Drove a Gen 2 for the first time - Pros and Cons

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OEMPlus Raptor

OEM preferred....
Reaction score
I would try and get a 20' and above. Mine has been solid. Only warranty claim I've had on it was my horn stopped working. No trans, no camphasers, nothing (knock on wood). Solid truck and I'm a few hundred miles away from hitting 40K. I almost bought a 19' glad I waited and got the 20' since I have the latest camphasers. One of the reasons I haven't pulled the trigger on a newer Raptor is because mine has been good to me. Only headaches I've had (few) where from aftermarket add-ons.

smurfslayer

Be vewwy, vewwy quiet. We’re hunting sasquatch77
Reaction score
Did someone say traffic calming speed bumps?

My use case is definitely not off-road focused but I dare to say I'm probably with the vast majority of Raptor owners on that
Doubly so for the Raptor R.

You’re probably right about the higher percentage of off roaders on FRF than your average Raptor buyer.
That said, the Raptor could be the catalyst to a new off roading enthusiasm... Just sayin’.

CigarPundit

I like wood
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The Raptor looks way cooler, so there's that. Bottom line for me with cars is: if it speaks to you and you can afford it get it. You won't be sorry. I've never made car purchasing decisions based on a clinical analysis.

vk35

Reaction score
I feel like a lot of people complain about transmission these days on raptors. The fact that it was replaced probably means it got the newest basket? Replaced tranny is probably a positive thing for me if paperwork exists. OASIS report is a must when buying a truck. Also, shop around for ESP warranty, don’t buy from the selling dealer unless they beat quotes from other dealers. Sometimes small mom and pop ford dealers have the best ESP prices.

For me, a raptor is a one of a kind truck. Any other truck except for TRX does not come close in my opinion. But I’m also a biased here so, take that with a grain of salt ha.

Reaction score
I'm a sucker for trim levels, bells and whistles, and special editions of many things, especially vehicles. I went from a Civic to a Raptor because we needed a truck of some kind to haul things, and I only really drive during the winter months since I'm on a motorcycle every chance I get. Looked at all kinds of trucks but really wanted a super cab short bed of some kind which are getting harder to find. Stumble on a 17 Raptor SCAB 802A with every option except for moonroof and heated steering with 72k miles for cheap and couldn't say no.

SenditRaptor

Reaction score
Your dilema is like comparing a GT500 to a GT. Sure you're concerned about the quality of the sound system, ventilated seats and exhaust note, but you're paying a premium price for a premium vehicle that's meant to do much more than just that.

If you plan on getting a Raptor, I'd advise on getting a later model (2020+) as they seem to have resolved the cam phaser issue using the new part.

OP
OP
D

derklink

Reaction score
Really good comments here - thank you!

So the 2019 I looked at is not at a Ford dealer and it does not qualify for Ford ESP, which directs me to https://warrantyrev.com. Those warranties are not cheap but they don't date back to the in-service date like the ones from Ford. I told the sales person about that, the cam phasers, shocks etc. and they said they'd price it aggressively if I wanted to buy it. Whatever that means. They've had it for about 2.5 months on the lot now. I could try to get an OASIS report from a Ford dealer but not sure if they do these as random "favors" but wouldn't hurt to ask.

The transmission replacement is a plus IMO. Yes, the first one was probably a bad one but getting an almost new one and covering it under an extended warranty should be fine.

Interesting to hear that with the 2020, the cam phaser issue has been resolved I guess? If looking for a 2020 is the best way to go, maybe going for a 2021 Gen 3 is the better "value"?

The potholes in my area are pretty bad but of course you don't "need" a Raptor to navigate them. The "cool"-factor/looks is definitely something that is swaying me towards a Raptor. I have a Mach 1 manual that I do HPDE events with so I am definitely someone that enjoys exciting/emotional vehicles.

I'll drive a regular F150 at a Ford dealer tomorrow and curious to see how that goes.

vk35

Reaction score
Really good comments here - thank you!

So the 2019 I looked at is not at a Ford dealer and it does not qualify for Ford ESP, which directs me to https://warrantyrev.com. Those warranties are not cheap but they don't date back to the in-service date like the ones from Ford. I told the sales person about that, the cam phasers, shocks etc. and they said they'd price it aggressively if I wanted to buy it. Whatever that means. They've had it for about 2.5 months on the lot now. I could try to get an OASIS report from a Ford dealer but not sure if they do these as random "favors" but wouldn't hurt to ask.

The transmission replacement is a plus IMO. Yes, the first one was probably a bad one but getting an almost new one and covering it under an extended warranty should be fine.

Interesting to hear that with the 2020, the cam phaser issue has been resolved I guess? If looking for a 2020 is the best way to go, maybe going for a 2021 Gen 3 is the better "value"?

The potholes in my area are pretty bad but of course you don't "need" a Raptor to navigate them. The "cool"-factor/looks is definitely something that is swaying me towards a Raptor. I have a Mach 1 manual that I do HPDE events with so I am definitely someone that enjoys exciting/emotional vehicles.

I'll drive a regular F150 at a Ford dealer tomorrow and curious to see how that goes.
Unless the truck is salvage, high mileage, or previously black listed for a tune or something like that, you should still be able to get ford ESP. I would suggest you
Call a few local dealers and ask for some quotes. They will ask for your vin and mileage.