Brake system upgrades?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
C

Cody Templeton

FRF Addict
Reaction score
It says not road legal so…

That's also why they are 1/3rd of the price of other options too, even though they are made the same way, or better. I wouldn't run their super light race brakes on something I pull trailers with, but I wouldn't have any issue running those 6 piston setups.

OP
OP
C

Cody Templeton

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Longer term review on the Alcons - had to make some adjustments on a couple things to prevent some small noises.

On the rear the inside lip of the rotor where the parking brake shoes are would rub the dust shield where it stuck out. I'm not sure why Alcon doesn't just have you trim the dust shield there, as you have to trim it at the caliper opening anyways for the caliper to fit in the slot all the way. Might as well just do both at the same time while it's apart. It doesn't affect anything at all trimming the lip off.

On the left front I needed to add some washers to space the caliper bracket more inboard to move the mounting hardware away from the rotor, as there were times the setup would flex just enough for the rotor to barely touch the bolt heads. This is something that's mentioned in the kit that you may have to do, so not a surprise there. I've needed to do it on other aftermarket radially mounted caliper setups with other vehicles as well.

Besides those things, it's been an amazing upgrade. The initial bite is much better, the pedal has basically no "squish" at all, and the brakes don't fade at all. With the 37's it's a significantly improved upgrade.

TomDirt

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Kinda makes you wonder why Alcons aren't at least an option on the Raptor R models. Once you break the $100,000 ceiling, what's another $5K for the best brakes available? Porsche models have performance brake options, FoMoCo should too.

OP
OP
C

Cody Templeton

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Kinda makes you wonder why Alcons aren't at least an option on the Raptor R models. Once you break the $100,000 ceiling, what's another $5K for the best brakes available? Porsche models have performance brake options, FoMoCo should too.

Honestly, I feel like the Raptor R SHOULD have them stock, and it should at least be an option for the regular Raptor models. Doesn't make sense having this high performance truck with the same brakes that a base model F-150 has.

EricM

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Ford absolutley dicked the R guys by keeping the stock F150 brake setup.

It should have got a rotor size upgrade and the requsite 18" wheels/tires. Even if Ford re-used the cheap caliper they use now, it'd perform so much better on a bigger rotor.

Might be something in the pipeline though. It's an easy change, and something they can offer as a new feature.