Ford Performance Tune for Gen 3s

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

RaptorJoe331

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Whats wild to me is that Ford is tuning an engine in vehicles that have been recalled to have those engine replaced...
eh, 811 warranty claims to date out of a potential 91,000 vehicles... That's not going to slow down their development

Booth9999

Professional basket weaver level 7
Reaction score
I'd assume there is some sort of flash counter but it would be great if someone could verify.
There is a counter on the ECU that counts the number of ignition cycles since the last ECU reflash. So take it in for warranty work and there’s like seven cycles then they’ll know that the ECU information has been modified recently.

cog099

Reaction score
The 3/36k is a deal breaker and I agree, your better off getting a Goosetune if that's the case. i was excited at the thought of a performance increase with a factory warranty. What a let down.

I think the reason they are waiting to roll out the F150 Raptor tune has more to do toh Ram's RHO going into production around the same time.

No doubt they have an FP tune ready to roll out. I am sure it has been ready for a long time.

RaptorLK

Reaction score
It is total BS. Have you seen the amount of Bronco parts that Ford preformance offers? Its insane.
IMO, Dodge has forced Fords hand with the RHO. The next gen F150 Raptor will now have to meet, or beat, that mark with the Ecoboost engine Raptor. Remember, Ford Performance could be used as a kind of beta for future Ford products. Just winging it here, but perhaps the delay in Ford releasing this tune could be to more closely match the RHO performance numbers and use that information for R&D on the gen 4 Ecoboost Raptors. Having current owners test their new products on their own vehicles isn’t a bad idea. I’m not excited to be the guinea pig, if that is the case, but I’d do it anyway.

Swacer_2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The 3/36k is a deal breaker and I agree, your better off getting a Goosetune if that's the case. i was excited at the thought of a performance increase with a factory warranty. What a let down.

I think the reason they are waiting to roll out the F150 Raptor tune has more to do toh Ram's RHO going into production around the same time.

No doubt they have an FP tune ready to roll out. I am sure it has been ready for a long time.
Again, they have to prove that what broke was caused by the tune. I suppose if you have a sketchy dealer who doesn't like performing warranty work, then you might have an issue.

But if you sway bar breaks, the tune doesn't impact you.

If your turbo goes, unless they can show unusual wear or excessive high boost utilization, the tune doesn't impact you.

wirlp

Reaction score
Ive been seeing online that the 5 year 60K powertrain would possibly revert to a 3 year 36K warranty. Also you'd need to have it installed at a dealer to even get that. Information or speculation of information has been a little nebulous on the fine print of the tune with warranty coverage.
If this does in fact revert the factory warranty back to 3 year I’ll most likely wait till MPT and SCT crack the 23 and 24 raptors and go with their 93oct tune. You can reflash back to stock anytime you go to a dealer. Ran a 93 tune from MPT on my Gen 2 till 88k miles. 2 cam phaser replacements, transfer case vacuum hose later I traded it in. Dealers never gave me trouble with my premium care warranty. I always just reflashed back to the stock calibration before going in for warranty work.

kirkb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If this does in fact revert the factory warranty back to 3 year I’ll most likely wait till MPT and SCT crack the 23 and 24 raptors and go with their 93oct tune. You can reflash back to stock anytime you go to a dealer. Ran a 93 tune from MPT on my Gen 2 till 88k miles. 2 cam phaser replacements, transfer case vacuum hose later I traded it in. Dealers never gave me trouble with my premium care warranty. I always just reflashed back to the stock calibration before going in for warranty work.
Since the programmer is part of the purchase from Ford Performance, I would assume you could reflash back to stock any time with this option as well.

shigman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Since the programmer is part of the purchase from Ford Performance, I would assume you could reflash back to stock any time with this option as well.
Since it has to be flashed by the dealer or certified mechanic to maintain even the 36K miles warranty....Id imagine flashing it back and forth at home isn't going to maintain the warranty.

kirkb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Since it has to be flashed by the dealer or certified mechanic to maintain even the 36K miles warranty....Id imagine flashing it back and forth at home isn't going to maintain the warranty.
Ahh I did not realize the dealer had to do the flashing. Seems backwards to require the dealer to handle the flashing but supply/charge for a programmer. If the dealer has to do it, I would think they would just handle on the dealership computer systems vs providing a programmer.

shigman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think you are able to install it yourself....but if you want any sort of warranty better go to the dealer. However if you go to the dealer they definitely know you have had or have a tune. You're almost better off doing it yourself and at least keep it off the dealers initial radar. When a warranty repair is on the horizon, remove the tune and get a few dozen ignition cycles under its belt. This is my rudimentary thought process on the matter anyway.