Any armchair mechanics out there? Dealership is stumped.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
NoharmnoFAL

NoharmnoFAL

Reaction score
So to clarify, you have a Whipple S/C installed then?
Negative. It’s box stock. Out of desperation, I asked Whipple for their feedback since they offer a new kit and I assume they might know something. Also, Eaton won’t talk to peons.

The Whipple rep was super responsive and said that even if I wanted to order their new 3.8l SC, I better get my truck sorted out first.

OP
OP
NoharmnoFAL

NoharmnoFAL

Reaction score
Well, pretty disappointed today. I talked to the dealership, and while they think the sound is coming from the supercharger, Ford engineers have told them that it’s a normal supercharger sound. That’s it. Three weeks of beating on it with no resolution.

TwizzleStix

Pudendum Inspector aka FORZDA 1
Reaction score
Thats an odd sound for sure. Im not familiar with the R version, but the sound could be the supercharger pulley loose on the shaft, or otherwise drive belt related. Ive had superchargers before and that sure sounds like a belt/drive issue.

ams mike

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well, pretty disappointed today. I talked to the dealership, and while they think the sound is coming from the supercharger, Ford engineers have told them that it’s a normal supercharger sound. That’s it. Three weeks of beating on it with no resolution.

Did you get this in writing? Document it! No one else so far has an R that sounds like this. I would keep fighting Ford to figure it out.

Post it all over social media with multiple videos portraying the problem sound.

OP
OP
NoharmnoFAL

NoharmnoFAL

Reaction score
I’ll find out what paperwork I’ll get in the morning. They were agreeable to my request this afternoon. This is the same dealer that sold me this truck (at msrp), so they’ve always honored their word.

EricM

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Check the PCV valve. I've heard them make *really* weird noises before.

The coupler might be worth checking too. Seems early on for that- but if you can pull the front cover off the blower off w/o lifting the blower from the manifold, I'd definately take a look. All it'll cost is a new batch of S/C oil.

Maybe the bypass valve on the blower as well?

OP
OP
NoharmnoFAL

NoharmnoFAL

Reaction score
Thanks for the tips. I’ll ask about that when I meet up again with management on Monday. I picked the truck up today, but I’m meeting with the big dogs on Monday to figure out what we’re going to do.

Just for kicks, I tried to duplicate the issue pulling it out of the dealership today.
https://youtu.be/0MXxtlRrwfA?feature=shared

TwizzleStix

Pudendum Inspector aka FORZDA 1
Reaction score
Thanks for the tips. I’ll ask about that when I meet up again with management on Monday. I picked the truck up today, but I’m meeting with the big dogs on Monday to figure out what we’re going to do.

Just for kicks, I tried to duplicate the issue pulling it out of the dealership today.
Now THAT sounded like the transmission hesitating/confused when you let off the throttle just as it was wanting to upshift under load. Thats is a real issue for ANY (auto)transmission. The sound is most likely the clutches AND torque converter flipping back/forth while the controller decides wtf is happening. In this case I would agree with Ford that it is indeed “normal”. However, the software “could” be tweaked a bit to account for your driving anomalies, OR you could simply not drive in that manner. You aren't “wrong” in letting off precisely while the trans is beginning to shift, but it isn't “normally” done. It is a “corner case scenario” that can be adjusted to prevent it from happening. The dealer could do a forced “reload” of the TCM software as a first step. Good Luck!

Torchy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Stay grinding on the dealership and Ford. If it sits in the shop for 30 consecutive days it's automatic buy back from Ford.

I have experience with these motors although I am not a certified tech. I'm calling it now. Supercharger pulley.

Also open a case with Ford customer service.