Horsepower, Torque, and MPG Confirmed

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Chris's FX4

FRF Addict
Reaction score
That is weird. So then 87 isn't really the recommended, 91 is......to actually get the posted numbers.
Correct. Ford has been doing this for a while so that they don't have to say Premium Fuel is required. This way they give you some options if you need to save some $$$.

NASSTY

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Correct. Ford has been doing this for a while so that they don't have to say Premium Fuel is required. This way they give you some options if you need to save some $$$.

That's not how they did it with the gen1 3.5 Ecoboost.
The gen1 had 365HP and 420 lb ft of torque.
In the link below it says " Ford tells us that its power outputs improve slightly, measuring 385 horsepower and 430 pounds-feet of torque when using premium fuel, instead of the regular fuel the owner's manual recommends."

Ford vs. GM: Twin-Turbo Showdown - PickupTrucks.com News

Chris's FX4

FRF Addict
Reaction score
In the link below it says " Ford tells us that its power outputs improve slightly, measuring 385 horsepower and 430 pounds-feet of torque when using premium fuel, instead of the regular fuel the owner's manual recommends."

Interesting. That's the first I've ever seen that one.

poison123

Full Access Member
Reaction score

Damn...thats pretty underhanded. Sigh.

yenrod

Full Access Member
Reaction score
True, but i would rather have it able to run with lesser performance/mpg with no issues an the ability to run higher for better than being tied to top tier and having multiple issues with the engine and performance if you tried to cheap out on the octane /supplement rating, if that is how I am understanding? I will go with what is "recommended"

Craigy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That is weird. So then 87 isn't really the recommended, 91 is......to actually get the posted numbers.

What is recommended is irrelevant to what is required.

Ford, Chevy et al play this game. They want to list regular on their monroney label to keep estimated fuel price as low as possible, but they want to advertise horsepower as high as possible. Even the Corvette had a "regular" fuel requirement a few years ago, but recommended higher octane fuel in the manual.

Believe it or not, there are enough dumbos buying these performance vehicles that go by what the monroney label tells them. "Aww shucks the label says that gas cost a lot."

poison123

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What is recommended is irrelevant to what is required.

Ford, Chevy et al play this game. They want to list regular on their monroney label to keep estimated fuel price as low as possible, but they want to advertise horsepower as high as possible. Even the Corvette had a "regular" fuel requirement a few years ago, but recommended higher octane fuel in the manual.

Believe it or not, there are enough dumbos buying these performance vehicles that go by what the monroney label tells them. "Aww shucks the label says that gas cost a lot."

Ya. It kinda makes me wonder......whats the gas mileage on premium. Because I can't believe someone hasn't sued the shit out of them for false advertising if they are cherry picking the best stats.

FordPerf Addict

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Ya. It kinda makes me wonder......whats the gas mileage on premium. Because I can't believe someone hasn't sued the shit out of them for false advertising if they are cherry picking the best stats.

There's prolly some fine print somewhere that explains it when you buy the car in the manual or somewhere else that protects them. But for our sakes, it's not the worst thing if they advertise mpg with regular.. cuz then mpg improves under better octane. At the same time if we lose 10HP with 87 that sucks too. Guess it depends how you wanna look at it. Could be nice to have some flexibility as well. Maybe you don't wanna spend the extra for 93 cuz gas prices are higher and you done need that extra HP for a long family highway cruise. Then throw in 93 when you rip around off road. Just make sure you buy a top quality fuel to insure its best for your vehicle no matter the octane you decide.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Craigy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Mileage on premium vs regular should be nil on most cars. I'm sure there are plenty of people out there that will swear that running premium gets better MPG but by and large if a vehicle is designed to be able to run on regular then there is no difference unless your premium blend has no ethanol or something like that. Lower octane gas simply has more power per volume than higher octane, too.