Dyno tune for supercharged Raptor in Las Vegas?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

letsgetthisdone

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think you are not getting what I'm saying, I understand that when the fuel is lower in octane it will pull timing and adjust AFR.
I am saying that the 10% ethanol is robbing you of power because it has to pull timing and adjust AFR.
We're on the same page here!
Maybe I'm not explaining myself to you in a way you can understand what I'm saying, I don't know.

We're not on the same page. The 10% ethanol content does not create a need to pull timing and does not hurt power. Here in Vegas the fuel is 91 octane. If they're adding ethanol to fuel that's already 91 octane, that fuel is now actually >91 octane. If they offset that by using less of other additives, the fuel is still 91 octane. No difference in timing is needed. If you're comparing pump E10 gasoline to something like an ethanol free race fuel that is 93-96 octane and saying it hurts power, this is not a good comparison as something like VP UTV is a bit higher octane and has a better additive package for making horsepower than pump fuel. It's not apples to apples.

It does hurt fuel mileage a small amount, but thats it. I'm really not trying to be a ****, but you genuinely don't understand how ethanol effects engine performance.

MTF

FRF Addict
Reaction score
We're not on the same page. The 10% ethanol content does not create a need to pull timing and does not hurt power. Here in Vegas the fuel is 91 octane. If they're adding ethanol to fuel that's already 91 octane, that fuel is now actually >91 octane. If they offset that by using less of other additives, the fuel is still 91 octane. No difference in timing is needed. If you're comparing pump E10 gasoline to something like an ethanol free race fuel that is 93-96 octane and saying it hurts power, this is not a good comparison as something like VP UTV is a bit higher octane and has a better additive package for making horsepower than pump fuel. It's not apples to apples.

It does hurt fuel mileage a small amount, but thats it. I'm really not trying to be a ****, but you genuinely don't understand how ethanol effects engine performance.
That's the comparison I'm making, I don't know, I here it a different way from Tuners that I've meet with.
And I really don't want to argue over this.

OP
OP
vegascarnut

vegascarnut

Full Access Member
Reaction score
One thing is for sure, I'll be carrying a can of Torco Octane Booster in the truck at all times from now on—just in case!

sixshooter_45

2019 Ruby Red Metallic SC, 3.5 L Twin Turbos.
Reaction score
Should Techron® fuel additives be used or need to be used on our engines?

I just remember reading about folks using it here somewhere on this forum.

B E N

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Plenty of misinformation going on in this thread, from people who may not have any actual tuning experience, or even engine control logic experience. @letsgetthisdone is giving a bunch of sound advice.

The tuner should have already built your tune around e10, they change the stoich number in the PCM from 14.7 to 14.1 that is all it takes. E10 does not hurt power, and you can make more power from E10 than you can from straight 91, e10 will have an octane of approximately 93.2. In a forced induction application especially: more octane means more timing, means more power and more safety. You will generally experience better mileage with e10 and e20 because you will have more advanced cruise timing. If you are going to argue against this you better bring both barrels loaded up with some facts; not regurgitated internet dribble, engage the problem and understand it for yourself.

Startron does little for you if you are consuming your fuel regularly, its great for storage.

A dyno tune does very little for drivability, Dyno's are awesome for initial tuning: You can hold a load and fill out every table in a tune, you can run a car hard without breaking any laws and dial in the peak... but they do not simulate every day driving very well. I think an email tune from someone like JDM is likely to have very good drivability compared to the dyno. They have worked with and logged these trucks enough, in enough conditions to know what is going to work well, experience, specialization and a lexicon of logs in all sorts of conditions is far superior to Joe Blows dyno service. It sounds like the OP is probably outside of the 95% normal threshold, and needs to log and send the info to JDM.

If you want optimum drivability you need to drive, log, make changes and repeat. Either do it remotely or learn to tune yourself, if you have interest in tuning it is a worthwhile skill, and will make you a better driver, mechanic and diagnostician.

letsgetthisdone

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The stoich number is usually already 14.08 (for E10) from Ford because that is what pump fuel is in the US.

I haven't been in the ford ECU for a while, but that point further proves my point of the truck comes tuned for E10, and then the existing tuning is also (very likely) for E10.

OP
OP
vegascarnut

vegascarnut

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Although this thread has gone off on a bit of a tangent, there is good info here and I've met a new Vegas Raptor owner who really seems to know his stuff, so thanks @letsgetthisdone. I did some data logging a couple of months ago, and JDM was fantastic about making the only change I really needed, which was to make a timing/fuel adjustment at part throttle. That itself wasn't entirely necessary, but more of a safety measure. Once I have the water/**** injection connected to help with summer charge temps, I may go back to the original tune. This latest issue just boiled down to some exceptionally bad fuel that I picked up on my trip, coupled with severe paranoia after having to pull over with an overheating transmission on a totally unrelated issue. Now that I have replaced the bad fuel, all is well.

Thanks everyone.