Upgrading to a Raptor R

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Bronze

Reaction score
I apologize if this has been discussed, couldn't find any recent threads. Anyway i've owned one Gen 2 a couple Gen 3s. I currently have a 23 37PP. When they announced the R I tried for about a year to find or order one with no luck. Fast forward I was just called and offered one that should be here in the next week or so for 5K over. The markup doesn't excite me but I don't think it's gonna get much better. For those that have gone to an R from a Gen 3 V6 for a daily did you find the additional expense to be worth it?

Thanks in advance
Dave
I went from a Gen 2 Supercab to a Gen 3 Raptor R. I loved them both. If you have doubts I would go drive a used R and see if its worth it. I will keep mine.

JDubbb

Reaction score
Unless you’re paying cash, you just might get lucky as Jerome Powell is probably going to cut rates this month. That in itself should help you maintain the resale value if you decide not to keep it. Either way, I think you’re in a good spot. Good luck!

squeak

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i'll admittedly start with i didn't read through every post related to this so maybe this has been said but I originally said I don't need an R and bought a 23 37 pkg last February. it's been fine and a good DD and much better than my Gen 2. Recently I've come to the conclusion that this may be the last chance to get an ICE "super truck" like this. TRX already folded and went back to the new RHO and with electric vehicles coming I'm thinking this will be the last of them and will likely go away altogether with the next F150 refresh/update. At $5k over you'll probably lose less than most with whatever happens to the R resale and then you'll at least know instead of wondering all the time.

zoomwalt

Reaction score
Unless you’re paying cash, you just might get lucky as Jerome Powell is probably going to cut rates this month. That in itself should help you maintain the resale value if you decide not to keep it. Either way, I think you’re in a good spot. Good luck!
I suspect it's just going to be a quarter %. Rates on cars will still be 7%+ for most people through the end of the year in my opinion.

Hard R

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I will give a different perspective. I had a gen 2, went to a TRX and now have an R (pd sticker which was nice).

The R is a more well rounded truck than the TRX. Significantly better than the gen 2.

If you value money, trips to the gas station, and overall bang for the buck do NOT buy the R. For me in my life I always regret not getting the biggest, baddest whatever because if I don’t, I can’t stop thinking about why I didn’t. Life is too short to worry about those little things. But if 50k is a life changing amount of money for you then you shouldn’t be looking at the R to begin with.

Final thought. The R should always bring a better ROI also since it will be the rarest version. Who knows how long they will make them.

"If you value money, trips to the gas station, and overall bang for the buck do NOT buy the R."

This is the absolute truth above. I drove a friends 23 3.5 back to back with my R and surprised how similar they are. R feels heavier, 3.5 is higher revving to me.

Do it for the Boys, get the R.

RaptorAU

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Instead of starting a new thread I figured I could get some thoughts in here....

I've got a '24 37pp that has 400 miles on it. My local dealer just got a '23 Raptor R in avalanche grey w/ no sunroof and graphics but it has exactly 4k on the odometer. They'll take 115k or so for it. Stupid to even think about trading this truck in for it? I'd love to order a brand new one in like a year or two but who knows if they'll be around. Just kicking the can around on this one....

dvm

Reaction score
Instead of starting a new thread I figured I could get some thoughts in here....

I've got a '24 37pp that has 400 miles on it. My local dealer just got a '23 Raptor R in avalanche grey w/ no sunroof and graphics but it has exactly 4k on the odometer. They'll take 115k or so for it. Stupid to even think about trading this truck in for it? I'd love to order a brand new one in like a year or two but who knows if they'll be around. Just kicking the can around on this one....
Personally I would keep the 24 3.5. I like the 24 for the HUD, better shocks, modular bumper.

If the R is a must have I would get a 24 or later.

Depends what’s important to you.

Arizona Free

Reaction score
"If you value money, trips to the gas station, and overall bang for the buck do NOT buy the R."

This is the absolute truth above. I drove a friends 23 3.5 back to back with my R and surprised how similar they are. R feels heavier, 3.5 is higher revving to me.

Do it for the Boys, get the R.
Just get the R.

WTX

Full Access Member
Reaction score

It’s already in your mind. Do it