GEN 2 eBay - Mishimoto Intercooler Knock Off

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Diverdown3

Reaction score
Yes, I bought a cheap-ass Intercooler off eBay. If you come this thread to bash me for it, lay off. I'm writing this up for the benefit of others. I've seen the write-ups of others who've done the same and they experienced success, at this point, I have not enjoyed the same experience. I'll describe the current situation and share updates until the process reaches a conclusion.

Again, this is for the benefit of others. Please keep the "I told you so" posts to yourself. Those will help no one.

Other than the fact that I chose black, this is the way the item was represented on eBay. My seller was/is "csk_performance." The listing title was "Performance Intercooler Fits Ford F150 F-150 2.7L/3.5L EcoBoost 2015-2019." I paid roughly $320 w/shipping. It arrived quickly enough.

COmparing the design and specifications, I believed this was a Mishimoto knockoff.

1721008689788.jpeg

1721008715682.jpeg

1721008728118.jpeg

Upon receipt, I found a casting flaw leading to a machined surface flaw. In addition, the blow-off valve connection was very loose. The the exterior mating surface of the connector port was insufficiently deep to allow for a tight seal in addition to the O-ring seal. See the pictures below where I rock the valve towards the camera and away from the camera.

1721009616267.jpeg

1721009630959.jpeg

Continuing in next post....

OP
OP
Diverdown3

Diverdown3

Reaction score
Here is my blow-off valve.

1721010078226.jpeg

1721010089050.jpeg

Here is the casting flaw.
1721010252154.jpeg

1721010267329.jpeg

I was going to pressure test it, but after calculating the cost of buying a tub large enough for the job along with devising a way to seal all ports and add a Shrader valve and pressure gauge, a lot of time and effort was required. I decided to install and just validate with the turbo pressure gauge and comparing AF ratios before/after, where too rich equals a leak. Once I was unable to achieve a seal at the BOV, I abandoned the install today and replaced the original.

At this point I've started a return. The seller has accepted. Knowing that others have succeeded eBay knockoffs, I will try another before I abandon this effort and go with a branded retail intercooler.

BTW, this one started life as an actual Mishimoto IC. My guess is it did not pass inspection due to the casting and machined surface flaw.

1721010764204.jpeg

Last edited:
OP
OP
Diverdown3

Diverdown3

Reaction score
Let's see how this one works out. eBay. $320. Dimensions seem to match Mishimoto, so no relocation of anything, just trim the shutter box.

1721613761761.png

1721613809160.png

1721613853382.png

Last edited:
OP
OP
Diverdown3

Diverdown3

Reaction score
Well, Intercooler number 2, pictured above, turned out flawed as well in addition to coming with no hardware. 2 flaws.

The first was the condensation port on the bottom. I was able to identify the threads as 12mm x 1.75. Even with that, I had to add more teflon tape than normally required and it was still a loose fit until the last few threads before the bolt head met the exterior surface.

Intercooler 2-condensation port 1-2.jpg

Intercooler 2-condensation port 3-2.jpg

The second flaw was again on the blow off valve port, just like intercooler #1. In this case the notches in the valve could not reach the engagement points in the intercooler port. This was due to the inside diameter of the port being too small at the top to allow the blow off valve to drop in sufficiently to engage.

Intercooler 2-Blowoff port 3-2.jpg

Intercooler 2-Blowoff port 4-2.jpg

Conclusion: I'm done with knock-off intercoolers.

Last edited:

Booth9999

Professional basket weaver level 7
Reaction score
Honestly about what I would expect. Nice to see you be the guinea pig on this, interested to see the results

HighwaySentinel

︻デ┳═ー - - - - - - -
Reaction score
A lot of people across many platforms have had success with going this route. Hopefully the next one works for you. If not, it's nice to see they are taking returns.

OP
OP
Diverdown3

Diverdown3

Reaction score
What’s interesting is they’re likely selling the rejects from mishimoto, but do not disclose the overt flaws and failure points.
Agreed, because mine had two flaws. The first was the condensation drain port on the bottom. The threads were somewhat present, but unfinished. I addressed this easily enough with a 12mm x 1.25 tap (IIRC). The second was the inability to seal at the blowoff valve port. That I could not overcome without significant effort. The good part of this story is I lost $0 dollars. The seller communicated well and gave me a full refund moments ago. I shipped it back to them at their cost two days ago. That was fast.

Now to try another, probably from another supplier.

Last edited: