already tired of hearing about the frame....

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Status
Not open for further replies.

bstoner59

does it come in shmedium?
Reaction score
so let me ask this question for those that know more about offroading / these trucks.

the jump i posted in my vid is proably about 6" high and 10 ft or so.

i figure once it's dry out, i should be able to get another 10-15mph out of that hill and get some more height / distance.

from everything i've read, the landing looked "correct" as in your supposed to go front first to both at the same time, but not rear first.

how far / high could a jump like that be done. i've got to be honest, it was fun as hell, and i'm excited for some dry ground to see how much more i can get out of it
When you jump your suspension is at full droop travel allowing all of the 12-13" of shock stroke to absorb the landing.

A lot of issues happen at high speed under, acceleration and abrupt impacts. At high speed you are only allowing 4-6" of shock stroke to do the work before the bump stop is impacted.

The best way to jump is to land on a gradua downhill on all 4 tires with forward momentum. The video you showed looked pretty good. The first time j saw a frame bend was a guy jumping but it was not nearly as pretty as yours!!

DEADEYE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Good point. The brace/bump kits were developed after that Raptor Run.

They would have got here anyhow . It = $
Sell a thousand frame brace kits at 100 a pop!!!! That's some pretty good cash.

bstoner59

does it come in shmedium?
Reaction score
The SCrew Raptor has, according to the company build site, a payload rating of 1,770 lbs; all Raptors should have real bumps when they leave Dearborn. Instead SVT offers "digital mud" graphics.
And how much do they charge for that digital mud? I'm sure we could do our own graphics for a lot less than Ford charges.

Reptar

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Like any community, this is true... but 10% of trucks is still thousands of people! :)

Those of us with access to these trails where you can flat out FLY off road in wide open spaces can truly appreciate the peace of mind of the added reinforcement.

And the Ford Lightnings should have came with Forged Rods. All ford would have had to do is swap the powdered metal rods for forged rods and Lightnings would have been able to support 600 rwhp with ease. Instead they max out around 450 rwhp. And heck probably only 50% of the people were keeping it stock and didn't need that extra strength, but 50% or more people were modding, racing, and pushing the trucks hard and really could have used that extra strength of better rods. Did ford ever do it? Nope. The truck was fully capable in stock configuration. SVT did a great job of an all around truck as it was. You could flog it as hard as you wanted bone stock and it'd hold up just fine. You push the limits and try to make more power than the stock motor could hold though and you were on your own. They only blew from your own greed for power for more than stock rods could handle.

No different with the Raptors. The stock suspension/drivetrain was only intended for so much. Drive within the trucks limits and it's an extremely capable truck. PUsh it beyond what the stock suspension was designed for and any damage is at your own hands.

Yes ford coulda woulda shoulda done whatever to make it handle even more abuse. Ford coulda woulda shoulda put forged rods in the Lightning, but the Lightning was still a 5.4 F-150, and they utilized the regular 5.4 rods, heads, cams, etc. and just lowered compression and installed the s/c setup. Same with the Raptor, it's still an F-150, and they utilized the regular f150 frame.

There's a balance point on everything where you can only make it so good or so capable for a reasonable amount of money, and beyond that, while further improvements would be nice to have, they aren't need-to-have's and aren't cost effective any longer for a mass producted pickup truck based on a regular f-150 and not a trophy truck.

DEADEYE

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Oh and this thread is dead or beating a dead horse and we fed into the horse shit on this topic.

debate

Full Access Member
Reaction score
There is nothing wrong with the design...

Disgree. Aside from the lack of real OEM bumps, the Raptor is a misapplication of the F150 modular frame. While the front/middle frame connections, seemingly, survived the Raptor Run intact, the middle/rear frame connections, from what I've seen, yielded down from the heavy axle strikes.

Stepside

Full Access Member
Reaction score
May of been asked already , but has anyone tried to go over the " Obstacle " that bent those guys frames with these improvements that are Aftermarket available ... and did it cure the problem ??

:think: IF NOBODY CAN ANSWER THIS QUESTION . .

THEN, IT'S TIME TO CLOSE THIS THREAD . . :ehcapt:

... :nono: ...Geezz . .[ vw's, lambos, audi, :gayfight: ]

:patriot: :birgits_tiredcoffee :patriot:

Humvee21

FRF Addict
Reaction score
All things aside, I think this is one of the most debated topics about an offroad truck. Never have I heard of any other factory built offroader be attacked like this to such extent.

Raptizzle

FYT
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Disgree. Aside from the lack of real OEM bumps, the Raptor is a misapplication of the F150 modular frame. While the front/middle frame connections, seemingly, survived the Raptor Run intact, the middle/rear frame connections, from what I've seen, yielded down from the heavy axle strikes.

That's why people build tube chasis trucks. How is this so hard to comprehend?

Hockster

My 45ft Bluewater Party
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The SCrew Raptor has, according to the company build site, a payload rating of 1,770 lbs; all Raptors should have real bumps when they leave Dearborn. Instead SVT offers "digital mud" graphics.

You would want to raise the cost of the truck by 10k for a small design change so small portion of the people can run their truck beyond its capabilities? You do realize that with that aftermarket bump installed the crumple zone is totally changed right? You are talking about millions of R&D to have a different frame just for the Raptor... How about a option that Ford would offer something different but, in turn you sign off all frame and suspension warranty and crash...

Status
Not open for further replies.