Gen2 Discussion for Gen1 Owners

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Status
Not open for further replies.

ZaneMasterX

FRF Addict
Reaction score
It's not calling it soft, it's making it soft.

Hope everyone realizes once they tune, the power train warranty goes out the window.

You call it making it soft, I call it making it marketable to a larger demographic and the last time I checked Ford is in the business of selling. The new systems arent going to make the truck worse offroad than if it didnt have the systems.

And about the tune, do it through Ford Performance and your warranty could very well stay valid. Road and Track Article on Ford Performance Tuners

pirate air

will plunder your booty
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You call it making it soft, I call it making it marketable to a larger demographic and the last time I checked Ford is in the business of selling. The new systems arent going to make the truck worse offroad than if it didnt have the systems.

And about the tune, do it through Ford Performance and your warranty could very well stay valid. Road and Track Article on Ford Performance Tuners

It does make it more marketable. But then again the first gen didn't have problems selling.

Good point on the Fords programmers. People could possibly have one tune option if they make one for the Raptor Eco. You know most that tune will wanna go bat shit crazy wth it.

---------- Post added at 08:49 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:31 PM ----------

I'm interested in it. Likely not until 18-19, in hopes of some form of V8, because it's just hard to swallow a cutting edge truck with a dinky V6.

From the looks department, interior is spot on. They've made the necessary changes and added a few more switches. I think we can all agree the hit the mark there. From the exterior, the front grill is growing on me, but the other body lines (fenders, bedsides, etc) just don't have the same pop like the Gen 1 did. Seems too tame, in my opinion. But on the flip side, this brings in a larger demographic for someone who just wants to say they bought a Raptor and never use it off-road. I'm sure there will be companies out there pushing the boundaries with the direct injected V6TT (AMS possibly), but from a maintenance perspective, we'll have to find out from @pirate air what the recommended interval will be for walnut shell blasting the carbon'd up valves. I'm also curious as to why the 10-speed vs. the 8-speed. One of the guys on the F150 forum had the shift points and parameters, and the 10-speed doesn't really get you much more than the 8-speed does, but since it is an unproven transmission, we won't know until they come out.

Overall, I think it will be a great truck. It will be better in the suspension department stock-for-stock.

A more realistic answer to the nut blasting is the gen two might not ever need it. The carbon issues are a definite problem in the current gens with no real practice solution. When they announced the gen 2 Eco as having both direct and port injection, my initial thought was the port injection was there to supply fuel during low boost conditions which should keep the valves washed. Only other reason to have it would be to supply extra fuel, but due to the nature of the ecoboost and its relatively high cylinder pressures, I doubt any fuel could be port injected and scavenged during high boost/load without it detonating like crazy. So at this point, I still think the port injection is there to combat carbon. But maybe there's been a ford PowerPoint presentation I missed and it has port injection for some other reason and walnut blasting will need to be done every 30k. It's dark matter shit.

OP
OP
WyoStorm

WyoStorm

FRF Addict
Reaction score
My sister has a Land Rover LR4 and it has 'Terrain Response' 'Rock Crawl', and some other modes. They all seem to work great for their purpose. Pretty much takes the guess work out of the situation.

So yes, for the Raptor its dumbing down all the systems so every normal Joe can figure it out. So now when someone goes into the snow/sand/rocks/mud/etc, they dont have to ask themselves "Should I lock the rear diff?" "What 4x4 mode do I need?" "Do I need to turn off esp/bas/traction control?" It does what is best for MOST (not all) situations when it comes to those terrains and for most people itll be fine.

Sure some might call it making the Raptor "soft" or a "street queen" but all its doing is making it less intimidating for people not as comfortable with offroading or all the systems and what they are/should be used for.

If Ford was smart they would put a "dont do shit mode" where everything is turned off and you can then turn things on/off a la carte style to suit what you want for your exact situation. Think of this mode as a hardcore offroad mode that takes a couple steps to activate. That way everyone is happy.

Id take 475hp and 546 lb-ft. Throw some intake and exhaust bits on with a tune and youre already way past the 500hp mark with a little investment.

And I think that is why you see so many gen1 owners complaining as apparently Ford is trying to do exactly that. Appeal to everyone with the gen2 Raptor. And we're saying, can we just have one vehicle that remains a specialty vehicle designed specifically for high speed desert running? Just upgrade a few things here and there with a new design, fine but don't soccer mom it or dumb it down. If they want to appeal to everyone, then at least make two or three different versions. A DD/Soccer mom version (TTV6), a gen2 with upgrades strictly focused on the high speed off-road genre (with a v8) and even a Raptor R version with even more high-speed off road in mine!

In the end, I look forward to seeing some gen2s on the road, hearing what you guys say about them and hopefully meeting some of you at Raptor runs but that doesn't mean we still don't hope for at least a v8 option by the 2018 model year (or sooner).

Last edited:

pirate air

will plunder your booty
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The gen 1 down hill assist does a great job for its purpose. It also does a great job of baking the brakes- heats them faster then you would have by just applying them yourself.

If the terrian management uses torque vectoring via brakes, will we see the same accelerated brake temperatures?

Five-O Donut Hole

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I'm not sold on the looks yet. The squared off edges make it look better suited for slow speed log road romping (think power wagon), not bombing 80 miles per hour down a sand wash in a sleek fashion.

I think it's also taking a softer route and has swayed from its relatively hard core off road beginnings. But the softer approach will probably satisfy all the road queens which probably make up the majority of the sales base. The truck will have instant aftermarket support thanks to the gen 1, so any soft short comings should be easily improved.

I have to wonder how slapped together the gen 2 was/is during development. Ford has so many special projects going on at once I have to wonder if resources will eren't skimped. Looking back at the lengths Ford took on the gen1 and I see none of that happening with the gen2. The gen2 will sell regardless due to the gen1 success. Ford could easily slap the truck together and sell it like it hot cakes to all street queens who will believe the truck is all that because it is RAPTOR and therefor bad ass.

Get ur shit straight Pirate...it's "Street Kings"

2014RubyRed

FRF Addict
Reaction score
To the 'making it soft' point. I've drove just about every truck ever made. And those that know me understand that when I say drive, I mean I drive a lot. I've got almost 75k on my 2014, and this is still the lowest mile vehicle I have ever owned. But, it is also the most fun and challenging.

Having a dial that does it all is going to remove some (edit: a lot) of that fun. On just about run I have been on, I have used different combinations of traction control, shifting styles, off-road modes, etc. NONE of them have fallen into any of the new 'offered' turns of a dial that are coming out on the new truck. Sure, if your going to drive down a sandy wash only. Or climb rocks only. Or drive in 3-4 inches of snow only. These are gonna help.

But just for example, at Snoball a few weeks ago, we were drifting down snow covered roads at 40 -50 mph one minute, and the next minute we were climbing inclines that were rocky and rutted, and then we were driving down roads with 10 - 12 inches of fresh snow on them. It took many different types of throttle and gear variations to navigate that. I don't see the fun in just turning a dial and being able to do it like ordering a meal at McDonalds. I enjoyed the challenge.

Sure, it may allow new drivers the ability to handle some of these off road challenges, but they won't have the thrill of LEARNING why the truck is doing it. I'm not an off road pro, but I sure as hell have learned a lot more about it than I ever did driving all the other dumb-downed trucks I've had that did all the thinking for me. One important thing I have learned is this - more power doesn't mean shit when you don't need it.

A very small percentage of very lucky people live where they can just point the truck down a line on the compass and let it all hang out. Not saying that doesn't take a great deal of skill and knowledge to do, but I am used to trails and hills and mountains where you cherish the opportunity to just open it up and go. The rest of the time it is very technical off road conditions where a shit ton of power isn't all that important.

I'm most looking forward to seeing Ford offer a big ol V8 that is throaty, and loud and has the horsepower and torque that I am used to having in those technical situations. And if the V6 is here to stay, then I hope they offer an 'enthusiasts' mode that shuts all the fancy shit off and just lets the driver drive......

Status
Not open for further replies.