How to fix this scratch?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

khandis

Full Access Member
Reaction score
God forsaken garage door scratched my tail gate next to the camera. How best to fix this scratch? Dealer? Or is this fixable with one of those touch up paint pens from auto zoneF8F280A5-CB54-4A33-85A0-562E8D130C58.jpeg

Gen1TillDeath

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I wouldn’t use the actual pen. If your wanting to tackle it yourself.
I would brush on 2 coats, wet sand it down with 1500grit just to make it level with the rest of the un-effected paint, then brush on 1 coat of clear.

Or tape off ALL AROUND the whole area except the effected spot and spray on several lite coats with a rattle can, wet sand lightly agin with 1500 grit then a coat of clear.

Gen1TillDeath

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It would just be to get it level. You just take some rubbing compound to the dull area after you clear it. Scratches come right out. The more it’s raised the more noticeable it’s going to be. Plus it’s an off-road vehicle, not a Prius nor anything lol.

Mike T

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you take that to someone that routinely does paint correction and touch-ups, you'd be surprised how good they can get that. Won't be perfect but most can do an excellent job. There's always someone out there if you look,it shjould be cheap too because it's small.

OP
OP
K

khandis

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It’s pretty deep and I think maybe some metal is exposed. Should I pen it until a better solution can be applied since the shop the dealer recommended is closed today? Not quite sure how long is okay to leave it as is.

yoopercharged

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It’s pretty deep and I think maybe some metal is exposed. Should I pen it until a better solution can be applied since the shop the dealer recommended is closed today? Not quite sure how long is okay to leave it as is.
It's aluminum. A few days of exposed metal will be fine. I would just leave it until you can get it repaired properly.

Antho

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I wouldnt touch it. I doubt a paint pen will look any better. Not exactly the best paint color to try and match. I learned my lesson on my Lightning Blue i had.