Heated Wheel Retrofit

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jonb347

Reaction score
I wanted to compile everything that I learned about the heated steering wheel retrofit - including some things I thought to be true but that I now know are not true (regarding the digital read out HVAC). Hopefully this post can/will serve as a repository of information for anyone looking to tackle this. I'll try to update this post (or delete it) if the information in it becomes obsolete or inaccurate.

Abbreviations
MY = Model Year
HSW = Heated Steering Wheel
SCCM = Steering Column Control Module
HVAC = Heating, Ventilation, and Air Conditioning (for purposes of this retrofit, refers to the HVAC control module in the dash)
APIM = Accessory Protocol Interface Module
BGGD = Boosted Grey Goose Designs (https://www.boostedgreygoosedesigns.net/)
FDRS = Ford Diagnostic and Repair System
Ford PTS = Ford Professional Technician Society
PN = Part Number
AB = As-Built

What is my truck actually missing?
Nobody can speak for your specific truck with certainty except for Ford. But there are some observed norms seen by multiple people who have done this retrofit:
  • Steering wheel in MY23 Raptors will typically have the heating element. This can be verified after removing the air bag by looking for a particular connector. See photo (screenshot taken from @Andrews video - credit to him)
View attachment 396168
  • Harness is present.
  • The clockspring in MY23 Raptors is the part that was on backorder resulting in the feature delete. There are some reports of people ONLY needing the clockspring and being able to swap it into the stock SCCM. However, most of us have found that the SCCM that came in our trucks was missing pins on the back to connect to the HSW harness. It is safest to replace the entire SCCM, unless you first disassemble your steering column and check for the presence/absence of the pins on the back of the SCCM.
  • The HVAC installed in MY23 Raptors lacks the HSW button. It also lacks the digital temp readout present on previous MYs. There are two Gen3 compatible HVACs that have a HSW button: one has digital temp readout, the other does not.

What do I need?
Again, I can't speak for everyone's specific truck with certainty, but the following parts list should be sufficient for 100% of people trying to do this retrofit. It's possible you may be able to do it with different/fewer parts, but this list *should* always work.
  • SCCM: ML3Z-3F791-BB
  • HVAC (with digital readout): ML3Z-19980-K/ML3T-18C612-D
  • HVAC (without digital readout): NL3Z-19980-S/NL3T-18C612-TB
  • OBDLink EX (or other FORScan compatible OBDLink cable)
  • Latest FORScan software with license
  • Tools needed for dashboard disassembly
  • Tools needed for steering column disassembly (I should note that my steering wheel bolt was actually Torx PLUS TP-50 and not standard Torx T-50. Important to minimize risk of stripping).
  • Steering wheel bolt: W721079-S437 (thanks to @Chop96 for the PN). Technically, Ford PTS states that the steering wheel bolt is single use and should be replaced with a new one. However, I had the help of someone with deep knowledge (significantly higher than dealer technician level) and he said reuse is completely fine as long as it is torqued to spec - 46 foot-pounds per PTS).
Obviously you only need one of the HVAC modules. See below for a discussion as to which one you should buy.

Also, it should be meantioned that instead of sourcing the SCCM and HVAC separately, you can purchase them together (at a really good price) from BGGD as a bundle. They also include a harness that is not needed in the MY23 Raptor. The HVAC included in this kit is NL3Z-19980-S, without digital readout.

Do I need the HVAC/which HVAC should I buy?

Good question.

The answer to question 1 is, NO, the HVAC is not necessary, but you will have to enable the soft buttons on SYNC using Unreal SYNC theme.

Assuming you want a hardware button: there have been many of us, myself included, that have had issues programming the digital readout HVAC. No such reports with the non-digital readout part. Unfortunately, the non-digital readout HVAC is significantly more expensive. That said, if you want to be sure that there will be no issues getting the HVAC programmed with FORScan, I suggest the non-digital readout HVAC.

I did ultimately get the digital readout HVAC programmed, however, it required access to FDRS and a compatible cable (such as a Mongoose cable). Note that the cable and access to FDRS are not cheap. FDRS was able to reprogram the digital readout HVAC to as-built values, after which I was able to make the necessary modifications with FORScan.

Some people have been able to get the digital readout HVAC to accept programming from FORScan directly (using both versions *.50 and *.51), but this was not my experience, and I believe others had similar issues as well. The reason for the inconsistency isn't totally clear to me, but it may have to do with software version on the HVAC. If you have access to FDRS and a compatible cable, I would say it is extremely likely be able to get the digital readout HVAC working. If not, I'd say it's a bit of a crapshoot.

What about programming?

Programming is done with Forscan. It’s imperative that you back up your original as built data for the APIM, HVAC, and SCCM before starting. For good measure, I made backups of all modules and saved them somewhere. Yes you can download your AB data using Forscan but better safe than sorry.

After installing the SCCM and HVAC you’ll want to write your original AB values to those two modules. Then you’ll have to make modifications to HVAC, SCCM, and APIM in order to enable HSW functionality. The best resource for programming is the BGGD spreadsheet. See below.

Has anyone put a guide together to help me pull this off?
  • @Andrews made a video that's extremely helpful. See here: #66
  • Another great video from @SuperSafety here. (He also did the interior ambient light retrofit): #221
  • If you buy from BGGD, you will get a PDF with step by instructions that is extremely helpful. It is particularly helpful for FORScan programming. I've attached those pages to this post. Not sure they'd be happy with me posting the entire PDF.
  • Other users in this thread have done the retrofit successfully and I'm sure would be willing to help - myself included!
  • Some tips from @xlover:
    • Use a cheap craft felt sheet from Amazon to lay over the console and move around as needed to protect parts from scratching.
    • Before disconnecting battery, move seats as far back and down as they go, steering column as far out as it goes, put shifter in down position.
    • Consider a second set of hands when replacing steering wheel bolt, hard to simultaneously get leverage on the torque wrench, hold the wrench in place, and stop the steering wheel from rotating.
    • Triple check the thigh trim pieces (otherwise called "hockey stick" trim pieces). There are three slots to ensure it sits flush to the dash/hvac panel, ensuring the top slot grabs while lining up the lower ones took a few tries. Mistake here leaves an obvious gap next to the hvac panel.
  • Also with regards to the long trim piece that goes the entire length of the dash from the ignition button to the passenger side AC vent, there is a clip that has a tendency to fall out, creating a gap between the trim piece and the "Flag" accent beneath the AC vent. This was identified by @Wichadicha. He also identified a suitable replacement part that you can get from Amazon here. See photo below:

screen-shot-2023-03-09-at-9-24-01-am-jpeg.396708

Miscellaneous
  • While you've got the dash all disassembled, you may want to tackle the ambient light retrofit. It's beyond the scope of this thread, but you can find a great 3 part guide posted by user @FoxNotch in the Gen3 interior forum. Part 1 Part 2 Part 3
How did you use FDRS to manually do the as built programming? The digital HVAC is working but if I try and PMI it it says wrong hardware. At the moment the heated seats and wheel buttons do not work. I do not see a way to manually program like you could with IDS. HVAC module isn't even populating for me in the latest Forscan.

blwn

Full Access Member
Reaction score
How did you use FDRS to manually do the as built programming? The digital HVAC is working but if I try and PMI it it says wrong hardware. At the moment the heated seats and wheel buttons do not work. I do not see a way to manually program like you could with IDS. HVAC module isn't even populating for me in the latest Forscan.

Make sure you're not using a saved profile in Forscan

madcoil

Reaction score
Hey guys , the dealer just did mine under the satisfaction program they sent out on my 23 raptor .

Now , they had issues and said they don’t know how to fix it waiting on reply from ford .

They change clock spring and hvac controls .

Heated steering wheel works but the heated and cooled seats do not . The defrost does not , and the dual zone does not work and is blank on the top right of the screen . Very frustrating .

Iv since checked the codes in forscan and everything is programmed per this thread. Iv reloaded the as builts and reset sccm and hvac . Reprogrammed codes and resets again.

I can’t get it to work at all . There saying they need to wait on ford but surely this is a programming issue? Any input would be great . Thanks

cfmistry

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey guys , the dealer just did mine under the satisfaction program they sent out on my 23 raptor .

Now , they had issues and said they don’t know how to fix it waiting on reply from ford .

They change clock spring and hvac controls .

Heated steering wheel works but the heated and cooled seats do not . The defrost does not , and the dual zone does not work and is blank on the top right of the screen . Very frustrating .

Iv since checked the codes in forscan and everything is programmed per this thread. Iv reloaded the as builts and reset sccm and hvac . Reprogrammed codes and resets again.

I can’t get it to work at all . There saying they need to wait on ford but surely this is a programming issue? Any input would be great . Thanks
This is the exact program everyone has until they re-load the AS-BUILT data from the old HVAC unit to the new one. I’m surprised and sorry that didn’t fix it for you.

madcoil

Reaction score
I agree that’s what I have read here I don’t understand why that process isn’t working . I did notice the as built data for the hvac is all zeros . Is that how everyone else’s is? I’m sure when ford did the programming per ford instructions they used fdrs. Could that have changed as built data from the motorcraft site as I have double checked it with that as well . Pretty stumped myself

madcoil

Reaction score
This is the exact program everyone has until they re-load the AS-BUILT data from the old HVAC unit to the new one. I’m surprised and sorry that didn’t fix it for you.
Sorry I should be more clear . What I mean is I don’t have the original as built data . When I download it from motorcraft it already has the new changes everyone has made for things to work . So somehow under this program and ford using fdrs my as built has been updated in there system? That’s the only thing I can think of because all changes for heated wheel are made in the data when reloaded already

ekalb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Do you (or they) have access to your original HVAC and SCCM? If so, reinstall them, grab their as-built data properly and then load that data onto the new parts that aren't working at the moment.

It shouldn't take them more than an hour to do that.

madcoil

Reaction score
Do you (or they) have access to your original HVAC and SCCM? If so, reinstall them, grab their as-built data properly and then load that data onto the new parts that aren't working at the moment.

It shouldn't take them more than an hour to do that.
I agree that’s probably what needs to happen , unfortunately I asked for them yesterday and there already saying they can’t find them on top of that I’m good friends with the owner and we did actually try to locate them together in the building with no luck . Possibly when that tech is back in after the weekend he has some onsite on which ones came from my truck

cfmistry

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I agree that’s probably what needs to happen , unfortunately I asked for them yesterday and there already saying they can’t find them on top of that I’m good friends with the owner and we did actually try to locate them together in the building with no luck . Possibly when that tech is back in after the weekend he has some onsite on which ones came from my truck
Outside of Ford resending you the original data (if they even have it), I think finding the old unit is your best bet. You’ll have everything working in 5 minutes. Can’t blame the tech this is more like software programming than being a mechanic!

madcoil

Reaction score
Got a call from the dealer today that ford had sent a fix , of course it was some type of update with fdrs and it fixed the problem . Woulda of been less stressful and time consuming swapping myself but it was free lol