Clunking sound on Gen 3 too

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JDMCTR00

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just got my truck back after they changed the lower steering shaft (due to the thumping in the steering wheel). It’s still thumping. Let’s see what Ford says to change next.

JDMCTR00

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just did some more testing regarding the thumping in the steering wheel. I believe I have narrowed it down the the steering rack/tie rods. Having the steering wheel/wheels straight then turning the steering wheel 180 degrees (raptor facing up top) I can feel the thumping. In that position if I move the steering wheel to the 9 o’clock then to the 3 o’clock position I feel the thumping in the steering wheel. I had my wife turn the steering wheel left/right while I had my hand on the outer/inner tie rods, I felt the thumping on both sides.

JDMCTR00

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just did some more testing regarding the thumping in the steering wheel. I believe I have narrowed it down the the steering rack/tie rods. Having the steering wheel/wheels straight then turning the steering wheel 180 degrees (raptor facing up top) I can feel the thumping. In that position if I move the steering wheel to the 9 o’clock then to the 3 o’clock position I feel the thumping in the steering wheel. I had my wife turn the steering wheel left/right while I had my hand on the outer/inner tie rods, I felt the thumping on both sides.
I just went to the dealer and showed the tech what I had discovered. The tech went underneath and said it seems like the inner tie rods. I left the truck for further inspection. I told the tech it seems to start/get more pronounced about 8 miles into a drive.

JDMCTR00

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just got my truck back after they changed the lower steering shaft (due to the thumping in the steering wheel). It’s still thumping. Let’s see what Ford says to change next.
I just went to the dealer and showed the tech what I had discovered. The tech went underneath and said it seems like the inner tie rods. I left the truck for further inspection. I told the tech it seems to start/get more pronounced about 8 miles into a drive.
I got word that the dealer has placed an order for the inner and outer tie rods for both sides.

JDMCTR00

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This isn’t really related to the suspension clunk that this thread is about.
This is causing a clunking/thumping in my case in the suspension . These types of clunking/thumping sounds can travel throughout the vehicle. I’m posting to add further information that can possibly help someone here.

taquitos

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This is causing a clunking/thumping in my case in the suspension . These types of clunking/thumping sounds can travel throughout the vehicle. I’m posting to add further information that can possibly help someone here.
The whole shock clunk thing is fairly well documented for trucks in the build date range covered by the SSM.

JDMCTR00

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The whole shock clunk thing is fairly well documented for trucks in the build date range covered by the SSM.
I understand that. I'm talking about the clunking that's coming from the rack/tie rods that is sending a clunking/thumping into the steering wheel and brake pedal area. This could be mistaken for a shock clunking also. When the suspension cycles up and down it's puling the tie rods in and out (due to some play) and causing a clunking. If this helps someone here who has an issue and ends up not being the shock, then it's another area where they can check.