GEN 2 Are my leaf springs shot?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Zeusmotorworks

Semi-retired, now just a happy grumpy old man!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
How much stiffer is the ride on road?
So I purposely drove the truck, parked in the garage, swapped the springs and drove the truck. Because I used to have aftermarket shop on the side and other experience in such matters, I noticed a little bit of a SLIGHTLY stiffer ride initially. However, by day two or three, I didn’t even notice anymore. It was not that big a deal to me. I carry about 200lbs or so in the bed and rear cab daily.

Zeusmotorworks

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the input. So, I wouldn't need aftermarket bump stops? I thought the factory bump stop was the block that gets removed when installing Deavers.

The bump stop pad does get removed as they are integral to the OE blocks. So you don’t necessarily need to get bump stops, but more so bump stop pads/strike plates.

Not the ones I got, but maybe the ones I should have.

OP
OP
Nacho226

Nacho226

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The bump stop pad does get removed as they are integral to the OE blocks. So you don’t necessarily need to get bump stops, but more so bump stop pads/strike plates.

Not the ones I got, but maybe the ones I should have.
Yea thats what I meant, bump stop pads. Thanks

julien194b

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The OEM leafs are garbage, even when new.
I think not exactly, they were made to satisfy a type of demand which is unfortunately most of raptor's custommer . To Leave dealership lot and ride in comfort with new truck empty bed, and it still work great for those who use it as a queenstreet going to starbuck with 2 or 3 bags of groceries in the bed...
But, of course when you load or do some offroad (or both), these OEM leaf spring become quicly garbage , and aftermarket parts is the solution depending of your use. That's Raptor world !

Zeusmotorworks

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think not exactly, they were made to satisfy a type of demand which is unfortunately most of raptor's custommer . To Leave dealership lot and ride in comfort with new truck empty bed, and it still work great for those who use it as a queenstreet going to starbuck with 2 or 3 bags of groceries in the bed...
But, of course when you load or do some offroad (or both), these OEM leaf spring become quicly garbage , and aftermarket parts is the solution depending of your use. That's Raptor world !
No, they’re taking a shit on weekend Starbucks jockeys as well.

nikhsub1

FRF Addict
Reaction score
No, they are garbage period. I noted this when I first got my truck. Rumor was that Deaver was supposed to be the OEM spring in the rear but were changed to the shit OEM due to costs.

TomDirt

FRF Addict
Reaction score
No, they are garbage period. I noted this when I first got my truck. Rumor was that Deaver was supposed to be the OEM spring in the rear but were changed to the shit OEM due to costs.
They are similar to the oem springs supplied with every other F150. I doubt they sprinkle Raptor Dust on them. But it's true that especially for the Gen 2 forward, FoMoCo could have offered a better spring & brake kit. Factory Deavers & Wilwoods (as an option at least), could have raised the bar for every other production truck/suv

Last edited:

Zeusmotorworks

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Nope... seems they are Ford F150 TL springs on an otherwise completely different and factory modified truck. Makes no sense what so ever. I mean why even beef up EVERYTHING else to include the frame and most other suspension products? I guess maybe the front upper control arms are also "standard" F150 parts? Wait! The freakin' brakes! Those are damn sure of a "standard" F150 variety. :p