Gen 3.52 R shutting down, like completely

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

highway420

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I hate to even search for a post relating to this and to find that it does not seem to be anyone else's issue.. least that I could find.

I have a new 24 R. took delivery in April. has about 2700+ miles on it. all street. until last weekend. I had gone to Pismo beach for a little gathering that SOCAL/NORCAL Raptor Runs was putting on. Great time for that. And being involved with that, meant for me, some mild playing around. Much less than I have done in both my past raptors. Gens 2 and 3.

Seems like the more computers they put in these things, the harder it can to diagnose anything.
The excursion for the day included, just putzing around on the sand and lining up for one jump..which was a hill that you go up and just fly over and barely get the legs stretched. Meaning, not a big jump by any means at all. Landing was soft as you are going down hill and it meets up with you.

All went really well, as expected for the great Raptor and it's beautiful design.. Go back to hotel, stay for another two days..drive ALL THE WAY back to LA area.. mind you, using the ACC most of the time. So the 'electronics/sensors' must have been just fine. Even had severe stop-n-go traffic at one point from an accident, and were going 0-5 mph for over 25 min.

Drive another hour and got to literally the second light before my street... 3+ hours of driving, stop n go, got off for fuel.. etc.. Red light turns green.. I lift off brake pedal, and go for the skinny one.. and ****!!.. The truck literally shuts down. Like completely. all electronics, shifter didn't even move into park.. nothing. like an EMP.. cars lined up behind me, you know the thoughts now... sh*t.. brand new truck and I'm gonna have to get out and wave ppl arou....wait.. 'pressed start button', with even more hesitation as I know someone who had this issue of not starting up after turning off.. but they had lights on dash etc.. and it didn't just shut down on him, but none the less.. had the thought...

Luckily it started right back up... but the main though after that? Could that have happened while driving at speed?? any speed?? Right after that, I lost some functionality of the 'modes'.. simple things like the exhaust/shocks, but the steering one still 'showed up'... couple other lights on..

Fast forward to the next night. Drove truck down the street, about 2 miles, to get tacos for dinner... no prob. get there, parked, no issues..

Got home, and was backing into my driveway, and **** again! only this time it came back on 2 seconds later with noises and saying parking brake is faulty and to check advanc trac... and would not start back up. I turned off and let sit for 2 hours.. came back out and started it up fine and even operated the PB and it was fine. moved the truck in and out of driveway... fine.. OK wtf?

This morning, go walk 5 feet from it and try to remote start it.. didn't respond to it. Lights flashed for unlock, and lock.. but when hitting the start button the two times, it did nothing at all.. I then got in it to start from inside.. it worked.

I think there's connection that must have maybe shook loose? where do I even begin to look? Could the addition of an sPOD have this kind of effect ? Shouldn't, right?
Only adds lately are that and S2's in the pockets, S8 behind grill, and LP4's on pillars. Ran lights on sand, but only the ambers backlighting on the LPs and the S8 were going when the first round happened.

Thoughts and comments please. really do not want to entertain the thought of going to a dealer for a brand new truck..

@FordTechOne have you encountered this phenomenon at all?

kirkb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Great to see your R out at Pismo.

Ironically I had an issue as well - and while the truck didn't die, some of the same warnings came on for me. However, I knew the cause - after the official event we went back out and I got stuck in a deep hole and buried to the frame. Got towed out by an SXS and as we were nearing the top, I ran over the kinectic rope (I saw it but kept in the throttle as I didnt want to wind up not making it out). Well that wrapped around my front wheel and took out the ABS speed sensor.

Drove it home, took it to Ford, they replaced it for me and all is back in business.

So my recommendation would be to check all 4 wheels and see if the cables to the ABS sensors are connected fully.

HighwaySentinel

︻デ┳═ー - - - - - - -
Reaction score
Have you retrieved any of the trouble codes from your computer? Forscan is good for that. Or any other OBD2 reader.

OP
OP
highway420

highway420

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Great to see your R out at Pismo.

Ironically I had an issue as well - and while the truck didn't die, some of the same warnings came on for me. However, I knew the cause - after the official event we went back out and I got stuck in a deep hole and buried to the frame. Got towed out by an SXS and as we were nearing the top, I ran over the kinectic rope (I saw it but kept in the throttle as I didnt want to wind up not making it out). Well that wrapped around my front wheel and took out the ABS speed sensor.

Drove it home, took it to Ford, they replaced it for me and all is back in business.

So my recommendation would be to check all 4 wheels and see if the cables to the ABS sensors are connected fully.
Great to see you out there as well! I have a video of you getting pulled out by the SXS... impressive recovery that was for sure.

I did check that knowing that's a main cause of things like this, however, never heard of it just turning off the truck.

I heard a noise--thought it was a hub, but being so new, I was really hoping it was not. I had a bunch of wire for my future radio install tied up on the drivers side as it's not installed just yet. I had found that had dropped through the opening and was hanging around all the other wires that are attached to hub there. nothing seemed out of place or torn/ripped/disconnected. I do think it may have pulled on it just enough..only say this because I was parking the next evening and had to pull towards some plants in order to line up and my wheels were cranked to the left and the truck just locked the brake (only moving .5 mph) but was sudden enough where it torqued my hand on the wheel.. I thought it was just a dirty enough sensor and made the truck overreact a bit and avoid 'collision' with the plants..lol...

OP
OP
highway420

highway420

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Have you retrieved any of the trouble codes from your computer? Forscan is good for that. Or any other OBD2 reader.
I should have done this already, you're right.. I need to check on that. there are no codes/dummy lights on now, but doesn't mean it was not stored, right? that was the plan tonight, but wanted to get this situation on the forum sooner than later thinking someone will have better ideas than me.

I have both forscan and a simple reader. will throw reader on to see if anything pops and then go with forscan..

FordTechOne

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think there's connection that must have maybe shook loose? where do I even begin to look? Could the addition of an sPOD have this kind of effect ? Shouldn't, right?
Only adds lately are that and S2's in the pockets, S8 behind grill, and LP4's on pillars. Ran lights on sand, but only the ambers backlighting on the LPs and the S8 were going when the first round happened.

Thoughts and comments please. really do not want to entertain the thought of going to a dealer for a brand new truck..

@FordTechOne have you encountered this phenomenon at all?
It sounds like it’s intermittently losing a ground.

Start with the variable, which is the aftermarket equipment. None of the factory power or ground circuits should be used for anything aftermarket, that’s one of the most common causes of issues such as this. All it takes is minimal additional resistance or electrical “noise” in a main ground to pull down modules and cause symptoms such as systems powering down and engine stalling.

OP
OP
highway420

highway420

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It sounds like it’s intermittently losing a ground.

Start with the variable, which is the aftermarket equipment. None of the factory power or ground circuits should be used for anything aftermarket, that’s one of the most common causes of issues such as this. All it takes is minimal additional resistance or electrical “noise” in a main ground to pull down modules and cause symptoms such as systems powering down and engine stalling.

OK.. baja designs had installed the sPOD for me along with the lights..-except the LPs.. all of them have used the spod's positive and ground connection which in turn goes directly to the battery.. so no use of random ground or hot wires at all. Have not even hooked up the 'trigger' connection for the sPOD..(using ignition activated wires to trigger an action within the pod.) the only somewhat factory connection would be the reverse S2's where you would use the trailer harness to T off for the reverse light trigger..

By 'losing' ground, it will look like a short and completely turn off? Everything went blank.. everything.. no noises, no dummy lights.. event the shifter stayed in D.. which we know likes to default to park sometimes.

interestingly enough, I tried to use an OBD II to read the truck... does that no longer work with these gens of computers? said no link 3 times. have not had a chance to connect to Fscan just yet. will try tonight if I can.

If it's not the aftermarket equip.. then where should I be looking?

thank you very much for replying to this, always appreciate your input.

OP
OP
highway420

highway420

Full Access Member
Reaction score

This is I tried with this morning.. it does not seem to connect at all.. too basic? should still at least connect. I will try forscan this evening if it works out..

and try to track the wiring for the spod again.. didn't see anything suspect there just yet.. which one do you ya'll use for the basic code pulls? Thinking of getting another one slightly more useful with bigger screen and maybe codes desc displayed instead of just the ##'s

IMG_0936.JPEG

smurfslayer

Be vewwy, vewwy quiet. We’re hunting sasquatch77
Reaction score
Luckily it started right back up... but the main though after that? Could that have happened while driving at speed?? any speed?? Right after that, I lost some functionality of the 'modes'.. simple things like the exhaust/shocks, but the steering one still 'showed up'... couple other lights on..

Fast forward to the next night. Drove truck down the street, about 2 miles, to get tacos for dinner... no prob. get there, parked, no issues..

Got home, and was backing into my driveway, and **** again! only this time it came back on 2 seconds later with noises and saying parking brake is faulty and to check advanc trac... and would not start back up. I turned off and let sit for 2 hours.. came back out and started it up fine and even operated the PB and it was fine. moved the truck in and out of driveway... fine.. OK wtf?
sounds possessed

200.gif
get an exorcism.

Try with FORScan and a good OBD2 dongle to check the diagnostic trouble codes.
Stalling out or going dark is not good and should be investigated immediately.

OP
OP
highway420

highway420

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yes I agree.. OBD II did not work.. however.. thanks to Forscan, i now see plenty o codes.

i was able to clear all except the TCU.. which kept coming up as ' not available ..' and threw a code each time.

It has not done this since those two times, one day apart, but obviously don't want it to at all.

I have DL'd the codes for all here to read and help me understand what TF the truck did.

I do not think/feel it is the sPOD at this point, could be wrong, but hopefully the combined effort of armchair techs and experts alike can shed some light on this un godly event.

What is even stranger is the times/dates it has stamped these.. maybe this has been an issue that was festering.. ?

The PCM, ABS, and TCU had codes. I may have dated the file from when something noticeable happened, but the dates on the TCs are more than one day..

Attachments

• DTCs from July 24 pismo.txt
    15.7 KB · Views: 24
Last edited: