Clunking sound on Gen 3 too

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Raptorbert

Full Access Member
Reaction score
OK so after reading nearly the entire thread over again I wanted to ask people who've gone through this if it seems similar, since some people seem to have issues like the" feel in the pedals" and others don't mention it. I feel that it is similar, but service Dept didn't. I highly doubt they used chassis ears since they just said "normal raptor noise." I did the plastic fix on post 605, and zero difference.

- I don't feel it in the pedals
- I need to have the music really low / off as well as exhaust mode quiet
- I need to be going less than 40ish but its more noticeable going through neighborhoods.. like speeds 20-40mph
- With windows open I can't hear it, windows must be closed even at 20mph
- Its a hollow like rattle / chatter (It SOUNDS like something is loose up front, cannot feel it at all)
- Its almost always just cracks in the road where the pavement sunk a little bit between the crack so there's enough of a jarring bump to make the noise

I have a 2021 within the SSM range, and it has 4600 miles so still basically new.

My wife doesn't seem to think it's a real issue, but shes not one to notice stuff like that. I just want gauge how much I should keep pushing this. It bothers me but at the same time it's really not that big of a deal, especially if the comment about people from raptor assault saying it caused no issues other than a noise is true.

Last edited:

taquitos

Full Access Member
Reaction score
OK so after reading nearly the entire thread over again I wanted to ask people who've gone through this if it seems similar, since some people seem to have issues like the" feel in the pedals" and others don't mention it. I feel that it is similar, but service Dept didn't. I highly doubt they used chassis ears since they just said "normal raptor noise." I did the plastic fix on post 605, and zero difference.

- I don't feel it in the pedals
- I need to have the music really low / off as well as exhaust mode quiet
- I need to be going less than 40ish but its more noticeable going through neighborhoods.. like speeds 20-40mph
- With windows open I can't hear it, windows must be closed even at 20mph
- Its a hollow like rattle / chatter (It SOUNDS like something is loose up front, cannot feel it at all)
- Its almost always just cracks in the road where the pavement sunk a little bit between the crack so there's enough of a jarring bump to make the noise

I have a 2021 within the SSM range, and it has 4600 miles so still basically new.

My wife doesn't seem to think it's a real issue, but shes not one to notice stuff like that. I just want gauge how much I should keep pushing this. It bothers me but at the same time it's really not that big of a deal, especially if the comment about people from raptor assault saying it caused no issues other than a noise is true.
Feeling it in the pedals: yes felt it in the pedals. It felt like there was something physically loose. I thought it was the bed at first. I’ve had the bed come loose on a truck before and it was surprisingly similar.
Needing music off and exhaust quiet to hear: no could hear it in sport with music at normal volume, but not Baja with loud music.
Less than 40mph: yes. Was most noticeable around 20.
Windows open vs closed: didn’t matter, could hear it regardless.
Hollow sound: definitely. Like something is loose.
Cracks in the road and such: was for sure the most noticeable there. And potholes. But also the back side of speed bumps.

It sounds like your clunk is a very minimal one to be honest. Although having all four replaced I don’t notice any of this stuff anymore and I have deliberately tried to make it happen again. I drove around with three shocks replaced and one old one for a bit while the fourth shock was on order (got damaged in shipping). With one clunking front shock it made more noise than what you are describing. You don’t have much time left on the bumper to bumper. If it were me I’d bother them about it a few more times until the bumper to bumper is up and then just not care. There will always be some noise from the shocks. I think as long as you can’t feel it in the pedals and can’t hear it under normal circumstances it isn’t worth too much thought.

Raptorbert

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Feeling it in the pedals: yes felt it in the pedals. It felt like there was something physically loose. I thought it was the bed at first. I’ve had the bed come loose on a truck before and it was surprisingly similar.
Needing music off and exhaust quiet to hear: no could hear it in sport with music at normal volume, but not Baja with loud music.
Less than 40mph: yes. Was most noticeable around 20.
Windows open vs closed: didn’t matter, could hear it regardless.
Hollow sound: definitely. Like something is loose.
Cracks in the road and such: was for sure the most noticeable there. And potholes. But also the back side of speed bumps.

It sounds like your clunk is a very minimal one to be honest. Although having all four replaced I don’t notice any of this stuff anymore and I have deliberately tried to make it happen again. I drove around with three shocks replaced and one old one for a bit while the fourth shock was on order (got damaged in shipping). With one clunking front shock it made more noise than what you are describing. You don’t have much time left on the bumper to bumper. If it were me I’d bother them about it a few more times until the bumper to bumper is up and then just not care. There will always be some noise from the shocks. I think as long as you can’t feel it in the pedals and can’t hear it under normal circumstances it isn’t worth too much thought.
Thanks! I’m assuming my lower mileage is contributing to the shocks not being as loud? Did the noise worsen over time for you? I figure worse case scenario is ford never replaces it and its worsens bad enough to the point where i just find someone with MY23 OEM take offs and swap out.

Last edited:

taquitos

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks! I’m assuming my lower mileage is contributing to the shocks not being as loud? Did the noise worsen over time for you? I figure worse case scenario is ford never replaces it and its worsens bad enough to the point where i just find someone with MY23 OEM take offs and swap out.
My shocks made a clunk from day 1. Never really changed with mileage either. I found it really easy to recreate the noise while parked by bouncing the bed up and down. Between the last time I did that before the shocks getting swapped and a year prior it made the same amount of noise.

Raptorbert

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My shocks made a clunk from day 1. Never really changed with mileage either. I found it really easy to recreate the noise while parked by bouncing the bed up and down. Between the last time I did that before the shocks getting swapped and a year prior it made the same amount of noise.
Oh no kidding. If that’s the case I could totally live with this noise. Hell I remember my gen 2 making a similar clunk. I just figured it would worsen over time.

Is this the kinda clunk you heard?

taquitos

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Oh no kidding. If that’s the case I could totally live with this noise. Hell I remember my gen 2 making a similar clunk. I just figured it would worsen over time.

Is this the kinda clunk you heard?

More or less. That seems like it’s echoing in the garage making it louder than it might actually be. It sounded a little more hollow though. Almost like a golf ball bouncing around in it. Could feel it through my feet or hands while bouncing things too.

RamseyF

Full Access Member
Reaction score
OK thanks! There’s nothing in my bed other than a fairly heavy recovery bag so that’s all shock
that's exactly what I heard. I finally got it fixed. they replaced the back shocks only. all I had to do is jump up and down on it to demonstrate it. If I had any noise from the front its definitely not apparent now. I know the noise was louder when its cold out. My fingers are crossed I only had bum rear shocks and not the front also. as of now I hear nothing

Raptorbert

Full Access Member
Reaction score
that's exactly what I heard. I finally got it fixed. they replaced the back shocks only. all I had to do is jump up and down on it to demonstrate it. If I had any noise from the front its definitely not apparent now. I know the noise was louder when its cold out. My fingers are crossed I only had bum rear shocks and not the front also. as of now I hear nothing
I’ll make sure to bounce on that rear bumper maybe it will work for me lol