and State Patrol searching for him...
Good old Murphys Law...and will deal with my Raptor after she stops crying

EricM

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Yeah,figured price was legit,just have other things id rather do on it for over $1000 if i dont need...My baby runs as good as day i bought..
Yep...they sell Tomahawk now,and yes,your correct as always.Mine is a Shelby branded Whipple..
Off subject..
GF bought brand new 2024 4x4 (not Raptor..but starts with a T) Picked it up 2 weeks ago...800 miles on it,and Sat. she is rear ended,and side swiped by a logging truck..and the took off...she is OK,and State Patrol searching for him...
Who tuned it in the first place? Shelby? They owe you a tuner device IMO. They should have provided one exactly for these type of situations.

dj30417

CRZYCHK
Reaction score
Off subject..
If she is ok, remind her that is what is important. And now she has an opportunity to get in a Raptor.

Ricoman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Who tuned it in the first place? Shelby? They owe you a tuner device IMO. They should have provided one exactly for these type of situations.
I agree 110%...
So 1st i called guy ive dealt with at Shelby..(they have always been great to deal with)..he told me it was tuned by Whipple,so they are ones to talk to...so far only got a voice message,and they said yes,they tuned it but its out of warranty and will open a " ticket" for me if i want to get device and tune file....All i know at this point..but sounds like BS to me and will be interesting to actually talk with them

Ricoman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If she is ok, remind her that is what is important. And now she has an opportunity to get in a Raptor.
Oh,she gets in mine all the time...ive even let her drive it...once a year..owned 6 years,she has drove it 6 times...Been begging me for 8 years to drive my Corvette,but thats never gonna happen.
And THANKSshe is fine,shook up but fine..mostly mangled the back,and drivers side rear.

Attachments

• 20240910_102800.jpg
    20240910_102800.jpg
    236.2 KB · Views: 5

dj30417

CRZYCHK
Reaction score
Oh,she gets in mine all the time...ive even let her drive it...once a year..owned 6 years,she has drove it 6 times...Been begging me for 8 years to drive my Corvette,but thats never gonna happen.
And THANKSshe is fine,shook up but fine..mostly mangled the back,and drivers side rear.
Similar to what brought me to the Raptor game, I don’t wish it on anyone.
I’m one of those people who will drive it like I stole it but I’ve never asked to drive and not been handed keys, at least not the first time.
Glad she’s ok.