Ford Performance Tune for Gen 3s

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

sfreedom97

Reaction score
I started a thread on this topic exactly a year ago after I spoke with FP. I called for a different reason and the rep willingly shared the “about 12 month timeframe” for a 3.5 HO tune.

I was all in but now not quite so sure if the tune’s potential issue down the road will negate an extended warranty like Granger or Flood Premium Care.

SMH. Wtf.

shigman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
yup... youd be nuts to buy it
My concern would be that if you do have it installed by the dealer, now there is a record of it. You're almost better off not having the dealer install it for warranty repairs. At that point though, what is the point of the FP tune? Unless of course no one is ever able to crack the newer trucks.

raydulce

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I spoke with Ford Performance about the Bronco Raptor tune. It only covers 3/36k from the purchase date of the vehicle not the tune purchase date. Also ESP/extended warranties are not covered. If the tune is determined to be the cause of the failure after the 3/36k expires the extended warranty will not cover the repairs.
That matches what I found too. I contact FP as Well as Fords ESP department. Ford ESP pretty much said the tune, although a Ford Performance Accessory, is considered "aftermarket" since it wasn't factory installed. If a failure was attributed to the tune, it would not be covered.

xlover

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That matches what I found too. I contact FP as Well as Fords ESP department. Ford ESP pretty much said the tune, although a Ford Performance Accessory, is considered "aftermarket" since it wasn't factory installed. If a failure was attributed to the tune, it would not be covered.
I think in practice though it would be much less likely an FP tune would drive a powertrain warranty void for a couple reasons. Not saying it wouldnt happen but when i look at the risk/reward of the tune this is how i plan to approach:
1) OEM source, if the FP tune started generating issues it would be publicly embarrassing to them, its not like a 3rd party source, customers will expect factory like quality. Nothing would drive attention to the FP tune causing problems more than denying powertrain warranty claims, Ford the brand would take the heat for their own product, not a good look. My bet is with a FP tune they will be DAMN sure the tune caused an issue. Contrast that to a 3rd party tune where the default will be the opposite, put ANY borderline issue onto the tune.
2) FP engineers are going to be more conservative, for both the above and because this is effective R+D for future calibrations. They aren't going to be targeting more power at any cost.
3) they are warrantying the tune to some extent, so it has been design to protect the powertrain components for a period of time without failure (read within ford acceptable failure tolerances). which goes back to #2

BryBurger

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I was excited about the FP Tune until I realized I lived in CA and the progressives in power here are far too green and hard up for EVs to let us have a performance tune in this state. I was able to install the tune on other FP vehicles previously in CA so apparently things have changed (shocking) since just a few years ago.

I will see how the tune goes with others Gen 3 owners before trying to find a way to install it. I know it will most likely require 91 octane and possibly lessen the MPG ratings due to more aggressive shifting points.

FoxNotch

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I was excited about the FP Tune until I realized I lived in CA and the progressives in power here are far too green and hard up for EVs to let us have a performance tune in this state. I was able to install the tune on other FP vehicles previously in CA so apparently things have changed (shocking) since just a few years ago.

I will see how the tune goes with others Gen 3 owners before trying to find a way to install it. I know it will most likely require 91 octane and possibly lessen the MPG ratings due to more aggressive shifting points.
The California tune converts it to electric.