AC questions

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BenBB

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So

So you removed the blower motor and this is what you could see inside with the phone. I replaced the harness and adapter that overheats on the truck already. Is the blower motor a pain to remove?
Right! Some may have been through that hole I drilled (like 1/2"). Easy to remove like 3 8mm or 10mm bolts and a connector.

OP
OP
Meat2022

Meat2022

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I might mess with it this weekend. I sent you a message but I'll ask here to...do you know what the air pressure should he at max with recirculation? Is there a way to test it to see what it's at and what it should be lol?

BenBB

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ok here's some pics, hopefully helps someone. So behind the glovebox, notice the Dynamat/Killmat foil tape with goey black shit backing:
IMG_5108.JPEG
Peeled that back and bored a 1/2" hole (just pull the glovebox or let it hang there):
IMG_5109.JPEG
Peeking through the hole with my phone camera, evap still looks good:
IMG_5111.JPEG

BenBB

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I also had the blower motor removed but it doesn't really help with access, but would let you non-destructively take a look at the evap, the borescope I got recently would have been awesome to do so. The hole is covered back up by the foil tape so I don't see it being an issue. Through that hole is where I sprayed Simple Green, then after soaking used a garden hose sprayer and hosed it down, the water will drain out of the heater box (IF your drain tube isn't clogged) at the firewall drain...

OP
OP
Meat2022

Meat2022

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I also had the blower motor removed but it doesn't really help with access, but would let you non-destructively take a look at the evap, the borescope I got recently would have been awesome to do so. The hole is covered back up by the foil tape so I don't see it being an issue. Through that hole is where I sprayed Simple Green, then after soaking used a garden hose sprayer and hosed it down, the water will drain out of the heater box (IF your drain tube isn't clogged) at the firewall drain...
So no other way to get to that area except by doing what you did ? Or removing the entire dash lol

Louisiana Barefoot

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I wished I had known this. Last year on my way to Gulf Shores, AL, the coolest I could get from my a/c vents was 70 degrees. It was cooler than outside and was bearable with it blowing directly on us. Brought it to my mechanic back home whom I trust and he changed the blend actuator (about $50) but had to take the dash out which cost $700. Whatever he did, it fixed the problem. Hopefully it will be the evaporator in your situation. Thanks BenBB for your posts.

AG3

Reaction score
After having the same problems your describing I'd come to the conclusion that my evap was clogged. Went back & forth about how to do the job & decided against drilling/cutting a hole in the air box. Bought a new evap core & scheduled 2 day repair with my mechanic. Evap core ended up being ok. Problem ended up being the blend door from fresh air to recirculation was broken (common issue on 09-14 F150s) & stuck where it would block both methods

BenBB

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So no other way to get to that area except by doing what you did ? Or removing the entire dash lol
You can definitely pull the blower motor first and see what you can see from there, it's been a while since I did it so it's possible I did the flushing from there and not through the hole, the parts book doesn't really show the position of the evap very well.

But yes definitely rule out other issues first, blend door motors are a common problem, I had to replace the upper one that regulates passenger temp; there's another at the bottom I believe for driver temp and one near the throttle pedal for floor/vent/defrost mode. And likely another for recirc door? I was thinking you could see that door with the blower motor removed as well...

OP
OP
Meat2022

Meat2022

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don't think it's the blend door. When it's on the vents for the dash nothing comes out from any other area...when it's on feet only....it's all feet...if I put it on defrost and feet it's normal also