I've Owned my Raptor for 2 Months, It's been at the dealer for Most of it

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Old-Raptor-guy

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Just a little side note. Fluids inside wiring can be a big deal. (Mostly oil).

Ford had their recall 25 years ago about brake fluid getting inside the wiring from the brake pressure switch on the master cylinder and would cause a fire (crazy but I saw 4 vehicle fires because of it)

But another one i have seen is oil from a sensor, most notably cam sensor (a sensor that is not pressure fed oil but just splashed on) on some Mercedes vehicles (and some Chryslers from the Mercedes age). The oil will wick up the harness all the way to the PCM and then damage the PCM. Some complaints also involve "engine oil dripping from the dash".

One of the Craziest things I have seen. Only fix is new sensors, new wiring harness and new PCM. Usually over a $10,000 bill.

Old-Raptor-guy

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Thanks for taking the time to write this out. Yes this is a FOMOCO dealer and FOMOCO parts. The dealer claimed that there was oil leaking from the oil pressure sensor into the wiring so it's leading me to believe that that could be a possible issue that wasn't resolved by merely replacing the sensor. I do go into limp mode whenever I get the warning and I'm limited to 3000 RPM. Still unsure why the oil pump replacement was necessary as clearly it had no impact and makes me think these guys have no idea what they're doing...
Just going to put this out there. This is my story. I deal with this daily and it is something I have had to learn the hard way AND something I try and get my guys to understand, it is harder than you think.

The oil pump was probably replaced out of desperation.

When you properly diagnose a problem and then the problem is not resolved I believe it is human nature to have an emotional response.

Imagine for a moment an light goes out in your kitchen, you grab a new bulb out of the garage and install it. You flip the switch on and it still does not come on. Do you instantly try another bulb or do you suspect something else????

99% of the time humans suspect something else.

The tech had a emotional response to a logical problem. It wasn't done out of malice or ill intent, it was done out of desperation and an attempt to get you back on the road.

I have to beat into my guys heads that each time you diag, you start at the beginning. Don't assume anything.

Some of my biggest ass kickings have been from defective new parts.

Another weird thing and not to brag but this sort of seems to be unique (almost a super power) that I can look back at a situation and study it, evaluate it and figure out the missteps. Until I had employees I didn't think much of it, I thought everyone did it. but let me tell you, it is not very common at all.

MDJAK

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Note to self. Remember, continue on the path of NEVER buying used. Do not buy someone else's problems.

If I can't afford a new Raptor, or its brethern, buy something you can afford new. No guarantees it will be perfect, but much better chance rather than a crap shoot.

Even Porsche with their Certified program is full of sheeyat.

dsiggi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So if @FordTechOne fix doesnt end up working. Its possible that rtv from a oil pan job or phaser job has broken off and worked its way into the oil pickup and only comes on intermittently. However, if thats it, it may be catastrophic one day.

GordoJay

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Note to self. Remember, continue on the path of NEVER buying used. Do not buy someone else's problems.
Unless you know the previous owner and the history, this is good advice. Every problem truck gets traded in. Every one. The solid trucks? Lots do get traded, but I'm always hesitant to trade in a stellar vehicle for a brand-new crap shoot. And when do I decide to sell a good one, there's often someone in my circle who knows someone who's looking. So many of the good trucks are kept or sold through friends. Problem vehicles? Let the dealer deal with it. Your odds of getting a solid vehicle buying used from a dealer are lower than if you buy new. Much lower.