How to fix this scratch?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

HighHP

Reaction score
I wouldn’t use the actual pen. If your wanting to tackle it yourself.
I would brush on 2 coats, wet sand it down with 1500grit just to make it level with the rest of the un-effected paint, then brush on 1 coat of clear.

Or tape off ALL AROUND the whole area except the effected spot and spray on several lite coats with a rattle can, wet sand lightly agin with 1500 grit then a coat of clear.

I see three options:
1. Buy touch up paint from Ford. Rough up the area to be painted with scratch tip on paint bottle. Clean with alcohol. Carefully brush paint on only the scratch area. I would apply four coats. Let dry one day between coats. let dry a week or more after last coat. Take clear package tape and place on good paint to protect it. Take 1500 grit sand paper and water and slowly sand down the paint you applied until flush with the good paint or simply just smoothed out. Take buffing compound on a soft cloth and buff shinny by hand.
Use only the paint, do not use the clear coat, it will screw up the process. You may have to rebuff the paint every few years if it losses its shine.
2. Take it to someone that can do #1.
3. If you don't like above results repaint the whole tailgate.

OP
OP
K

khandis

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I see three options:
1. Buy touch up paint from Ford. Rough up the area to be painted with scratch tip on paint bottle. Clean with alcohol. Carefully brush paint on only the scratch area. I would apply four coats. Let dry one day between coats. let dry a week or more after last coat. Take clear package tape and place on good paint to protect it. Take 1500 grit sand paper and water and slowly sand down the paint you applied until flush with the good paint or simply just smoothed out. Take buffing compound on a soft cloth and buff shinny by hand.
Use only the paint, do not use the clear coat, it will screw up the process. You may have to rebuff the paint every few years if it losses its shine.
Thanks for the in-depth reply. Much appreciated

Antho

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I see three options:

Good process but with that much metallic in the paint, sanding it will make it look just as bad. I think it would be a waste of time and money trying to DIY it. Maybe try to find that part and have it painted. No reason to spray the whole tailgate. Then just swap in freshly painted part.

OP
OP
K

khandis

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Good process but with that much metallic in the paint, sanding it will make it look just as bad. I think it would be a waste of time and money trying to DIY it. Maybe try to find that part and have it painted. No reason to spray the whole tailgate. Then just swap in freshly painted part.
Is that a separate piece of the tailgate itself? Doesn’t look like it to me