JDM / SCT Tuner Now Shipping

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BigJ

FRF Addict
Reaction score
image.php

http://www.teamjdm.com/shop/product_info.php?products_id=179&cPath=223_224

JDM said:
Maximize the performance on your SVT F-150 Raptor truck with a custom tune from JDM Engineering. Team JDM has developed a custom tune file that will yeild more HP and Torque while improving fuel economy, shifting, and throttle response! Each custom tune comes loaded in a SCT Xclibrator 3 programmer. The X3 device is SCT's latest version of the Xcalibrator programmers which offers features such as datalogging, email tuning, and tune adjustments. The SCT programmer can hold up to 3 different tune files to help better suite your driving style and needs. You can also check and clear engine codes with this programmer. An estimated power gain of 15-25 HP is expected for the SVT Raptor 5.4 engine depending on the quality of your fuel.

From what I have gathered, they recommend premium fuel be used with their tune. They also say that they haven't messed with any of the off road modes, only the fuel mapping (off road modes are apparently tranny specific)... the off road modes *should* work as normal.

So... who's gonna be the first to try it out? :mrgreen:

MarkT

FRF Addict
Reaction score
On the "Off Road Overview" supplement card for the Raptor it says that transmission calibration AND "throttle map" are changed in off road mode... with a "Unique 4 low calibration" when 4 low is selected.

http://www.svtoffroad.com/showthrea...r-s-Manual-amp-Maintenance-Schedule-Downloads

On drive-by-wire the "throttle map" calibration could simply mean a change in how the throttle pedal controls the throttle plate in the intake... for example, the throttle pedal halfway pressed could open the throttle 3/4's of the way with one map while halfway could actually be halfway with another map.

Or the change in "throttle map" could indicate a complete recalibration of air/fuel mixtures and many other settings... everything... similar to what a tuner does.

I think it was someone from JDM on the other forum that recommended not using their tuner with "hill descent" because hill descent changes the shifting dramatically already and the combination of the tuner and hill descent would not be a good idea.

What??? Anyone that has used hill descent knows that it is a function of the ABS system and has nothing to do with the shift points. I asked if they meant "off road mode" or "tow/haul" mode (both change the shift points) but I didn't get a response.

I'm just not confident that the tuners (all of them, not just JDM) understand the unique Raptor off road modes and what they do.

FSM06

Full Access Member
Reaction score
^^^^ I agree 100%.

I don't know if the $435.00 is worth the "try" besides, I am looking at customizing some factory black wheels with orange simu-beadlocks from OMF and that is a chunk of change. :eek:

NoCaDiver

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I don't think I would be willing to try it either. It seems rather sketchy. I would prefer a tuner who is capable and HONEST about their tuning and how it affects the various throttle maps. Enough of this tuning a portion of the throttle maps. Hell I can make half of a software program or build half an engine.

frogslinger

Full Access Member
Reaction score
IIRC offroad mode has one effect on the throttle map... all throttle map table lookups go to 100%, and engine power is controlled by fuel inputs instead of throttle opening...

JDM mentioned that hill decent control worked fine at low speeds... which is all you should really be using it for...

I agree though that this project still feels unfinished.

OP
OP
BigJ

BigJ

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I'll 'fly' if you 'buy' :nana:

Funny you say that B... I was thinking you'd be the perfect guy to put this thing thru its paces. Your resume to date on the Raptor alone qualifies.

You might try contacting the JDM guys, and see if they'll send you one on loan. I've found if you offer to give a full, complete and honest review (on a forum like the Z and/or here), with pictures, thoughts impressions facts and suggestions... manufacturers will often send you a unit, or sell you one at cost. Especially with something like this... something so new, and unknown. They'd be lucky to have someone of your experience, and regard, review and run their product. And they know it.

Its worth a shot, no?

Falcon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
image.php

http://www.teamjdm.com/shop/product_info.php?products_id=179&cPath=223_224

From what I have gathered, they recommend premium fuel be used with their tune. They also say that they haven't messed with any of the off road modes, only the fuel mapping (off road modes are apparently tranny specific)... the off road modes *should* work as normal.

So... who's gonna be the first to try it out? :mrgreen:

I am going to fly from memory here... I read a thread on "some other board" that had several posts from JDM hyping this tune. They said that they didn't mess with the off-road functions... but assumed they would work as normal. Then there was something saying that the Patriarch of the clan was working up that angle... and offered to provide his data when he returned from desert testing as a software upgrade. Or something like that <G>. But it seems that JDM is a little bit more savvy that some are giving them credit for. Any JDM lurkers want to chime in? I know you are out there <G>.

As for me, I am reticent to mess with Ford's programming. Just not smart enough. But there are some of you that are. Watching with interest...

Babu

frogslinger

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I was going to recommend a tuning house in Michigan (tier one ford supplier, have built multiple special vehicles for Ford and others), but I am a little pissed with them this week... I will see how I feel next week.

MarkT

FRF Addict
Reaction score
IIRC offroad mode has one effect on the throttle map... all throttle map table lookups go to 100%, and engine power is controlled by fuel inputs instead of throttle opening...

Please share the source of this "one affect on the throttle map" information if you can remember where it came from... thanks...

...and I'm not an expert on computer tunes but, unlike a diesel, gasoline/E85 engine power is controlled by the amount of air allowed into the engine. The air volume (and therefore power) on the 5.4 is controlled by a throttle plate in the intake. (I guess i don't understand what you meant when you said: "the engine power is controlled by the fuel inputs instead of the throttle opening" )

JDM mentioned that hill decent control worked fine at low speeds... which is all you should really be using it for...

I agree though that this project still feels unfinished.

That's exactly the statement from JDM that scares me! An "anonymous friend" just sent me the quote from JDM I think we are referring to:

JDM said:"Also as far as off road mode is conserned [sic] our tuning has been tested and works great for that! The only mode its not recommended for is Hill decent [sic] as it stretches out every gear during the shift points and puts too much load on the motor. Hill decent [sic] can be used but you want to make sure you going at a slow rate of speed..."

:wow:Yikes!

Hill descent doesn't put any load on the engine or stretch out the shift points! Hill descent uses the ABS braking system to control your coasting speed down a steep hill! It only works up to 20 mph. The Raptor must be trying to roll faster down the hill than you want to go or hill descent won't work at all.

It sounds to me like JDM is talking about Off Road Mode, not Hill Descent. If that's the case, it definitely sounds like if you engage Off Road Mode, you'd better drive slow after installing their tune!

( I'd also guess JDM is talking about "engaging 4WD" when they say "Off Road Mode" in the above quote.)

Like I said... I don't have a lot of confidence in the tuners when it comes to integrating the unique modes of the Raptor.