Finally picked up my Gen 1 — now the fun starts!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jbfj

Reaction score
After a ~6mo search, I’ve picked up a Gen 1. Thanks to everyone on here who offered advice and answers to my questions while on the hunt.

2014 Roush w/ 100k miles

I’m now thinking about what kind of maintenance steps I want to take. Been combing through some previous threads, and the below is what I have come up with. Wondering if anyone would add or remove from the below:

1. General maintenance including checking shocks, change all fluids and oil / air filters
2. Fuse 27 relocation
3. Lead frame recall — little nervous about this given the Roush tune. Worth just asking a local dealer what they think?
4. No rust that I can find, and frame is painted, but want to do woolwax on the frame and fluid film on rockers to get ahead of rust.
5. Is it worth trying to relocate the sun roof drain line?
6. Reading that people are disconnecting their sun roof and rear window defroster. Sun roof seems worth doing, what are thoughts on the rear window defrost?
8. Given the truck is supercharged, I was planning on installing an oil separator / catch can, but now reading that they can cause pressure / valve issues (https://autoexpert.com.au/posts/sho...xistent problem of,not be covered by warranty.). Anyone have experience with catch cans on supercharged trucks?
7. I live in the northeast so this truck is going to see salt for the first time this winter. Hoping the wool wax saves the frame. Anyone have thoughts or experience bedlining the whole exterior to prevent body rust?

Thanks again to everyone who has helped out — looking forward to tinkering and learning more about these trucks now that I have my own!IMG_6519.jpeg

rschap1

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Truck looks nice.
Preserving it sounds like a good idea.
Bedliner on the entire outside :(
That is for stuff already rotten and trying to hide holes.
An entire vehicles worth is heavy too.
My solution has been driving cheap "winter beaters" and putting the Raptor away for winter (salt/chloride season).

Pancake1291

Reaction score
Congratulations! I hope to make my first thread after I acquire a raptor hopefully next summer. You're living the dream and life is good.

Jhollowell

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'd definitely do # 1, 2 and 3. As for the sunroof, I've always been curious how people have issues with the drain tubes. I get that they drain into the body panel but i'm confused how they actually accumulate water. When my sunroof is closed, its sealed pretty tight to the roof so I'm not sure how water would get in there anyway. I have a 2011 with 160k and no issues with the sunroof, but again i never open it so maybe that's the reason? As long as you change the fluids and keep up on general maintenance, that truck should last a while. Biggest issues i've had on mine were rear axle seals and torn CV boots, both were easy/cheap fixes. Congrats on joining the gen 1 family.

Ricoman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Congrats...your gonna love it..
To answer your questions..
Yes to fuse 27..easy cheap insurance.
Ive been running a catch can with my Whipple SC for 30k now and have had no problems..check it every 1000-1500 and usually an ounce or 2 of nasty sludge.
At 100k,would figure all the maintance you mention is good idea...and hope you didnt spend all your $ on the truck,cause its gonna set you back $5k+ as a guesstimate...i just bought shocks and thats a $2k bill alone.
And last..lead frame...there is an entire thread on that one...did your truck get a recall notice? Do you have the programmer& tune that came from Roush..? Ford will not touch it without...mine is a Shelby...and doesnt have tuner...Ford told me to just leave alone..or spend $1k to get Whipple tuner...Check out the other thread,more info than i can give.
And last...ive got 78k on mine and never a Sunroof problem..some do,some dont..so cant really say...

Last edited:
OP
OP
J

jbfj

Reaction score
Congrats...your gonna love it..
To answer your questions..
Yes to fuse 27..easy cheap insurance.
Ive been running a catch can with my Whipple SC for 30k now and have had no problems..check it every 1000-1500 and usually an ounce or 2 of nasty sludge.
At 100k,would figure all the maintance you mention is good idea...and hope you didnt spend all your $ on the truck,cause its gonna set you back $5k+ as a guesstimate...i just bought shocks and thats a $2k bill alone.
And last..lead frame...there is an entire thread on that one...did your truck get a recall notice? Do you have the programmer& tune that came from Roush..? Ford will not touch it without...mine is a Shelby...and doesnt have tuner...Ford told me to just leave alone..or spend $1k to get Whipple tuner...Check out the other thread,more info than i can give.
And last...ive got 78k on mine and never a Sunroof problem..some do,some dont..so cant really say...
Appreciate the insight! I did bake the maintenance into purchase price so no worries there!

Unfortunately don’t have the programmer from Roush

OP
OP
J

jbfj

Reaction score
I'd definitely do # 1, 2 and 3. As for the sunroof, I've always been curious how people have issues with the drain tubes. I get that they drain into the body panel but i'm confused how they actually accumulate water. When my sunroof is closed, it’s sealed pretty tight to the roof so I'm not sure how water would get in there anyway. I have a 2011 with 160k and no issues with the sunroof, but again i never open it so maybe that's the reason? As long as you change the fluids and keep up on general maintenance, that truck should last a while. Biggest issues i've had on mine were rear axle seals and torn CV boots, both were easy/cheap fixes. Congrats on joining the gen 1 family.
Great to hear. Planning on keeping it closed, just want to make sure others do the same if / when they drive it. Hoping it’s as easy as just pulling a sunroof-specific fuse