Gen 3 2021 Ford Raptor with 37's has a different frame, than 2021 Raptor with 35's

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

melvimbe

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I don't know if it will be $10k. Even "less than $6k" would probably be $5,995. No matter, it's a ton of money to pay for slightly bigger tires.

Ford didn't even need to offer 37s. IMO since they cancelled the SCAB and the previous 800A package that almost nobody bought, they are now using 37s as another way to turn a $53k base MSRP truck into a $75k truck like they did last time. Making 801A the new 800A, and getting rid of the SCAB, they need some new boxes to tick for us to bump the price up over $70k.

Again IMO the 37 performance package is designed for Ford to milk a lot more profit on these trucks at virtually zero additional cost to Ford. You get different fox shocks (you already paid for fox shocks), different tires (you already were paying for 35s), different seats (you already paid for seats), stickers (stickers are virtually free). So maybe $500, $1k max of upgrade cost to Ford, easily a $5,995 package to you the buyer.

OEM option for 37s was a really good idea in my opinion. The fact is that a lot of customers want 37s and will get this package. Sure, you could do it yourself aftermarket, but from the factory, you get some piece of mind, warranty, not have to do the work to get it done, and the spare option.

What I don't like is throwing 37s in with an other goodies that are clearly unrelated and Ford knows that people clearly won't all want. Decals are one thing, since they can be removed, but Ford has to know that a significant portion of customers won't want blue seats.

The 'good' news is that there is precedent for Ford to change their option/package offerings based on customer feedback. If not for 2021, certainly a possibility for 2022. If people are avoiding the package enough, they will have no choice to restructure it.

GordoJay

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Does anyone know if it is drastic decrease in MPG's with the 37's?

That's a big question, and one possible reason that Ford needs to make a lot of money on them, since it could lead to penalties under CAFE. I'm not sure how that works, but I'll bet someone here does.

GT3_Bill

Reaction score
Again IMO the 37 performance package is designed for Ford to milk a lot more profit on these trucks at virtually zero additional cost to Ford. You get different fox shocks (you already paid for fox shocks), different tires (you already were paying for 35s), different seats (you already paid for seats), stickers (stickers are virtually free). So maybe $500, $1k max of upgrade cost to Ford, easily a $5,995 package to you the buyer.

Have you been paying attention for the last 10 years? This is the MO for virtually every car company. Hell Ferrari hits you for $4k to add CarPlay lol.

STiago1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
"With its standard 36-gallon capacity, Raptor has a projected EPA-estimated range of more than 500 miles on a full tank of gas" thats like 14mpg combined perhaps

FordTechOne

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don't know if it will be $10k. Even "less than $6k" would probably be $5,995. No matter, it's a ton of money to pay for slightly bigger tires.

Ford didn't even need to offer 37s. IMO since they cancelled the SCAB and the previous 800A package that almost nobody bought, they are now using 37s as another way to turn a $53k base MSRP truck into a $75k truck like they did last time. Making 801A the new 800A, and getting rid of the SCAB, they need some new boxes to tick for us to bump the price up over $70k.

Then don’t tick the boxes. Nobody is forcing you to get those options.

You must not have a background in manufacturing; every change has an substantial associated cost. They’re not just swapping parts and calling it good. The entire vehicle needs to be calibrated and tested in both configurations; that is a massive amount of work from an engineering standpoint. Ford needs to pay the supplier (Fox) for the changes made to the shocks, and the shocks need to be tuned and validated on the trucks. Recaro seats are expensive even for Ford to buy, and even after the initial price they need to be integrated with the rest of the trucks safety systems (OCSM, RCM, airbags, etc). Those “stickers” you speak of also have an associated cost to design as well as validate their ability to stand up to the environment. The 37” tires required changes to the manufacturing plant, as the facility and equipment were never designed to handle tires of that size. All in all Ford has hundreds of thousands of dollars invested in this package that you claim only costs them $1k; that is simply not the case.

gobluejd

HAIL!!!
Reaction score
Then don’t tick the boxes. Nobody is forcing you to get those options.

You must not have a background in manufacturing; every change has an substantial associated cost. They’re not just swapping parts and calling it good. The entire vehicle needs to be calibrated and tested in both configurations; that is a massive amount of work from an engineering standpoint. Ford needs to pay the supplier (Fox) for the changes made to the shocks, and the shocks need to be tuned and validated on the trucks. Recaro seats are expensive even for Ford to buy, and even after the initial price they need to be integrated with the rest of the trucks safety systems (OCSM, RCM, airbags, etc). Those “stickers” you speak of also have an associated cost to design as well as validate their ability to stand up to the environment. The 2
37” tires required changes to the manufacturing plant, as the facility and equipment were never designed to handle tires of that size. All in all Ford has millions invested in this package that you claim only costs them $1k; that is simply not the case.

I am a Supplier to most Car Manufacturers (E-Coat Systems). I can tell you it is no small challenge. I think if you watch the Video I posted above, you will appreciate the Engineering that went into play for the last 3 years. Ford Dearborn worked with the design team to make it happen, both on paper and real life.

It is funny how some of these arm chair engineers are just like give me everything I want. They have to justify costs. Also what I find interesting is eveyone is talking about the TRX, not being a Raptor owner (yet) I can assure you the amount of thought that goes into the Raptor is not some guy just writing on paper napkins and then right to production. This Raptor surpasses everything about the TRX except the V8, which is not needed when it comes down to it.

It is amazing to me how they label it as the most connected off-road vehicle, watch the video and you will truly understand what all happens in this 2021.

melvimbe

FRF Addict
Reaction score
You must not have a background in manufacturing; every change has an substantial associated cost. They’re not just swapping parts and calling it good. The entire vehicle needs to be calibrated and tested in both configurations; that is a massive amount of work from an engineering standpoint. Ford needs to pay the supplier (Fox) for the changes made to the shocks, and the shocks need to be tuned and validated on the trucks. Recaro seats are expensive even for Ford to buy, and even after the initial price they need to be integrated with the rest of the trucks safety systems (OCSM, RCM, airbags, etc). Those “stickers” you speak of also have an associated cost to design as well as validate their ability to stand up to the environment. The 37” tires required changes to the manufacturing plant, as the facility and equipment were never designed to handle tires of that size. All in all Ford has hundreds of thousands of dollars invested in this package that you claim only costs them $1k; that is simply not the case.

I completely get that there is a lot of costs associated with the 37s option. I also get that much of that cost in development etc, is spread out to all the vehicles sold to that option. Whatever the package cost is, I have no doubt that Ford is covering that cost and some profit as well. No problem with that, particularly since we don't have package prices yet.

I also understand that it saves money to provide options in bundles that people will typically buy together. People who want tech tend to get all the tech, so put all the tech in an option package. Not everyone who gets 37s will care about the spare tire, but most do, so put them in the same package. The exceptions who don't care about spare will have to live with it.

I just find recaro seats and blue interior with 37s to be an odd pairing for a package, one that I think a significant number of customers won't like. Seriously, I think myself and others would almost rather pay the same for 37s package w/o recaros as they would for with. I certainly know what I'd choice if it was $5.5k for 37s, and $6 for 37s with recaros.

FordTechOne

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I completely get that there is a lot of costs associated with the 37s option. I also get that much of that cost in development etc, is spread out to all the vehicles sold to that option. Whatever the package cost is, I have no doubt that Ford is covering that cost and some profit as well. No problem with that, particularly since we don't have package prices yet.

I also understand that it saves money to provide options in bundles that people will typically buy together. People who want tech tend to get all the tech, so put all the tech in an option package. Not everyone who gets 37s will care about the spare tire, but most do, so put them in the same package. The exceptions who don't care about spare will have to live with it.

I just find recaro seats and blue interior with 37s to be an odd pairing for a package, one that I think a significant number of customers won't like. Seriously, I think myself and others would almost rather pay the same for 37s package w/o recaros as they would for with. I certainly know what I'd choice if it was $5.5k for 37s, and $6 for 37s with recaros.

I agree, I am not seeing the correlation between the 37” package and Recaro interior upgrade.