How to purchase a new truck.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

gjjohns

Reaction score
My current ride is a Gen2 2017 Raptor which I'm completely satisfied with, but I ran across a 24 Raptor with the 802A package that though it was really nice. I have reached out to several dealerships in the Raleigh, NC area and even one dealership in Texas. trucks seem to be anywhere from 5-15K over MSRP. Is this the norm now? I don't remember paying over MSRP when I purchased my Gen 2. I don't mind travelling to go get a new truck but I can't find a dealer that wants to work with me at Fords MSRP. I'm also curious to know If there is a process for just ordering a vehicle without the dealer markup and added sales gimics (actually even had a salesperson yesterday tell me I had to order the vehicle with the dealer mandated graffine wax, tire warranty and window tint package for $995 which I wasn't interested in and just ended up walking out. It's getting kind of frustrating to just find a good dealership. Can anyone in the forum recommend a good dealership.

Thanks, Gary

smurfslayer

Be vewwy, vewwy quiet. We’re hunting sasquatch77
Reaction score
I bought a ’24 Mustang Dark Horse last month at almost 5k under MSRP. It took me... 4 days(?) to land it, but I had been looking for a couple weeks. I found within reasonable fly/drive distance 7 candidates, 2 were in transit and didn’t want to discuss price. Sucks to be them. 5 left - one was not optioned how I wanted so I did not follow up on that one.
I was able to get MSRP on 1 of the 4, 2 at a few thousand ADM - no thanks and one at under MSRP, which turned into a clown show of added fees but I still got at almost 5k under.

MDH are allocation vehicles so it’s not like I could run down to the local Ford stealership and drive off the lot in one. I think the 802a Rap is of similar market.
MSRP is definitely out there, you will have to do some searching though. I’d look at suburban and rural stealerships first. Urban mega stealerships will be the first to tack on added fees, and ADM. Don’t be afraid to say “no, I’m not interested in anything but the truck”. Now... OTOH, if they’re adding on tint and goofball packages, so long as they aren’t lift kits or other stupid stuff AND they’re a lower price than the other stealerships out there, then don’t let the perfect be the enemy of the good.

aFallenTree

Reaction score
Just bought our 802a for 2k over msrp at a local top 100 ford dealership. Didn’t want to deal with the haggling over our trade-in while out of town/state. Called other dealerships within 500 miles of me and all of them said 10k over for 37’s and 5k over for 35’s. So to me buying the exact spec truck I wanted local for 2k over was acceptable. Might not be for some but depends what you are willing to do for the deal you expect.

letsgetthisdone

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just bought our 802a for 2k over msrp at a local top 100 ford dealership. Didn’t want to deal with the haggling over our trade-in while out of town/state. Called other dealerships within 500 miles of me and all of them said 10k over for 37’s and 5k over for 35’s. So to me buying the exact spec truck I wanted local for 2k over was acceptable. Might not be for some but depends what you are willing to do for the deal you expect.

2 over isn't bad vs buying a flight a driving back from wherever you find one at MSRP.

Braves Fan

Reaction score
The adm is the norm although there are certainly dealerships - even in Texas - that will sell at MSRP or close. Floresville will at MSRP. New Braunfels at 2k over. SA proper likely 5k over.

smurfslayer

Be vewwy, vewwy quiet. We’re hunting sasquatch77
Reaction score
The adm is the norm although there are certainly dealerships - even in Texas - that will sell at MSRP or close. Floresville will at MSRP. New Braunfels at 2k over. SA proper likely 5k over.
good to know. I get service done at Flo’ville.

shigman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm very confused as to how someone who can't figure out how to find a good deal on a highly desirable vehicle is able to have a job where they can afford such a vehicle.
It can be tricky depending on location. I wouldn’t be willing to fly 1500 miles, lose out on the tax credit with trade in…etc..etc. Some people are also not willing to thrash and thrash and thrash on dealers and spend weekend after weekend wheeling and dealing all to save a couple grand….maybe. That being said I’m shocked ADM is still a thing….