Brake system upgrades?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
C

Cody Templeton

FRF Addict
Reaction score
From what I remember, wilwood was coming out with a matching set of rears “soon” to compliment the ones they made to be used with the oem 17 inch wheels in the front. Perhaps this year at SEMA?

I figured they probably would as it only makes sense to. I understand the front does the majority of the braking, but why have some massive brake upgrade on the front and the stock brakes on the rear?

JDEVEROUX

Reaction score
Hey guys! Currently have the Powerstop Z36 heavy duty truck front and rear brake kit as well as the Powerstop red powercoated calipers, Crown Performance 6-piece stainless brake kit with red sheathing in a 3" lift length, and the system was flushed and refilled with full synthetic DOT 4 fluid. Have you guys found that the stock brakes with good parts are more than capable?

EDIT: Looks like the only big brake kit that fits under a 17" wheel is the Alcon kit, but requires tie rod adapters. The Wilwood and Baer kits require a 20" wheel. I can't imagine the Alcon kit adds much braking performance over stock, especially for the 3500+ dollar price tag after you buy the tie rod end adapters. Also, there is no matching rear kit for the Alcons either. I definitely don't want to run a 20" wheel either.
I have had the R1 Kit on my 2014 and it worked great. From what I was told they were the second inline to make a kit fit a 17" wheel and my kit worked flawlessly. It stopped way better than stock and getting parts and pads was easy. I had an 6 Piston Front, 4 Piston Rear, Slotted Rotors, and Floating Hats. It saved me a few times on the trails.