Ford GEN2 Engine Start Up

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

vk35

Reaction score
So build date cutoff was 11/30/2019, which was part way through 2020 model year production.
I’ve got an interesting situation, ford dealer installed old rev cam phasers parts in 2021 according to my current ford dealer when I brought them my truck for the rattle. Don’t they obsolete or disposition old non conforming inventory. Surprised an old part made it to 2021 dealer inventory.

FordTechOne

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I’ve got an interesting situation, ford dealer installed old rev cam phasers parts in 2021 according to my current ford dealer when I brought them my truck for the rattle. Don’t they obsolete or disposition old non conforming inventory. Surprised an old part made it to 2021 dealer inventory.
The obsolete/superseded part numbers were purged from depots back in 2019. Ford does not keep old stock when it’s a TSB, that would defeat the entire purpose.

So unless your dealer kept a previous part number on the shelf for 2 years, you didn’t get the old part number. That can easily be verified once they’re removed, the part number is printed right on it.

What you need to actually be concerned with is the fact that the truck you bought managed to kill the updated parts. That’s caused by one of two things, FSA 21B10 was never completed, or the truck has damage to the camshaft mega caps from being run low on oil.

vk35

Reaction score
The obsolete/superseded part numbers were purged from depots back in 2019. Ford does not keep old stock when it’s a TSB, that would defeat the entire purpose.

So unless your dealer kept a previous part number on the shelf for 2 years, you didn’t get the old part number. That can easily be verified once they’re removed, the part number is printed right on it.

What you need to actually be concerned with is the fact that the truck you bought managed to kill the updated parts. That’s caused by one of two things, FSA 21B10 was never completed, or the truck has damage to the camshaft mega caps from being run low on oil.
That’s certainly concerning. I’ll ask the dealer for pictures of the part number once they remove it. Hopefully it’s indeed the old rev and not the new rev. The truck never made any noises during my ownership until only last Friday. Luckily was able to bring in the truck on Monday and they quickly pulled the paperwork for the previous repair and according to them they claim the repair in 2021 used old revision parts. Do you think paperwork prints the revision of the parts?

Hope it’s nothing serious since the sound only started last Friday and only on occasion. They said they will go ahead and replace the chain and tensioners as well as part of the repair. When purchasing the truck I did review the full record and both carfax and OASIS report I think (ford service history) showed the oil was replaced every 6-8k ish miles. That was one of the reasons I got the truck. Everything was pointing to good service history along with cam phasers done.

I do have an extended 3 year warranty as well thankfully as part of the purchase.

FordTechOne

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That’s certainly concerning. I’ll ask the dealer for pictures of the part number once they remove it. Hopefully it’s indeed the old rev and not the new rev. The truck never made any noises during my ownership until only last Friday. Luckily was able to bring in the truck on Monday and they quickly pulled the paperwork for the previous repair and according to them they claim the repair in 2021 used old revision parts. Do you think paperwork prints the revision of the parts?

Hope it’s nothing serious since the sound only started last Friday and only on occasion. They said they will go ahead and replace the chain and tensioners as well as part of the repair. When purchasing the truck I did review the full record and both carfax and OASIS report I think (ford service history) showed the oil was replaced every 6-8k ish miles. That was one of the reasons I got the truck. Everything was pointing to good service history along with cam phasers done.

I do have an extended 3 year warranty as well thankfully as part of the purchase.
Yes, the previous RO will show the part numbers that were installed. Not sure how they claim they’re replacing the chains and tensioners, that’s not covered under any Ford Extended Warranty.

FordTechOne

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Slightly off topic and not trying to thread-jack but @FordTechOne did build year 8/19 have the updated cam phaser software/tech?
That built date will have the previous part number, which is generally fine as long as 21B10 was completed at low mileage. The production cutoff for was 11/30/2019; that’s when the current phaser part number and calibration went into production.