Decision to Make Gen 2 or Gen 3

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Easyrider470

Reaction score
I am in the market for a Raptor again. I have owned a 23, with the 37's. I am considering 21-22 Gen three trucks because I want to be able to tune it, and I am dead set on the Blue Recaros. That being said, in my search I discovered a low mile 2020 truck and was wondering if it's worth going back another generation and missing out on some of the modern features to have more cash for mods. Some things I am considering as factors that I would like to discuss are....

1) Gen 2 is a leaf spring truck...will it ride totally different? I have driven Gen 2 trucks and if i remember correctly they felt loose compared to Gen 3 coil spring rear suspension trucks

2) Interior...sure sure, screens and buttons are cool. Will i be missing out on anything significant? I am not a techy guy so not worried about gismos

3) Engine and Trans....best I can tell there is little change in these areas. 2020 appears to be statistically a solid engine year

4) Front suspension...one of my primary mods will be to get the front end UP so I can run 37's...the Gen 2 trucks appear to sit lower so wondering if that is a limiting factor or is it something easily handled

5) ANYTHING...and I mean ANYTHING else you can think of that would be a NO GO for a GEN 2?

Thanks!!!

shigman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you want to run 37s I would not buy a gen 2 unless you're planning on spending a lot on mods. Gen 2 and 3 aren't that different from a tech and features stand point at all. The stereo is better on the gen 3 for sure over the gen 2 but not by miles. It really depends on how much cash for mods you want I guess. Low mileage 2020 gen 2s aren't very cheap either. Id stick with the gen 3.

OP
OP
E

Easyrider470

Reaction score
Unless you are going to steal the 2, a 3 for sure by a mile. Interior, tech, suspension.
That's a good point. The Gen 2 is Lead Foot Gray with the blue interior and has less than 10K miles on it. One owner, no accidents, bed rug and a bed cover. I think I am stealing it, as it is $30K less than a brand new 24 and $12K less than a similarly optioned 22-23.

OP
OP
E

Easyrider470

Reaction score
If you want to run 37s I would not buy a gen 2 unless you're planning on spending a lot on mods. Gen 2 and 3 aren't that different from a tech and features stand point at all. The stereo is better on the gen 3 for sure over the gen 2 but not by miles. It really depends on how much cash for mods you want I guess. Low mileage 2020 gen 2s aren't very cheap either. Id stick with the gen 3.
62K for a loaded Gen 2 with 8k miles. Loaded with the right color....and the blue interior.

Shane361

FRF Addict
Reaction score
i agree.
Do you like your Gen 2? @Shane361
Love it! Would I love a Gen3 more.....odds are yes. Except for the front end. Had a 21 on order during Covid and it got dropped due to chips and the Covid mess. Got impatient and found this LFG with 36k miles MINT. Either way you can't go wrong but if you got the funds get the Gen3 IMO.

Antho

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Had multiple Gen2 and love them but I’m
On my 2nd Gen3 and they are way ahead with the interior and suspension. Not really anything that the Gen2 has that is superior to the Gen3 but sounds like you’re trying to sell yourself on the cheaper gen2. Do whatever you want. It’s your money.