Battery issue, Charging issue or BMS issue?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
Raptorbert

Raptorbert

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would still put money that your truck / start stop is working as intended and there are no issues (unless you have some SS related soft fault code or charging code).

I’ve never watched for it but I bet my truck goes a while without start stop functioning, maybe due to extreme weather here in MN, short trips, me running all the heated seats / defrosters triggering the system to not turn on, or driving style.
You could be right but it doesn’t hurt to try and see if that harness is seeing with something. It’s colder now and working more frequently then when it was 30 degrees warmer.

taquitos

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Given I’ve never received the deep sleep notification even after weeks of vacation and maybe driving just once a week on short trips, I don’t think it’s normal to get that notification and sounds like there is something causing low voltage in your case.

Truck always has power, modem is constantly pinging the mothership for FordPass features. Needs to be awake to receive OTA updates, also seemingly randomly powers up modules to do self tests occasionally even after hours of shutdown.
That got me thinking about strength of network where the truck is parked. I know where I park it it’s not great. I’ve seen battery get drained on other devices struggling to find or maintain a connection so maybe that’s part of it if it’s trying to ping often.

OP
OP
Raptorbert

Raptorbert

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That got me thinking about strength of network where the truck is parked. I know where I park it it’s not great. I’ve seen battery get drained on other devices struggling to find or maintain a connection so maybe that’s part of it if it’s trying to ping often.
I also wondered if it could be possible that a module is not allowing the truck to fully sleep for some reason and just drains the truck enough until the computer recognizes it and shuts it off (like a light because a door is cracked open). I’ve read on the f150gen14 forum that apim module was a potential culprit with other people’s battery related issues.

OP
OP
Raptorbert

Raptorbert

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So my dealer replaced the BCMC and the code still came back the next day, B162F. Anyone have any idea as to what's gong on there?

Monkish1

Reaction score
For a lot of manufacturers the auto start/stop function and remote start are the canaries in the coal mine for low battery charge. As stated above you may have a faulty module that is not going to sleep or a sticking relay, or a mystery leak to ground, or etc..... Unfortunately I have had similar experiences to yours with Alfa Romeos and they are incredibly difficult to solve. Keeping your key in a faraday cage is a good idea that everyone should do from both a security and battery standpoint. Unfortunately as the number of computers in vehicles have increased the number of these type of issues has increased correspondingly. A quick search on nearly every manufacturer's forum pages will show similar issues. The complicated BMSystems don't make the problem less likely. Possible but not likely you got two bad batteries. Not sure what they are putting in but an AGM type is preferable to the old standard, least thats what many european manufacturers are starting to use. Good luck and keep on the dealer and ford about it. Sucky problem to have I know.

swoop1156

FRF Addict
Reaction score
The dealer had my truck for over two weeks to try to figure out the BMS issue. They finally came to the conclusion that there's a "software issue making the truck believe it's low on charge, but it really isn't". Makes sense but also is BS. They master reset everything, did all the recalls, charged it up, and gave it back to me. We'll see.

I also keep my keys in a faraday bag.

OP
OP
Raptorbert

Raptorbert

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I feel like there’s way more software issues than discussed about here. Hopefully it’s fixed for you. I gave up on dealing with mine. Do you have that DTC that I do? I still wonder if that drains the battery.

taquitos

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I feel like there’s way more software issues than discussed about here. Hopefully it’s fixed for you. I gave up on dealing with mine. Do you have that DTC that I do? I still wonder if that drains the battery.
Oh without a doubt way more software issues. They are next to impossible to pinpoint or replicate though. Some random software thing probably happens once or twice a week to me. Sometimes it’s the doors unlocking anytime I get near the driver’s side door. Sometimes audio issues where I have to reboot the center console. It throws ABS codes sometimes but there’s no apparent issue with ABS. End of this week it was doing low battery things (system off to save battery when I turn off the truck instead of audio staying on). Took a multimeter and checked battery voltage. 12.3V…

OP
OP
Raptorbert

Raptorbert

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Oh without a doubt way more software issues. They are next to impossible to pinpoint or replicate though. Some random software thing probably happens once or twice a week to me. Sometimes it’s the doors unlocking anytime I get near the driver’s side door. Sometimes audio issues where I have to reboot the center console. It throws ABS codes sometimes but there’s no apparent issue with ABS. End of this week it was doing low battery things (system off to save battery when I turn off the truck instead of audio staying on). Took a multimeter and checked battery voltage. 12.3V…
I had like a 2 week period where half the time I needed to force the radio to reset because it would glitch and not start up

HighwaySentinel

︻デ┳═ー - - - - - - -
Reaction score
My charging issue seems to be most prevalent in the summer months. Now, I just drive with the headlights on and it seems to trigger the alternator to do its f'n job.