Gen 1 as the daily?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

stevelp99

Reaction score
I daily my 14' with 152,000 miles on it. Just finished a 3000 mile round trip from Houston to Virginia Beach. Pulled an all nighter the way there. Got like 16mpg hwy. In town maybe 12-14 mpg. Runs like a champ. I'm running on Fox 3.0s, method wheels, ko2. Runs real smooth. Recently did all the spark plugs, coil packs, and wires. I would say make sure you have the fuse 27 relocated as a precaution. Make sure IWEs are functioning. I found one of mine not working and didn't realize it until I noticed a bit of alignment issues. So I put in new hubs, iwe, vacuum lines and all the check valves, and solenoid as a some preventative maintenance. Usual stuff, check for leaking shocks, boots and seals around the suspension and such. also check for bed strikes. Keep up with oil changes and it should do just fine. Aside from that have fun in a gen 1.

badm0t0rfinger

Rocket Man
Supporting Member
Reaction score
New will always be better than old just based on wear and tear, but GEN1s stack up pretty solidly against the current GEN3s outside of the Raptor R and definitely better than then early GEN2s.

I daily my truck and have for just shy of 10 years. It tows, it hauls, its comfy, it really does everything and does it not just good but great. While under warranty the transfer case was replaced, after the warranty expire I had the A/C go out and about 6 months later the pinion bearing failed. The A/C wasn't a show stopper but it made things uncomfortable for about 2 weeks in the peak of summer last year. The pinion bearing failed after towing literally cross country and [improperly] installed icon leafs; I think if it wasn't for those two causal factors that would have never happened. It ended up making noise again a few months after than and everything in the rear housing (except for axle shafts) was replaced under warranty. Essentially got about 6k worth of parts and labor for 2k.

I have a bunch of added ******** and I still get 12.5 MPG; the entertainment system is getting a bit old in the tooth however you can replace it with a sync 3 real easily.

Ruger

FRF Addict
Reaction score
My 2011 has 105K on it. It is my only vehicle with four wheels and has been so since I ordered it from the Dearborn factory. Stone reliable. Aside from maintenance (from routine tire rotations and oil changes to transmission services and a spark plug change - all of which I have done myself), this is the highest quality vehicle I have ever owned. I have done some modifications that I wanted to do but were not actually necessary (what Raptor owner doesn't), but no tinkering has been necessary in order to keep it reliable. It IS reliable - that's its nature. I would not trade my Raptor for three other vehicles no matter what they were or what they might be worth. Not kidding.

johnd1027

Reaction score
I have a 2013 with 180K. Best riding vehicle I have ever had. Can't beat the comfort. I average around 12.6 mpg City/Highway. I also have a 2023 Sierra AT4 that gets arount 17 City Hiway. I'll take the Raptor all day long over the AT4. I love the new technology with the quiet and smother ride of the AT4 but nothing beats being able to boil tires in 1st, 2nd and a hard chirp in 3rd. The raptor with proper maintenance is a 300K mile ride easy. Anythibng that is turbocharged will be hard pressed to last as long. Drive it!

OP
OP
F

F1502raptor

Reaction score
I have a 2013 with 180K. Best riding vehicle I have ever had. Can't beat the comfort. I average around 12.6 mpg City/Highway. I also have a 2023 Sierra AT4 that gets arount 17 City Hiway. I'll take the Raptor all day long over the AT4. I love the new technology with the quiet and smother ride of the AT4 but nothing beats being able to boil tires in 1st, 2nd and a hard chirp in 3rd. The raptor with proper maintenance is a 300K mile ride easy. Anythibng that is turbocharged will be hard pressed to last as long. Drive it!

I had an AT4 with the 6.2 and 10 speed transmission as well. Boy that combo was fun lol but the interior shinny little knobs were so fugly to me

GCATX

King Dingaling
Reaction score
New will always be better than old just based on wear and tear, but GEN1s stack up pretty solidly against the current GEN3s outside of the Raptor R and definitely better than then early GEN2s.

Come'on, Gen 2 is a rocket compared to Gen 1. :favorites13:

OP, if the diff is leaking at the pinion area, I would have it checked out.

OP
OP
F

F1502raptor

Reaction score
Ended up going with it, got them to come down a few thousand and gave me $1500 over what my trade in was worth to other dealers. After far too long of looking, I finally pulled the trigger!

The ford dealer that did the warranty inspection (also bought the warranty through them) said it was a stupid clean solid truck so it gave me confidence along with what all you guys have said.

Has the Rousch exhaust so it’s plenty loud lol

Attachments

• IMG_5755.jpeg
    IMG_5755.jpeg
    246.5 KB · Views: 40

badm0t0rfinger

Rocket Man
Supporting Member
Reaction score