Gen 2 High Mileage - Transmission

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

91Eunos

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well, on top of phaser replacement #4 (will probably just build a new motor instead), I may soon be joining those who have had to replace their transmissions. Had the valve body replaced under warranty along with a fluid and filter change at the end of 2023, just before it went out of warranty, but the harsh shifting is back…and far worse than before.

It hits hard after backing up, and again going from 1st to second gear, and sometimes won’t shift at all between 2nd and 3rd gear.

One event a couple weeks ago, I literally thought I’d been rear-ended on a shift…think it was 3rd to 4th gear, but not comepletely sure.

Talked to the service advisor at my local dealer and he told me my truck wouldn’t be covered under warranty, despite the next step after my valve body replacement being a rebuild with a change to the new design C-D-F clutch housing included.

Probably not a snowball’s chance in hell of getting them to do anything, but gonna call Ford Customer Service since this was definitely a known/identified problem on my truck before the transmission was out of warranty.

If that doesn’t work, I guess I’ll be going with one from Suncoast, or more likely, Tier One.

Anyone else I should be considering for transmission work?

letsgetthisdone

Full Access Member
Reaction score
There's nothing special in them, all clutchs, no bands. They just need to be clean and the stack heights need to be checked closely to be within spec. Call around to your local trans shops, or order from Sun Coast or ATS

91Eunos

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The more I learn, the more I think Tier One may be the better deal of the companies I’ve checked out so far…expensive, but you're getting a lot of upgrades for what they're charging.

I have no social media, and not gonna get an Insta-Face account just to be able to communicate with Richardson Performance, even though he seems like a super cool and knowledgeable guy. Wish I lived even just a little bit closer to do a face-to-face.

Which brings us to ATS. They’re very attractive to me due to proximity…I can get to his shop in under 5 hours, and as a bonus visit our daughter who’s in school up near there. Need to talk to him to see what he can actually do beyond a simple rebuild…it looks like he’s getting into 10R80s, but almost everything on his website is for BMW and Supra transmissions.

But again, I really like the options that Tier One offers. Especially the billet torque converter that I’d upgrade from the Sun Coast Pro-Loc that’s included in their 725 package. And T1 also does machine work to the housings, and uses the sun coast valve body; though it seems ATS does a valve body as well.

Guess I have some calls and emails to make!

And get a lift installed!

Last edited:

letsgetthisdone

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If your truck is mostly stock, or even just garrett turbos, I would NOT spend big money a on a torque converter. The stock one holds up just fine, see if you can have it refreshed and up graded the clutch material.

The ZF box in the Supra/BMW/Dodge's is a similar trans to the 10r80 in that it is all clutches and planet's, no bands.

Idk about Teir 1 only because they're rating a built 10r80 at 600hp when stock ones will 100% handle the mods they discuss (mild turbos or blowers), and in mustangs a stock trans routinely does 800whp+, or 900whp and run 9's with just a converter.

91Eunos

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If your truck is mostly stock, or even just garrett turbos, I would NOT spend big money a on a torque converter. The stock one holds up just fine, see if you can have it refreshed and up graded the clutch material.

The ZF box in the Supra/BMW/Dodge's is a similar trans to the 10r80 in that it is all clutches and planet's, no bands.

Idk about Teir 1 only because they're rating a built 10r80 at 600hp when stock ones will 100% handle the mods they discuss (mild turbos or blowers), and in mustangs a stock trans routinely does 800whp+, or 900whp and run 9's with just a converter.
As I continue my research, I think I figured out their HP ratings… I think they just use Suncoast’s ratings, since the T1 transmissions are largely based on Suncoast’s rebuild kits, with some other custom work done to the internals.