Any armchair mechanics out there? Dealership is stumped.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
NoharmnoFAL

NoharmnoFAL

Reaction score
Now THAT sounded like the transmission hesitating/confused when you let off the throttle just as it was wanting to upshift under load. Thats is a real issue for ANY (auto)transmission. The sound is most likely the clutches AND torque converter flipping back/forth while the controller decides wtf is happening. In this case I would agree with Ford that it is indeed “normal”. However, the software “could” be tweaked a bit to account for your driving anomalies, OR you could simply not drive in that manner. You aren't “wrong” in letting off precisely while the trans is beginning to shift, but it isn't “normally” done. It is a “corner case scenario” that can be adjusted to prevent it from happening. The dealer could do a forced “reload” of the TCM software as a first step. Good Luck!
I agree that this isn’t a typical scenario, but it does duplicate a quick pass, then decel situation. It also makes the same noise under WOT about 1 out of 4 pulls. It’ll reach redline, and then the trans acts like it doesn’t want to upshift, and then it grinds and loses power.

Last edited:

Eaglesionu

Reaction score
could it be the audio system that makes the fake engine sound in the cabin? I know on my explorer st, if i switch to neutral while revving it makes some weird sounds due to the speakers not anticipating the engine being limited in rpm.. just a thought..