Best in the Desert 2017 Ford F-150 Raptor Race Truck

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
Chris's FX4

Chris's FX4

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I understand that the rear shock mounts are Raptor specific (wider and higher) to help with travel improvements.
Definitely Raptor specific going by pics. There are quite a few differences. Notice how Raptor passenger side mount has more "cut out" and the bolt hole appears to be higher. Then on the Raptor driver side mount notice how the shock is mounted on the outside compared to the 2015 mount.

2015 F150 Passenger Side Mount

LR-05120.jpg

GE14WD2014-2015F1504WDFOXStage1SuspensionPackage35.jpg

2017 Raptor Passenger Side Mount

25065740342_d100384235_b.jpg

12646986_1009387959121394_8945825144786233553_n.jpg

2015 F150 Driver Side Mount

LR-05133.jpg

2017 Raptor Driver Side Mount

24816299789_27928a9180_b.jpg

m3dragon

FRF Addict
Reaction score
The base truck also has opposing shocks. So it is a natural change for the Gen 2 Raptor. It was done, in part, to better manage axle wrap, which was certainly present on the Gen 1 Raptor, as well as not unheard of on the base truck.

I understand that the rear shock mounts are Raptor specific (wider and higher) to help with travel improvements.

Yes, higher mount shocks will be a little different, but my guess is that a little welding on the axle (can you buy a driver side mount and weld it on the passenger side or vice verso), it will be mostly straightforward to do, in a similar manner to the Gen 1.

This will be a better truck than the Gen 1, regardless of kind of fart sounds it makes.

I wish I had a chance to drive one, to validate my assumptions on the Gen 2.

I understand why they did it. Again goes back to the same statement that most of these trucks will never be used offroad as people on this forum use them. So all the electronics and other decisions were made with more street less baja in mind if you look at the data as well as look at it form Ford's point of view. If I was a exec at Ford I do the same thing.

With that said if you want a big "bolt on" upgrade that is harder to do then 1. Also you will be swapping 3.0's for 3.0s if you want better bypassing and or tune ability. Just making people think what Gen II really offers over a Gen 1 in terms of improvement in the "upgrade and use it world".

Again I am not saying Gen II is bad. I am just pointing out that the design of all the features is not as "Baja" in mind as Gen 1 IMHO. Good or bad is personal preference but need to look at the truck as a whole not just as its lighter, has eco boost yada yada.

Also front does not look like at the moment offers "perch" adjustment. That could be per-production as a disclaimer.

Wilson

FRF Addict
Reaction score
You have to think of it as a time attack, everyone else stayed home. So actualy the Gen2 has already won they are just putting the truck threw its paces. Learning and fixing any ishwe it might have.

How fast was the fastes truck and the slowest? What was the avrage speed of the whole race?
I'd rather it not sound like a ***** and hope they silence it or make it much better sounding. But it's a v6 they have a tendency to sound week.

ZaneMasterX

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Maybe this whole ******* thing is a bad joke? I'd be embarrassed to drive that POS up on the podium....1/1 in the class. Really? LOL

Finishing the Mint 400 in itself is an achievement especially in a mostly stock vehicle. Its not always about being first but just finishing the race to say it can be done by a mostly production vehicle.

It is hilarious they received a first place trophy I do agree with that. Im totally against participation ribbons in sports but in this case instead of a trophy a participation ribbon would work, or maybe a pat on the back and a "good job!".

And like Wilson said, at least they are out there unlike every other vehicle manufacturer who didnt show up to race a mostly stock vehicle against them. Put up or shut up and Ford at least showed up and finished.

bmacked

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Too lazy to search right now but what did they change on the truck Greg raced? Is it exactly "mostly stock" or more "somewhat stock"?

Thought they caged and added better shocks? How is that "mostly stock"?

Jimbo

Mad Frog Mattis
Reaction score
Too lazy to search right now but what did they change on the truck Greg raced? Is it exactly "mostly stock" or more "somewhat stock"?

Cage is for safety, needed to run at all.

You can run up to 3.0's in the stock class, so they swapped out the factory 3.0's for external reservoir 3.0's.

OP
OP
Chris's FX4

Chris's FX4

FRF Addict
Reaction score

Class 1200 Rules

https://media.ford.com/content/fordmedia/fna/us/en/news/2016/02/03/2017-ford-f-150-raptor-prepares-for-grueling-off-road-racing-series.html
Modifications to the F-150 Raptor race truck include:

Race-optimized three-inch-diameter external-bypass front and rear Fox Racing Shox similar to Raptor’s segment-exclusive internal-bypass Fox Racing Shox

Race-optimized front and rear springs raise ride height to gain additional ground clearance and provide increased compression rate to handle extreme terrain

Custom-fabricated roll cage

MasterCraft seats with five-point harness safety belts and window nets

LED light bars, racing fuel cell, Lowrance GPS, RacePak digital dash and data logger

bmacked

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Cage is for safety, needed to run at all.

You can run up to 3.0's in the stock class, so they swapped out the factory 3.0's for external reservoir 3.0's.

Assumed the cage was necessary but the 1200 class is a joke if they are able to change anything other than safety components. Even if it's just the shocks. Why call it the factory stock class if it's not exactly what you'd get from the factory?

ZaneMasterX

FRF Addict
Reaction score
And just remember how much extra weight that truck had to deal with compared to a stock truck. Cage, spare tires, equipment to change spares, tools, navi/communication gear, two passengers, etc. There is no way stock shocks would have held up with that weight in those conditions.

edit: Two passengers, one driver.

1915167_1034666549923401_2927203490486354096_n.jpg

Last edited: