DIY Oil Change on Raptor R

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Blast2hell

Reaction score
So, my search skills are failing me, and I really did try before posting this. If there was an obvious search criteria let me know.

Anyone point to a video or thread about changing the oil on the Raptor R? All i find are DIY for the ecoboost, or Raptor R threads droning on about oil brands and quality.

I have 1,100 on the ODO and wanted to get that first change in before a multi day offroading trip. I just slid under there and all the skidplates under there make sense for protection, but which one to remove, and is the filter under the same one as the plug? I saw a mini plate with 4 T40 bolts in it, but removing that just gave access to the back of the radiator.
I figured there had to be a thread or video on youtube, but no luck in my search.

I do a lot of motorsports so changing my own oil on my vehicles saves me time which is worth a lot to me.

Bullet Bob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
As expensive as that engine is, I would advise you to have the dealer change it. Not because you can't do it, or do it correctly, but because you increase your chances of having Ford accuse you of doing something wrong, should something catastrophic happen to your engine.

OP
OP
Blast2hell

Blast2hell

Reaction score
As expensive as that engine is, I would advise you to have the dealer change it. Not because you can't do it, or do it correctly, but because you increase your chances of having Ford accuse you of doing something wrong, should something catastrophic happen to your engine.
Can't live in fear that way. I have to change the oil on my ZL1 1LE after every 4 hours of track time. I leave the transmisson fluid to the dealer because the 10 speed on my camaro and raptor needs equipment I don't have. A dealership assigns engine oil changes to their least skilled and lowest paid employees generally. And I find when it comes to these rare vehicles, since they never see them at their service shops, they choke on even basic requests.

Bullet Bob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Good Lord Toadsmasher, your dealership is expensive. My last oil change (a month ago) was ~$50. I call to make an appointment and request that my regular (Senior Tech) does the oil change for me. This makes me realize how good my dealership is.

cr23raptor1983

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Easiest engine to change the oil in. I've timed myself- took my time, clean up etc 32 mins. No skid plates off except the drain bolt one. Take your arm and reach from up top to gain access to the filter.
Change it yourself

** it's essentially the same process as the eco engine except viscosity and more quarts. Same oil filter etc.

OP
OP
Blast2hell

Blast2hell

Reaction score
Easiest engine to change the oil in. I've timed myself- took my time, clean up etc 32 mins. No skid plates off except the drain bolt one. Take your arm and reach from up top to gain access to the filter.
Change it yourself

** it's essentially the same process as the eco engine except viscosity and more quarts. Same oil filter etc.
Thanks, what plate is for the drain bolt?

OP
OP
Blast2hell

Blast2hell

Reaction score
And I saw filter from the top
1000002158.jpg

I am guessing this plate is for accessing it from the bottom but you can reach from the top too.

1000002161.jpg