Best in the Desert 2017 Ford F-150 Raptor Race Truck

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ZaneMasterX

FRF Addict
Reaction score
At least the motor, transmission, and everything else other than the shocks is 100% stock and it all made it through the race. Thats something.

bmacked

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Read the class rules, then you will see it's a VERY stock class.

I did read them. I just think they should've taken a truck exactly how it will come from the factory, cage it (only because it's required) and race. As I said above, it's not like they have any competition seeing as they're in a class of their own.

Conejoracer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Wow, so much much butt hurt here.
The class is open to any manufacturer, and any person meeting the class rules.
Having been around off road racing since 1985, this is the most stock class I've seen since class 11 cars. The rule for shocks levels the playing field, as does the 35" tire limit. This class has potential, and just because there was only one entry does not negate the fact that the truck completed the race. Off road racing has always been first and foremost a test of man and machine against the elements. Just finishing a grueling race is a victory in itself.

Reptar

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Axle wrap is mitigated with descent springs vice those atrocious factory things.

Sent from my iPhone 6 using Tapatalk

"atrocious factory things"....yeah what terrible springs that can tow 8,000 lbs in the screw variant, ride extremely comfortably on the street, and have nearly a foot of travel for offroad. Such terrible springs lol. Staggering the shocks to reduce axle wrap, while not sacrificing performance in other factors, is a good move. This isn't a pure trophy truck, for 99% of the owners, it's a multi-purpose vehicle, and they're trying to meet the needs of a broad spectrum of buyers.

Wow their turbo. Do you not agree that the major market for this truck will be people who only drive it on the street like "most" trucks out there?

I don't disagree with that, because just like the gen 1's, majority of the gen 1 market is people who only drive it on the street as well.

I am pointing out the facts. Gen 2 sits lower based on current pics, which may change.

Umm that is exactly the opposite of pointing out facts lol. That's pointing out assumptions, which are not facts. I've yet to see dimensions/ground clearance specs that say anything other than equally as big/high as the gen 1's. The only spec I have seen that isn't just based on speculation is that weight is ~500 less.

All the start stop and other features if real is for street use.

Not saying its bad just saying when they made it they looked at who is the largest market it share and frankly we are not it.

So adding street features makes it less offroad? Again, it's a multi-use truck. That is why the truck is so successful. Hate on the street queens all you want, those people are the reason Ford is continuing to build this truck. If it were a pure offroad race only geared truck that only appealed to the small % by comparison who use it to that extent, the sales #'s would not have justified a second generation of the trucks.

Also, things like start stop, that are disabled in off road mode or 4wd, make no difference whatsoever on offrading performance, so it doesn't make it more or less street or more or less offroad. It's a feature that's indifferent to each use of the truck. It's also another thing to be appreciative of, because it's something to help Ford meet the CAFE standards, which allows them to keep building things like this that aren't the most fuel efficient vehicles on the block.

At least the motor, transmission, and everything else other than the shocks is 100% stock and it all made it through the race. Thats something.

Yeah but folks would rather disregard all that, that's a good news story for the gen 2, folks would rather nit pick the wording on the trophy for finishing, and give Ford flack for racing the gen 2 raptor as the only one in the class even though it's other manufacturers that didn't step up to the plate and not Ford's fault nobody else entered to compete.

bmacked

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Wow, so much much butt hurt here.
The class is open to any manufacturer, and any person meeting the class rules.
Having been around off road racing since 1985, this is the most stock class I've seen since class 11 cars. The rule for shocks levels the playing field, as does the 35" tire limit. This class has potential, and just because there was only one entry does not negate the fact that the truck completed the race. Off road racing has always been first and foremost a test of man and machine against the elements. Just finishing a grueling race is a victory in itself.

No butt hurt here. I am in line for the '17.... All I'm saying is that I'd prefer to see them run the truck stock. You seem to be the butt hurt one crying over my opinion.

Why "level" the playing field when they knew that nobody else was going to enter their class? Did they think the factory 3.0s couldn't handle these races?

m3dragon

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Umm that is exactly the opposite of pointing out facts lol. That's pointing out assumptions, which are not facts. I've yet to see dimensions/ground clearance specs that say anything other than equally as big/high as the gen 1's. The only spec I have seen that isn't just based on speculation is that weight is ~500 less.

Err uhh.. I will try to find the thread but there is several pics of Gen 1 next 2 Gen 2 and it is obviously lower. Not saying that is for street use but one can speculate.

So unless they make a major change then that is what we can expect.

Your admittedly fighting a battle that is not there. I have not said the Gen 2 sucks or is not worth getting. Those that hate it you won't change their minds.

My 2 cents is they made the Gen 2 more street focused even though it has all the latest and greatest 3.0 and other features.

The only complaint I have with Gen 2 is the grill. When someone one comes out with a swap for it that looks good I might look closer at the 2's but for now its a but her face.

ZaneMasterX

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Did they think the factory 3.0s couldn't handle these races?

I think the main reason for changing out the shocks was so they could adjust them to suit the offroad environment better. The stock shocks have to feel good on and off road and have zero adjustability. The zero adjustability is most likely because of safety/warranty/liability issues hence why they took out perch adjustments on the Gen 2.

RLTW

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I think the main reason for changing out the shocks was so they could adjust them to suit the offroad environment better. The stock shocks have to feel good on and off road and have zero adjustability. The zero adjustability is most likely because of safety/warranty/liability issues hence why they took out perch adjustments on the Gen 2.

So to do what the truck is not capable of in stock form? Lol

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

ZaneMasterX

FRF Addict
Reaction score
So to do what the truck is not capable of in stock form? Lol

No one can make that call 100% but we can all assume and cry foul and disregard the fact the rest of the truck is stock and it made it through the race.

I agree, it should be in stock trim with a cage, but its not so take it for what it is.