Airraid CAI question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
Mjolnir

Mjolnir

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Hello ducatisps,

How long did you have the AIRAID before you had the issue with the filter? I am thinking there may have been some mold release inside the flange that might be causing that.

We have had this kit and design out since 2010, and have NEVER had any reported issues of the filter falling off, on or off-road.

Take off the filter, clean the inside of the flange real good with brake cleaner, and that will give it a better bite. Also, just go snug, don't over tighten the hose clamp or that will force the filter to fall off over time.

Hello Ruger,

Good advice on cleaning the inside of the filter as well as the tube.

Please let me know how that works out for you. If this does not solve the issue, please call me direct at the number below.

Thanks,
David
1-800-498-6951 Ext. 712

David,

sorry to just get back to you on this, just saw it. What I found with my Airraid is that your instructions are incorrect. If you install the filter while the box and tube are in place you cannot get it to sit flush against the feeder tube, which causes it to fall off.

I took the whole thing out, built it on the ground, got a great seal between the filter, tube and clamp, then put the unit as a whole back into the truck.

I've done some off road pounding it with (nothing like the TRR mind you), but it appears to be solidly in place and not going anywhere now.

most of my drive is city streets, and I'm getting 10.9 mpg. I can get 15+ on the highway if I watch my right foot, but since I installed my Borla the truck on full honk sounds so cool it's costing me major gas mileage.

iSurvive

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I have not had any problems with the filter falling off. However, why take a chance. I'm looking for a rectangular piece of closed cell foam to place in the air box which will prevent the filter from sliding off. In the mean time I used a piece of pipe insulation cut snug enough so as not to slide around. This has stayed in place well under normal driving but, I don't think it would last while offroad. Also, in the picture you can see I added rubber molding to the front and right side to help keep water out.

I think these two mods are overkill but, I want to be safe, not sorry.

I finally got my Raptor out for some extreme offroad, after reinstalling the CAI that I cleaned with brake cleaner, and I had no problems. The filter was on tight as glue. We crossed the river along the trail nine times, and gunned it across all of the shallow crossings. Water came in my windows and my sunroof and soaked us - but the filter was bone dry. I do have the pre-filter installed, but it was dry as well.

The other Raptor had the standard Airaid installation - no brake cleaner - and his was still on tightly after the trip.

TheJoker

FRF Addict
Reaction score
I finally got my Raptor out for some extreme offroad, after reinstalling the CAI that I cleaned with brake cleaner, and I had no problems. The filter was on tight as glue. We crossed the river along the trail nine times, and gunned it across all of the shallow crossings. Water came in my windows and my sunroof and soaked us - but the filter was bone dry. I do have the pre-filter installed, but it was dry as well.

The other Raptor had the standard Airaid installation - no brake cleaner - and his was still on tightly after the trip.

That's great! Like I said, I've never had a problem but, hearing others, I just wanted to avoid any problems. Overall, I am very happy with the filter and the customer service at Airaid.
When I told them what I wanted to do with the gasket, they were like "No problem, how much do you need?". Then they shipped it free of charge.

iSurvive

FRF Addict
Reaction score
That's great! Like I said, I've never had a problem but, hearing others, I just wanted to avoid any problems. Overall, I am very happy with the filter and the customer service at Airaid.
When I told them what I wanted to do with the gasket, they were like "No problem, how much do you need?". Then they shipped it free of charge.

Just to remind everyone, I had installed the Airaid several months ago and was certain it was never going to move. One good offroad trip and the filter was laying inside the filter box. I then followed the advise of Airaid and used the brake cleaner. It took me a while to get out on another rough trail for testing.

They also shipped me extra rubber gasket for free.

Airaid is not recommending cleaning the filter because it gets dirty; they are saying that the manufacturing process may have left some residue on the plastic (related to the molding process). Clean it once really well, then install, and that's it. Hopefully in the future they will clean the parts before shipping.

I'm not satisfied with only one offroad test, so I will keep you updated.

MotuMute

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Come on out to the Texas Raptor Run 2013. Home of the AiRaid fail. There is no greater pounding than 3 days of looping that hill country track. You should probably bolster it and bracket it and... I hope you're right. I'm not chancing it ever again