GEN 1 Gen 1 Coils - eBay (Part 2)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Reaction score
i was able to solve the loose pellet issue by adding a spacer. A piece of shrink wrap only shrunk on the spring end, the pellet is still free floating for a good conection.

IMG_0993.jpg

The coils themselves are hard to tell apart. The OEM has circular injection mold tool marks on it, the eBay does not (top eBay, bottom OEM)-

IMG_0982.jpg

The OEM weighs more too. OEM (without boot, spring, pellet) weighs 311g, the eBay weighs 261g. Not sure why, but it would seem something inside is smaller?

IMG_0970.jpg

Labels look different, OEM has grey printing on black and contains a paint mark, eBay is brighter. Info is the same and they both are marked FoMoCo. (OEM on left, eBay on right). Also while on this view, the connection for the lower plug wire only has one detent 'click' when you press the wire in. The OEM has 3 or 4. When you push the wire on, it goes click click click as you press the connection on fully. eBay only has 1 click.

IMG_0983.jpg

One other note of interest, the resistor pellets appear to be 1k Ohms -

IMG_0998.jpg

So in the end I think it was a worthwhile experiment. For $160 I confirmed the coils were indeed not working correctly. Truck went from getting 11-12 mpg to now getting 13-14 mpg. I was able to nurse it up to nearly 17 mpg after filling up and taking it easy for a little while. Yeah these are conterfeit coils, but they work. If they last a year great, and then I'll go spend the coin on a real set.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Cookie_Monster
Reaction score
Here's a side by side look. Very difficult to tell them apart. (OEM on the right)

*Note the angled part at the bottom of the OEM is because it had corroded and a bit of the plastic broke off. It should be square like the eBay.

IMG_0978.jpg

TomDirt

FRF Addict
Reaction score
"Labels look different, OEM has grey printing on black and contains a paint mark, eBay is brighter. Info is the same and they both are marked FoMoCo. (OEM on left, eBay on right). Also while on this view, the connection for the lower plug wire only has one detent 'click' when you press the wire in. The OEM has 3 or 4. When you push the wire on, it goes click click click as you press the connection on fully. eBay only has 1 click."

I replaced the set on my 2012 3.5 ecoboost back in January with a set from ebay. So far, so good.