Drove a Gen 2 for the first time - Pros and Cons

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

SenditRaptor

Reaction score
Interesting to hear that with the 2020, the cam phaser issue has been resolved I guess? If looking for a 2020 is the best way to go, maybe going for a 2021 Gen 3 is the better "value"?
I've read two owners with 2020's that had issues with their cam phasers. Supposedly the later 2020 trucks were manufactured using the new cam phasers. As to where to draw that line when Ford started doing that, I'm not sure. I haven't heard of any 3rd gen owners who have experienced issues with their cam phasers so if you were inclined on getting a 3rd gen for the sake of "value" that would be something to consider as well. The 3rd gen also comes with a revamped mid pipe section using the trombone design which seems to be very pleasing for most owners. I'm waiting for my trombone for my 2020 to come in the mail as we speak :pepper:

John813

FRF Addict
Reaction score
If you go offroad, odds are you will get hooked on taking it offroad often. And then you'll start spending thousands on mods.

The Raptor is wider, but it's not that much bigger than a standard F-150. If you can park a F-150, you can park a Raptor.

But if the truck is mainly for pavement driving, just know it has a higher cost of maintenance than a regular F-150. Bigger ticket items being the shocks, and then tires.

Same 10 speed is in all the F-150's, but I've never had that issue on multiple Fords/Chevy that use the same transmission.
From 2017 Raptor, 2018 Expedition to now a 23 Raptor/Expedition over the years.

smurfslayer

Be vewwy, vewwy quiet. We’re hunting sasquatch77
Reaction score
@derklink came here for solid advice on truck choice. Noah / @The Car Stereo Company is always reminding us that FRF was a community where other FRF could come for help when needed, ask questions get good answers. We’ve gotten away from that sometimes.

Let’s do right by the n00b here.

TravisHTX

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had a 2012 platinum f-150, then a 2015 lariat, now my 2019 raptor. As soon as I can find a new one for under invoice, I will likely buy another. After having a Raptor, I can’t imagine not owning one now…

Mine is 95% pavement, but the pot holes of Houston are horrible. So bad that on many streets no one usually drives in the right lane. I call it the Raptor express lane.

Occasionally someone in a peasant car tries to follow me, they quickly get back in the left lane.

I echo the other people here. If you care about being “eco friendly” and MPG, don’t get the Raptor. If you want a low total cost of ownership, don’t get the Raptor.

If you like yellin out a good Yeehaaww every once and a while, ok with entertainment costing a few bucks, and make fun of Priuses, get the Raptor.

shigman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Mine is 95% pavement, but the pot holes of Houston are horrible. So bad that on many streets no one usually drives in the right lane. I call it the Raptor express lane.

Occasionally someone in a peasant car tries to follow me, they quickly get back in the left lane.
I work inside the loop…I know exactly what the raptor express lane is…lol. I like that nomenclature for it…hehe. I too have Audi S4s and endless little sporty cars try to ride my ass through there and quickly realize going 40 will result in 4 bent wheels.

Shane361

FRF Addict
Reaction score
So glad I don't live in Houston anymore. I was born in Stinkadina. Never lived there to drive in it but drove through it countless times. I was station in Corpus and would see it driving home to Florida. Hell with that traffic.

TravisHTX

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So glad I don't live in Houston anymore. I was born in Stinkadina. Never lived there to drive in it but drove through it countless times. I was station in Corpus and would see it driving home to Florida. Hell with that traffic.

Ha! I hear ya. I live in Kemah, pretty much the only time I go into Houston is for work, a couple days a week, and when a vendor wants to buy me a steak dinner.