EcoBoost Raptor coming in 2013?? Take a look...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

MikeD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'll be pissed if they put HID's in the '13. Also I thought there was a certain height requirement for HID's, I know Toyota doesn't put them in the Land Cruiser due to it being higher than their other SUV's.

Reptar

FRF Addict
Reaction score
So, based on the F-150 "spy pics" and the Raptor pics, it looks to me like Ford could be standardizing (i.e. saving money) the hoods of the trucks.

The Raptor hood still has vents in the top, so it's not standardized. I'd say they moreso standardized the grille/headlight covers and just slapped them on all the 2013 mules lol. There may be a small tweak at the top that's not showing, or there may be a gap if they only redesigned teh hood a bit but didn't finalize the raptor grille. Or there may be an EB heat exchanger behind there they want to hide. Either way it's doing what ford wanted and keeping us guessing lol.

pirate air

will plunder your booty
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Like others have said, hood and grill looks the same. I don't see the "standardizing" Dan brought up, no more "standardized" between the two in the past. HID's is a good possibility, and maybe that's all there is to this mule.

If it is a powertrain mule, its either ecoboost or evolved 6.2. I don't see the reasoning for shelving the 6.2 or introducing a N/A 5.8 truck engine. Why shelve the 6.2? At this point its doing a pretty good job. A N/A 5.8 would almost be a whole new engine when it comes to RnD/testing. Hardly anything would cross over from the GT500 5.8. New internals, new cams, different heads, different valvetrain, new intake, new exhaust manifolds, new calibration, all for what? Where would the 5.8 fit into the current line up? Between the 5.0 and ecoboost? Makes no sense what-so-ever. The F-150 doesn't need a 4th 300-400 hp engine (3.7 v6 302hp, 5.0 v8 360 hp, 3.5 eco 365 hp, 5.8 hp????). IF we see a N/A 5.8 it'll be in a special addition stang, Mach 1, Bullitt, later model Boss.

Nick@Apollo-Optics

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Like others have said, hood and grill looks the same. I don't see the "standardizing" Dan brought up, no more "standardized" between the two in the past. HID's is a good possibility, and maybe that's all there is to this mule.

If it is a powertrain mule, its either ecoboost or evolved 6.2. I don't see the reasoning for shelving the 6.2 or introducing a N/A 5.8 truck engine. Why shelve the 6.2? At this point its doing a pretty good job. A N/A 5.8 would almost be a whole new engine when it comes to RnD/testing. Hardly anything would cross over from the GT500 5.8. New internals, new cams, different heads, different valvetrain, new intake, new exhaust manifolds, new calibration, all for what? Where would the 5.8 fit into the current line up? Between the 5.0 and ecoboost? Makes no sense what-so-ever. The F-150 doesn't need a 4th 300-400 hp engine (3.7 v6 302hp, 5.0 v8 360 hp, 3.5 eco 365 hp, 5.8 hp????). IF we see a N/A 5.8 it'll be in a special addition stang, Mach 1, Bullitt, later model Boss.

^^ This.

MiloX

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hope they're plug and play!

Exactly. I won't be pissed unless the housing has changed such that they are not backwards compatible.

I'd rather pay (a bit) more for OEM HIDs than going the retrofit route.

Reptar

FRF Addict
Reaction score

Why develop the 5.8 to only use it in the Shelby? That engine is going to see use in other platforms, I'll defintiely bet on that one! And if they carry it into the trucks as a "detuned" s/c version (like they "detuned" the Lightning 5.4 for the harley trucks, 2 lbs less boost and a milder tune) most of the stuff would still carry right over. Yes it would require some other updates to fit the truck like exhaust, intake, cam profiles, etc. but that is a small part of it. Also it'll fit right in, as the 5.8 is replacing the 5.4 in the Shelbys, which the 6.2 replaced in the Raptors, so motor mounts, trans, etc. is all a direct swapover. And The 5.8 would fit into the current lineup right where the 6.2 does, yet fit the "family" of engines a bit more with aluminum blocks, 4v heads, etc. The 6.2 is the odd duck out being SOHC. If the S/C 5.8 is pushing 650 hp, a N/A version should easily be able to push 450 hp, and take the place of the 6.2 with less weight, and a shared platform.

I would be so angry if they put HID's in the 2013...

I wouldn't if they're plug and play swappable for our trucks!

swoop1156

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Then why develop the 6.2 in the first place when they've been discussing the 5.8 Coyote for years now?

pirate air

will plunder your booty
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Why develop the 5.8 to only use it in the Shelby? That engine is going to see use in other platforms, I'll defintiely bet on that one! And if they carry it into the trucks as a "detuned" s/c version (like they "detuned" the Lightning 5.4 for the harley trucks, 2 lbs less boost and a milder tune) most of the stuff would still carry right over. Yes it would require some other updates to fit the truck like exhaust, intake, cam profiles, etc. but that is a small part of it. Also it'll fit right in, as the 5.8 is replacing the 5.4 in the Shelbys, which the 6.2 replaced in the Raptors, so motor mounts, trans, etc. is all a direct swapover. And The 5.8 would fit into the current lineup right where the 6.2 does, yet fit the "family" of engines a bit more with aluminum blocks, 4v heads, etc. The 6.2 is the odd duck out being SOHC. If the S/C 5.8 is pushing 650 hp, a N/A version should easily be able to push 450 hp, and take the place of the 6.2 with less weight, and a shared platform.

Oh boy...

Ford developed the 5.8 to; A, tackle the ZL1 powertrain, and B evolve the current 5.4 GT500 platform. With your logic why build the road runner just to use it in the Boss? Why build the 00 Cobra R engine never to use it again? Why build the 03-04 Terminator engine never to use it again? Why build the 95 Cobra R engine never to use it again? Why build the 93 Cobra engine never to use it again. Why build the Cobra Jet engine, its never going into mass production?? Why build the FGT engine just for the FGT. Why why why? Because a Niche car comes with a Niche engine. We never saw/see those engines again for a reason.

Ford will never put de-tuned GT500 engine in the Raptor, or any F150 unless its a 3rd gen L. A lot of the Raptors success is its price tag. Its unique, practical enough for most to consider, and AFFORDABLE. The GT500 engine would easily raise the price tag over 60k. If Fords going to do that, invest in the suspension or safety devises. Its a off road truck not a street truck. It doesn't need 600 plus horse power or the problems that come with it.
An GT500 engine F150 also goes the opposite direction Ford is going with the F150s. How does a blown gas guzzling 600 hp engine fit with the ecoboost/economy direction Ford is pushing for?

The 6.2 doesn't fit the family and is odd duck out because its not DOHC? It's a truck motor built to go in trucks. It serves its purpose in SOHC iron form just fine. You know the 6.7 scorpion is an odd duck too, guess its time to shit can that motor. Besides, how do you know Ford doesn't have a DOHC 6.2 in the works? Maybe that's under the mule hood...

Of course Ford could squeeze 400+hp with a N/A 5.8. But at what cost to torque and drive-ability on regular unleaded? This would be going into a truck after all. Overall hp would be sacrificed for torque and cooler combustion temperatures just like the 5.0 and every other motor Ford shared between cars and trucks. Oh, and plasma spray bore cylinder block liners sound like a feasible truck engine recipe.