How Do You Check Gen 3 Transmission Fluid Level?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

dfw62

Reaction score
Can anyone provide the official procedure for checking the transmission fluid level on a Gen 3? I cannot find anything on this topic in the over 740 page owner's manual.

So far this is what I have been able to find in another F150 on-line forum:

"It needs to be between 5-6 at operating temperature which is 206-215 degrees Fahrenheit. Drive it around for a while and make sure you park it on level ground with truck running in park."

Is this correct?

Once I can confirm the procedure I will deal with the added hassle of needing to remove a skid plate to access the little "dipstick plug" located down low on the side of the transmission from under the truck that Ford replaced the simple to use conventional dip stick with. WTF?

castine917

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I can't really help with info on the gen 3 but I believe that I read that some gen 2 owners found a dipstick add on for their transmissions. Maybe you can find something similar and consider doing that too.

letsgetthisdone

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Can anyone provide the official procedure for checking the transmission fluid level on a Gen 3? I cannot find anything on this topic in the over 740 page owner's manual.

So far this is what I have been able to find in another F150 on-line forum:

"It needs to be between 5-6 at operating temperature which is 206-215 degrees Fahrenheit. Drive it around for a while and make sure you park it on level ground with truck running in park."

Is this correct?

Once I can confirm the procedure I will deal with the added hassle of needing to remove a skid plate to access the little "dipstick plug" located down low on the side of the transmission from under the truck that Ford replaced the simple to use conventional dip stick with. WTF?

The average person has no business check transmission fluid. Same reason the coolant temp gauge is a dummy gauge and doesn't show actual temp.

That being said, that procedure is correct. Make sure trans is at 206-215*F, and with the trans in park remove the dipstick plug thinger and check the level on the dipstick. The level on the dipstick should be between 5 and 6. The other numbers are there for other vehicle models, so don't go off of any of the other numbers.