Extended Warranty - Yes or No??

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

6gun

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well you don't stop there. Keep that automated savings going and you'll always have a fund for things that come up. Not just for your rig. Appliances going out or whatever. Also, if you can wrench you're just buying parts. Labor is free. If you can't find a good independent mechanic, exhaust shop, 4x4 shop, etc. Much cheaper than Ford's labor and likely more qualified.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

This is really a good move. We do it for our old, but well loved BMW 7. It usually eats up about $1000/yr in upkeep....but its such a nice car we can't part with it and I don't really like the looks of the new 7's. When/If we ever replace it, contemplating a white SHO. Will take the "snoball" savings approach with it.

captainphx

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ford ESP

I have read many complaints about Ford's ESP on the internet. Most say don't buy it. But usually the only people that make comments are the ones that have a bad experience. People that have good experiences don't post much. Anyone have any good examples of how well the ESP works?

dillonboyd

Reaction score
I have it. And just used it for the first time since I bought my truck two months ago. I bought my truck with the red stripe peeling on my steering wheel. Walked in, told them about it. Dealer ordered steering wheel without looking at it, had it a week later, dropped it off, they put it on, paid the $100 deductible, and now have a brand new steering wheel. This is at a different dealer than where I bought the truck from as well. I'd say it will be dependent on your dealer. My trucks covered from bumper to bumper basically under mine. Cost about $3000.

Jordan@Apollo-Optics

aka <b><font color='darkorange'>LSUstang05</font><
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
I know two people who have had engines replaced under the extended warranty. You can get the Premium Care for less than $2000 for 100K/6year coverage if you shop.

J DAMAGE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have it. And just used it for the first time since I bought my truck two months ago. I bought my truck with the red stripe peeling on my steering wheel. Walked in, told them about it. Dealer ordered steering wheel without looking at it, had it a week later, dropped it off, they put it on, paid the $100 deductible, and now have a brand new steering wheel. This is at a different dealer than where I bought the truck from as well. I'd say it will be dependent on your dealer. My trucks covered from bumper to bumper basically under mine. Cost about $3000.

What year is your truck?, if it's a 14, I would think it should of been covered not costing you a dime.

Squid 3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Had a heat relay in the dash go.
Dealer had to pull the entire interior to get at the part. 4 days and they gave me a car. $50

Worth every penny

TheJoker

FRF Addict
Reaction score

I have a 2011 as well, I hate to tell you this, but you got screwed. I paid $1500 for the same coverage. I know the price goes up once the original warranty has expired but $3k is just silly. You would be better off putting that money in a savings account and using that for repairs.

So you now have a $3100 steering wheel.:crazy:

Btw, I've used mine twice (rear window / tie rods). It was well worth the money.

Just so you know I'm not full of shit...

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    123.3 KB · Views: 59

Kenneth

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Worth every penny.

Had a sunroof failure, a couple of blend door failures and a leaky third brake light within my first year of ownership. Sunroof alone would've cost 2500 to fix, according to the dealer.

t_j

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Worth it. So far I have had steering wheel (red worn-out), sun roof, up fitter switches (detent broke on 1), drivers door switches (window lockout switch broke). Which has exceeded the cost of the warranty, now if I can only convince them the front drivers side shock is bust I will be happy.

Reptar

FRF Addict
Reaction score
if you guys had those failures in the first year, or even first three years, it's not the extended warranty that's covering you, that's just the included warranty. You don't have to pay anything for the basic 3 year 36k bumper to bumper, or I belive it's 5 yr 60k powertrain. THe extended warranty you're paying for is beyon that. So if you're paying $1-3k for an extended warranty and getting repairs in the first 3 years, you still haven't used your extended warranty at all yet.

I'm on the fence about it. I'm at 2-1/2 years and 30k miles. You can add an extended warranty before 3/36k with barely a difference in price compared to buying it on day 1 when you sign the papers. Knock on wood I haven't had to use the factory warranty at all yet. Of course my luck at 37 months and 36,001 miles I'll pry have an issue LOL. But the advantage to waiting is you have a good idea of mileage because you can get all sorts of combos. No point to pay for a 7 year 100k warranty if you're 3 years in and only have 30k miles, odds are by 7 years you'll only be at 70k miles, so you could have saved by buying a 7 year 75k mile warranty instead.

I'll probably wait till January and decide...I'll be at 35 months and probably 33k miles.