FRONT END STILL GRINDIND AFTER RCV INSTALL

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Antho

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Thats sounds pretty bad. The problem with the IWE delete is that your front axle shafts are always connected. I would suspect that its one of the axle shafts binding in the least worst case scenario. May want to go pick up a new pair.

DEXRAPTURD

Reaction score
Sounds like tire rub more than axle issue. You can remove axles and IWE to verify if it is axle related. If removed and this still happens you should check tire rubbing. My 2012 made the same noise until I did some fender trimming.

TomDirt

FRF Addict
Reaction score
If you have the oem tire/wheel combination then fender clearance isn't the problem. That clunking in reverse is definitely NOT tire scrub. That's metal on metal. Did you compare this (freewheeling) sound to the sound while actually IN 4wd?

Gumby

FRF Addict
Reaction score
It is CV axel noise. Period. The reason it comes up after a long drive. I have thoughts of why that might happen. but wouldn't not know for sure. watered down grease would be my first guess. Flat spot on one or more of the rollers.....or flat spot on the cup. witch will happen with watered down grease and when you did have functioning IWE the CV wore a flat spot on the cup or rollers. because they were not turning. then vacuum or IWE fail and you get the noise. You think it is the IWE witch it was a problem just not the cause of the noise. and here you are today.
Be mindful this is a sitting on my couch diagnosis with head phones.

TomDirt

FRF Addict
Reaction score
If you replace the axles, RockAuto sells these "extended articulation" units for the Gen 1 Raptor. They are gnarly compared to stock.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240918-144510_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20240918-144510_Chrome.jpg
    243.8 KB · Views: 3
  • 20240918_145035.jpg
    20240918_145035.jpg
    170.5 KB · Views: 3