Houston.... we have a problem

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
dillard09

dillard09

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So here is an update....
After the cam phaser repairs, the truck cam phaser clatter was gone but it was still running rough at idle and throwing both front O2 sensors stuck rich. The guys at GAS have been digging and digging trying to figure it out. And yesterday evening the tech found this. Hopefully this is the culprit.
The XDI-EVO HPFP is leaking internally from the piston seal. And it possibly leaks more than that when the piston moves.
I'm in contact right now with Xtreme DI about next steps which I'm sure is a rebuild of the HPFP.

Attachments

• IMG_7144.mp4
    1.5 MB

thatJeepguy

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Oh shy
So here is an update....
After the cam phaser repairs, the truck cam phaser clatter was gone but it was still running rough at idle and throwing both front O2 sensors stuck rich. The guys at GAS have been digging and digging trying to figure it out. And yesterday evening the tech found this. Hopefully this is the culprit.
The XDI-EVO HPFP is leaking internally from the piston seal. And it possibly leaks more than that when the piston moves.
I'm in contact right now with Xtreme DI about next steps which I'm sure is a rebuild of the HPFP.
Oh shyte, that’ll do it for sure! Lots of unmetered fuel !

Muchmore

FRF Addict
Reaction score
So here is an update....
Looks like me in the morning..........

FordTechOne

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So here is an update....
Looks like they found the root cause! Fuel in the oil causes severe wear, luckily it took out the VCT units before the bottom end of the engine.

That also explains your earlier update where the oil was overfull.

So after you posted that I went back over to where my truck was parked to check the oil again. The oil level is over the top dot now and smells like gas. ‍♂️ F UC K ME!!!

OP
OP
dillard09

dillard09

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Update.....
I have picked up the truck after cam phasers and new HPFP. Truck seems to run very well. I have drove it from Cali back to Texas and it ran perfect all the way.
I have talked to Win @GooseTuned and it's possible that I have been dealing with the leaking HPFP for a bit sense we have had some tuning issues in the past.
So i will grab a log with 93 octane and see if anything has changed and if it does I will pour in the E85 and log that too.
Plan to swap to E85 as soon as this tank of 93 is gone anyways.
Thanks to everyone's help along the way!

OP
OP
dillard09

dillard09

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Also I highly recommend Galpin Auto Sports! They did a great job on the truck and the tech spent lots of time just trying to figure it out. I'm pretty sure fi ding that leaking HPFP is not easy to find.
I got a tour of GAS while I was there. Blown away!! I seen 6 or 7 Ford GTs, GT500s and a brand new GT500KR, also a brand new GT3RS. I was like a kid in a candy store that I forgot to take any pictures! Sorry!

OP
OP
dillard09

dillard09

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hey Jake, glad to see that you got your truck back, I know it was a trying time for you, now go out and have some fun with that beast
Yes sir that's the plan! Now I just need to sit down been driving for 3 days. Good thing i had my jeep to drive. Was a tough few months driving a jeep with no AC. Ha
Thanks Chip!!