EcoBoost Raptor coming in 2013?? Take a look...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

MikeD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Maybe it will be a Raptor R or some special edition $$$. I was talking to someone on Insideline and they said they "are in the know" and the F150 will get projector headlights for 2013, so I would think HID's. It wouldn't be an option I would wait for over my '12 on order but would be nice if you could retrofit them.

pirate air

will plunder your booty
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Maybe it will be a Raptor R or some special edition $$$. I was talking to someone on Insideline and they said they "are in the know" and the F150 will get projector headlights for 2013, so I would think HID's. It wouldn't be an option I would wait for over my '12 on order but would be nice if you could retrofit them.

Ford had a Raptor R and it died before production. Doubt Fords going to bring it back.

I think HID is a good bet.

Humvee21

FRF Addict
Reaction score

Not something I'd wait for either but it just doesn't seem reasonable for Ford to delay something as simple as a headlight upgrade 1 more year.

iceman302

Full Throttle OG
Reaction score
Oh boy...

Ford developed the 5.8 to; A, tackle the ZL1 powertrain, and B evolve the current 5.4 GT500 platform. With your logic why build the road runner just to use it in the Boss? Why build the 00 Cobra R engine never to use it again? Why build the 03-04 Terminator engine never to use it again? Why build the 95 Cobra R engine never to use it again? Why build the 93 Cobra engine never to use it again. Why build the Cobra Jet engine, its never going into mass production?? Why build the FGT engine just for the FGT. Why why why? Because a Niche car comes with a Niche engine. We never saw/see those engines again for a reason.

Ford will never put de-tuned GT500 engine in the Raptor, or any F150 unless its a 3rd gen L. A lot of the Raptors success is its price tag. Its unique, pTractical enough for most to consider, and AFFORDABLE. The GT500 engine would easily raise the price tag over 60k. If Fords going to do that, invest in the suspension or safety devises. Its a off road truck not a street truck. It doesn't need 600 plus horse power or the problems that come with it.
An GT500 engine F150 also goes the opposite direction Ford is going with the F150s. How does a blown gas guzzling 600 hp engine fit with the ecoboost/economy direction Ford is pushing for?

The 6.2 doesn't fit the family and is odd duck out because its not DOHC? It's a truck motor built to go in trucks. It serves its purpose in SOHC iron form just fine. You know the 6.7 scorpion is an odd duck too, guess its time to shit can that motor. Besides, how do you know Ford doesn't have a DOHC 6.2 in the works? Maybe that's under the mule hood...

Of course Ford could squeeze 400+hp with a N/A 5.8. But at what cost to torque and drive-ability on regular unleaded? This would be going into a truck after all. Overall hp would be sacrificed for torque and cooler combustion temperatures just like the 5.0 and every other motor Ford shared between cars and trucks. Oh, and plasma spray bore cylinder block liners sound like a feasible truck engine recipe.

Thank you!

All of this conjecture over EB this and 5.8 that is B.S. It ain't gonna happen. The answer here is simple. The '13 Raptor will wear the same (ugly) facelift as the rest of the F-150 line up... probably with HID's. Nothing more. Mark my words.

NY SCREW

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Thank you!

All of this conjecture over EB this and 5.8 that is B.S. It ain't gonna happen. The answer here is simple. The '13 Raptor will wear the same (ugly) facelift as the rest of the F-150 line up... probably with HID's. Nothing more. Mark my words.

it sure dosnt look like they changed the front end..... i dont see ford getting rid of the front grill but you never know

Raptor108

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Seems everyone buying a 2012 will now lose sleep worrying that the 2013 will be improved. This chase is like trying to keep up with the latest smartphone--only a lot more expensive. Time to start a speculative 2013 thread.

Metallic purple paint is likely. A factory turbo 6.2 for sure.

Reptar

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Then why develop the 6.2 in the first place when they've been discussing the 5.8 Coyote for years now?

They've been discussing the Coyote engine for years, and it's out, it's the 5.0. Any talk about the "Coyote" name and a 5.8 was rumor mill generated.

They were also talking about the Hurricane engine for years, as either a model above the 5.4 or a 5.4 replacement, and that's out, the 6.2. And looking at the lineups, the 4.6 V8, 5.4 V8, and 6.2V8 are very very similar engines. The fact that the 4.6 and 5.4 went to the glue factory and the 6.2 is out now was timing. I remember reading about the 6.2 hurricane engine development YEARS ago. It was in the works well before the 3.7 V6, 3.5 EB V6, and 5.0 V8 truck engines, so it wouldn't be any surprise at all to me to see the 6.2 get a replacement that is aluminum block and 4V heads and fitting in with the new engine lineup.

Oh boy...

Ford developed the 5.8 to; A, tackle the ZL1 powertrain, and B evolve the current 5.4 GT500 platform. With your logic why build the road runner just to use it in the Boss? Why build the 00 Cobra R engine never to use it again? Why build the 03-04 Terminator engine never to use it again? Why build the 95 Cobra R engine never to use it again? Why build the 93 Cobra engine never to use it again. Why build the Cobra Jet engine, its never going into mass production?? Why build the FGT engine just for the FGT. Why why why? Because a Niche car comes with a Niche engine. We never saw/see those engines again for a reason.

You're missing my logic there on every single one of your examples.

Why build the road runner just to use it in the boss? The road runner 5.0 is a tweaked coyote 5.0 with different internals and different intake manifold etc, Ford didn't design an entire new engine block and entire new heads, etc. They took the existing coyote 5.0 upgraded parts, tweaked parts, and created the road runner 5.0. The 5.0 platform is shared in the coyote 5.0's, the roadrunner/boss 5.0's, and the pickup trucks.

The 00 Cobra R once again was a worked 5.4. Different internals, tweaked parts, upgraded parts, different intake, different exhaust, and bam they have a high performance version of an existing 5.4 that was already used in f150's, expeditions, econolines, superduties, and even already in the 4v varient in navigators, etc. The 5.4 platform was shared between many many vehicles.

The 03/04 Terminator engine was a worked 4.6. Upgraded internals, I don't believe any thing was different on the heads, different intake manifold and exhaust, and bam, high performance version of the existing 4.6 that was already used in mustangs, f150's, expeditions, crown vics, etc. The 4.6 platform was shared between many many vehicles.

95/93 Cobra engines, now you're before mod-motor time, and I'm not too familiar with those engines, but let me guess, they were a worked pushrod 5.0 right? Yeah the pushrod 302's and 351's weren't used in nearly every vehicle Ford sold at that time LOL

Cobra Jet engines, once again, a 5.4 engine that is upgraded/tweaked, but truth behold, it's still a 5.4 block and heads, with upgraded parts, and the base platform is shared between many many vehicles. (even the new Cobra Jet that offers the 5.0 is once again, still off the 5.0 platform, just another branch to the coyote and hurricane variants)

Ford GT engine, once again, a 5.4 engine that was upgraded/tweaked, and was the 1st aluminum block 5.4. And what do you know, Ford didn't waste that aluminum block 5.4 work, they made another varient of it in the 2011+ Shelby GT500's. Which btw the 07-10 GT500's were all iron block 5.4's, man that 5.4 was a ****** out platform wasn't it? lol

I'll even add one you forgot, the Ford Lightning Engine. The Gen 1 Lightnings was a hopped up 351. The Gen 2 Lightnings was a supercharged 5.4. They even wanted to get such mileage out of that supercharged 5.4 they also stuck it in the Harley Trucks after a couple years, then the GT500 with 4v heads on it

Now whats the common theme here that I was trying to make as my point? While every single one of those engines was a unique engine that we didn't see the exact version of again in other vehicles, EVERY SINGLE ONE of those engines was a shared platform of the base itself. So again I repeat my question, do you really think Ford is only going to use the 5.8L block on JUST the Shelby GT500 and not anything else? It doesn't make any business sense to do so. We certainly won't see the exact 650 hp Shelby GT500 5.8 motor in anything else, but I'd bet anything we're damn sure to see a varient of the 5.8 motor in something else, whether it's a 400+ hp N/A version, or a "detuned" 500+ hp S/C version. The unique part on this one is Ford is releasing this block as the top dog king of the castle type setup, where all those other engines were existing ones they built up upon, but I think you're a fool to believe they won't capitalize on their investment to develop the base 5.8 platform itself and utilize it in other vehicles in other versions of a 5.8.

Ford will never put de-tuned GT500 engine in the Raptor, or any F150 unless its a 3rd gen L.

And why not? People thought Ford was stupid for putting a detuned Lightning engine in the supercrew Harley trucks back in 2002 because who would want a big *** heavy supercrew with a detuned L engine? If you want a L engine just get a L right? Wrong, the market exploded for the s/c HD trucks and sales DOUBLED from 2001 N/A HD's to 2002 S/C HD's and the 2002 HD sales were nearly triple what the 2002 Lightning sales were. Just like who would want to take the 2010 extended cab raptor and make it even bigger into a supercrew? If you want an offroad truck you want short and compact, well funny how that works because isn't it something like 80% of the 2011 Raptors were supercrew orders? Ford knows how to read the market and make the right moves. Just because it may not make the most sense, doesn't mean it wouldn't be a huge hit.

A lot of the Raptors success is its price tag. Its unique, practical enough for most to consider, and AFFORDABLE.
I beg to differ, a $50k truck doesn't have a price tag under one of it's advantages list. I'm certainly not saying it's not a deal for the truck you're getting, you'd have a hard time making an equally capable truck for that cost, but if Ford's big point for this truck was the cheapest offroad truck you can buy, they'd offer it in XL trim with cloth seats, no frills. Instead it's a top model package, even without adding lux package, etc. I'm sure they could still offer a N/A version for a cheaper crowd, but again if that was the case, why wouldn't they offer a 5.0 in it for those trying to save a buck and not get the ballsy engine? The 6.2 is already the highest priced truck engine, a s/c'ed 5.8 varient wouldn't be talking much more of a premium. I'd GLADLY pay $2k more for an option to have a blower.

The GT500 engine would easily raise the price tag over 60k. If Fords going to do that, invest in the suspension or safety devises. Its a off road truck not a street truck. It doesn't need 600 plus horse power or the problems that come with it.Raptors are $45-50k now on average, a blower isn't going to add 10-15k. An aftermarket kit may cost you that much, but OEM installed it certainly will not. When they added the s/c to the HD trucks it only raised the cost $2k and it came with a slew of other changes as well, and for a new model year that always increases anyway, it really didn't add that much when it's from the factory.
An GT500 engine F150 also goes the opposite direction Ford is going with the F150s. How does a blown gas guzzling 600 hp engine fit with the ecoboost/economy direction Ford is pushing for?
How the heck does the 6.2 fit in there then? A blown 5.8 wouldn't suck down any more gas than a thirsty N/A 6.2. I've had many supercharged 5.4 trucks and mileage on those was nearly identical to my several N/A 5.4 trucks. A smaller 5.8 with a blower and 4v heads could easily get the same mileage as a n/a 6.2. And for the fuel economy push from Ford, that is why they offer a 3.7 V6, a 3.5 EB V6, and a 5.0 engine for that very exact reason. Giving their buyers what they want ALL around, not forcing everyone to only get gas guzzling performance machines, but not forcing them to get gas sipping turds, but anything from one end of the spectrum to the other

The 6.2 doesn't fit the family and is odd duck out because its not DOHC? It's a truck motor built to go in trucks. It serves its purpose in SOHC iron form just fine. You know the 6.7 scorpion is an odd duck too, guess its time to shit can that motor. Besides, how do you know Ford doesn't have a DOHC 6.2 in the works? Maybe that's under the mule hood...
Ford doesn't have 4 other diesel engine options. THe 6.7 scorpion is an odd duck with the flipped air flow path on the heads, but it was an all new developed powertrain, and the only offered one. If Ford had 3 sized diesels offered in the scorpion configuration, and one of the old traditional head configuration, that traditional old head configuration would be the odd duck out. As for a DOHC 6.2, who knows they could, but I don't see them putting any other R&D into the 6.2 with the 5.8 in the works.

Of course Ford could squeeze 400+hp with a N/A 5.8. But at what cost to torque and drive-ability on regular unleaded? I'd say ZERO cost, since they've proven that they could accomplish gains in performance all around with a 5.0 over the 5.4 This would be going into a truck after all. Overall hp would be sacrificed for torque and cooler combustion temperatures just like the 5.0 and every other motor Ford shared between cars and trucks. Oh, and plasma spray bore cylinder block liners sound like a feasible truck engine recipe.

See responses in blue. Especially the 1st part. Your arguement against me only further supported mine further lol.

Wasn't the Raptor-R just a 6.2 with different cams and internals?

Not something I'd wait for either but it just doesn't seem reasonable for Ford to delay something as simple as a headlight upgrade 1 more year.

They need to keep a significant batch of updates so the truck gets a minor refresh between full redesigns. Otherwise things go stale. Similar to after 97-98 the 99+ F150's got a facelift with a different grille and bumpers, and the trucks weren't redesigned till 2004. Then in 2009 the f150's got another minor facelift with slightly different heads/grille. Well before the look gets stale again, seems ford has another minor update to the grilles/headlights for 2013 to get a few more years before another major update. If they didn't group a set of upgrades together and just offered 1 thing 1 year and another the next, they couldn't get the buzz of having an "updated" or "refreshed" model between full redesigns. Heck it would eliminate them from many award opportunities too because a lot of times they only evaluate significantly improved or updated models, and not year to year carry overs.

Last edited:

Rat

Reaction score
Take a look at the grill cover with "graffiti paint" - there's an extra section above the grill that if it is covering the grill it means the hood is notched. Maybe that strip of material is how they attached it to the hood. Or maybe not (maybe it's a redesign of the grill and hood).
QUOTE]

I bet that grille/headlight cover is a universal cover to fit regular f-150 That's why it's higher up. Why make a new cover, use what is laying around !
If you look you can see the 3 little lights, and what looks to be the Raptor hood. Just sayin

I also think some of yall are missing the point that the Raptor was designed for S.C.O.R.E. and Best in the Desert racing rules in mind. NO TURBOS in stock classes Would have to be trophy class and we know how that went.

Last edited: