GEN 2 Garage Layout with Scab

Which Garage Layout

Votes: 4 21.1%

Votes: 1 5.3%

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • #4 Wife Parks Outside all winter

Votes: 5 26.3%
  • Why are you so lame, don't you have something better to do?

Votes: 9 47.4%

• Total voters

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
BroncoAZ

BroncoAZ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Negative Houston.

So I think the wife as accumulated enough spousal points for a garage spot, even if it’s a token offer. I’d arrange it Rap next to wife’s peasant car. This gives more room to open the Rap doors. Project Bronc will need to live outside going forward, unless room is needed to work on the truck, short term.

I agree she has earned a spot, I’d rather she wasn’t clearing snow off the peasant car I’m going to foust on her when I sell her nice SUV to pay down my Raptor. All will be made right when her orange Bronco arrives. The Raptor and the peasant car can’t go in the two car bay together unless I squeeze the Raptor to the left by the shelving daily, which could eventually end in an accident. Just pulling the two in side by side means I couldn’t open the driver door. I don’t really want to back in daily, that is the way parking both in the two car could work but neither of us could open the passenger doors. I’m assuming it would be horribly expensive, but changing out the door to a 18’ wide would solve all problems.

If I had a space on the side of the house I could park the Bronco with a cover on it I would consider, but the first problem is that the Bronco isn’t water tight around the windshield, and the second problem is my HOA would shit themselves. We can park a daily driven vehicle outside, but only if the garage is holding the number of vehicles it was designed for. For the past nearly four years we’ve had three in the garage and my car outside.

mine is better than most in my neighborhood, but these friggin modern houses with the 20’ depth and 16’ doors just need to be bigger. If I ever build a home I’m doing 25’+ deep bays with either 20’ wide doubles or at a minimum 10’ wide singles.

OP
OP
BroncoAZ

BroncoAZ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I’m sorry to hear you’re HOA positive. They have great treatment options now.

I tried to avoid it, but in my area the non HOA neighborhoods are crap but still expensive (or super nice and $1M), or you’re out in the county on propane, a well, and no plowed roads.

txgunsntrucks

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I agree she has earned a spot, I’d rather she wasn’t clearing snow off the peasant car I’m going to foust on her when I sell her nice SUV to pay down my Raptor. All will be made right when her orange Bronco arrives. The Raptor and the peasant car can’t go in the two car bay together unless I squeeze the Raptor to the left by the shelving daily, which could eventually end in an accident. Just pulling the two in side by side means I couldn’t open the driver door. I don’t really want to back in daily, that is the way parking both in the two car could work but neither of us could open the passenger doors. I’m assuming it would be horribly expensive, but changing out the door to a 18’ wide would solve all problems.

If I had a space on the side of the house I could park the Bronco with a cover on it I would consider, but the first problem is that the Bronco isn’t water tight around the windshield, and the second problem is my HOA would shit themselves. We can park a daily driven vehicle outside, but only if the garage is holding the number of vehicles it was designed for. For the past nearly four years we’ve had three in the garage and my car outside.

mine is better than most in my neighborhood, but these friggin modern houses with the 20’ depth and 16’ doors just need to be bigger. If I ever build a home I’m doing 25’+ deep bays with either 20’ wide doubles or at a minimum 10’ wide singles.

I agree garages are too small these days.

Take into consideration that only x amount of feet can be spanned with standard joists before they need to be reinforced with beams to the floor, or made out of steel.

fordfreek

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If I was in your situation, I'd give my wife the single car bay, the bronco project in the other bay and my raptor outside. The extra room for the bronco project will be nice, no worries about squeezing your brand new raptor in and out of the garage daily and if you have to sweep a little snow off your truck occasionally, it's a small price to pay for keeping the raptor nice. But if the HOA won't allow that, put the bronco project in the center if it gives you more room to work.

OP
OP
BroncoAZ

BroncoAZ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If I was in your situation, I'd give my wife the single car bay, the bronco project in the other bay and my raptor outside. The extra room for the bronco project will be nice, no worries about squeezing your brand new raptor in and out of the garage daily and if you have to sweep a little snow off your truck occasionally, it's a small price to pay for keeping the raptor nice. But if the HOA won't allow that, put the bronco project in the center if it gives you more room to work.

When I’m actively working on the Bronco the Raptor would be parked outside so I’d have more room to work and wouldn’t have to worry about anything hitting it or burning it with welding slag. It’s driven daily, so the HOA wouldn’t be a problem. To me, keeping the Raptor nice means parking it in the garage. I get tired of having to clay bar tree sap from the ponderosa pines off my sedan that lives outside now, I don’t want to do that regularly on the Raptor.

Option 1 or 2 are the most likely right now. I’d be inclined to try option 2 first because I need a pallet jack to move my Lista box (no wheels).

JaLav

Reaction score
#1 & #4. I think backing it in is always best. Super easy with the camera & easier to egress the garage, unless you want to observe that no one enters the garage door as it closes. I like your pictures. I did that with my garages too, but to figure out where big tools, shelving, and my Garage Gym equipment.

fx4210

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would probably go with #2 for regular use assuming #4 makes the wife unhappy.

I actually have a similar dilemma, my 3 car garage wasn't designed for storage and a raptor with two other cars (only about 800 sq ft). So now I need to decide whether the wife's car goes outside or do I build a detached garage.

OP
OP
BroncoAZ

BroncoAZ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I set up the garage for option #1 today. It involved some use of a pallet jack and removing a tire off the Bronco to get the rear end into position. The Raptor has plenty of space with right at 11' from the right side of the door to the Bronco, and the car fits in the single bay just fine.

IMG_20200823_180607~2.jpg

Initially I put the wheel chocks outside the garage until the wife gets used to it, but she should do fine. The car is 81" wide at the mirrors and the door is 95" wide. The new Bronco is about 18” shorter than the car, and only 6” wider, so it would also be a good fit. If for some reason the Bronco doesn’t pan out she’d probably get a Subaru WRX.

IMG_20200823_180652~2.jpg

Last edited: