Bakflip VP vs F1

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OrangeAddict

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I personally found the f1 to be worth it. I had the HD before this so I knew it would hold up. The only reason I can see to go with the vp is if you like that vinyl look. I also am not sure how long the vinyl would hold up long term.

RaptorFlipper

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Interestingly enough, I talked to Morrie(a lot of positive feedback about him on here) Saturday and was ready to buy an f1 mainly because of all the positive feedback on the forum, but he gave a very strong case for getting the roll-x. So I bought it instead. Better functionality(f1 you have to open the tail-gate to open), lower profile, easier to open and close, more durable(heavier), and $200 cheaper. Maybe give him a shout. Bakfactoryoutlet.

Humvee21

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Better functionality(f1 you have to open the tail-gate to open)

You have to open the tail gate to open your Roll-X as well. As with any other decent bed tonneau. I think you meant that you had to close the tail gate first, in order to close the Bakflip F1?

Jordan@Apollo-Optics

aka <b><font color='darkorange'>LSUstang05</font><
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
BAK Industries is really trying to recoup their money on the R&D for that Roll-X. He convinced me to get one too and I sold it on craigslist within 2 months. Running offroad through some whoops will have the roll-x bounce out of the frame rails, un-latch from the back, and fall into the bed. It's a great cover if you don't run hard off-road, or mainly see the street, but other than that I'd go with an F-1 or similar.

A lot of the Houston Area guys have the G-2 and love it and I think it's cheaper than the F1.

BIRDMAN

Birdministrator
Reaction score
You have to open the tail gate to open your Roll-X as well. As with any other decent bed tonneau. I think you meant that you had to close the tail gate first, in order to close the Bakflip F1?

I believe they changed the weather strip design so you don't have to close the tailgate first. You can now latch the roll-x and then close the tailgate

robbys3m3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have a g2 and love the functionality but wish i had the f1...i have about 15 hail dents that dont seem like they can be repaired...works great but the dents bother me visually.

Rm

justvettn

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I am not a fan of the vinyl look, so went with the F1. I think it has a higher quality look to it.

twlhunter65

Reaction score
I have had the F1 for three years, no complaints at all. still looks as good as the day I installed it,and the hardware has never failed.

lane_change

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Who has the best price out there for the F1?

I'd be worried that the VP simply won't hold up off road like the F1 will. The look of the metal vs. vinyl doesn't bother me and I prefer the light weight of the VP and I like that it is 100% seamless and has no need for drains in the channels, and the fact that the F1 can support 500lbs on top of it when closed is of little use to me since I doubt I put 500lbs of stuff on top of my closed bed cover, pretty sure I'd open it if that were the case. However the F1 has proven itself off-road without many issues unlike other covers out there, so unless the VP can be shown to be equally tough and structurally as sound as the F1, I would go F1. I hate buying things twice when they fail.