AC making noise but not blowing

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

robl3577

Reaction score
So this has happened a couple of random times. I know it would never reproduce for the dealer to fix it. Happens maybe 1 in 20 times in the truck. It's hot outside. Normally the AC blows hard and cold(insert joke here). So this 1 in 20 thing, AC is on, thermostat on "Lo", fan in "auto" just like I always have it. I hear the AC blowing but its not coming out the vents. It's like the louvers that direct the air behind the dash aren't opening. I even hear the fan speed change as I change the settings, but its not coming out.
We are in the car for a few hours. AC was blowing strong. Stopped at a gas station to fill it up and when I cranked it up it happened again. Lots of noise, no blow. Is this system vacuum controlled like they used to be(I think). Tried shutting off the car and turning it back on twice with no success. Now we are stuck in the car for two more hours with no AC.
Any ideas?
Thanks

Swacer_2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yup, had this exact thing happen a couple days ago. AC should have been blasting cold, and instead of doing that, I had a bunch of air blowing somewhere behind the dash (?) and the air coming into the truck kept getting warmer and warmer. I had fans at 7 (of which less air than 1 was coming out), AC on Max, and literally was sweating to death. I shut the AC off, waited a couple minutes, turned it back on at 65F, and it started working like normal.

There is a TSB 22-2089 for 2022 F150s (like mine) to have the bias on the evaporator sensor looked at. Requires a sensor to be replaced.

I am going to mention it to the dealer when I am there next week, looks like a 5 hr job.

FordTechOne

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So this has happened a couple of random times. I know it would never reproduce for the dealer to fix it. Happens maybe 1 in 20 times in the truck. It's hot outside. Normally the AC blows hard and cold(insert joke here). So this 1 in 20 thing, AC is on, thermostat on "Lo", fan in "auto" just like I always have it. I hear the AC blowing but its not coming out the vents. It's like the louvers that direct the air behind the dash aren't opening. I even hear the fan speed change as I change the settings, but its not coming out.
We are in the car for a few hours. AC was blowing strong. Stopped at a gas station to fill it up and when I cranked it up it happened again. Lots of noise, no blow. Is this system vacuum controlled like they used to be(I think). Tried shutting off the car and turning it back on twice with no success. Now we are stuck in the car for two more hours with no AC.
Any ideas?
Thanks
HVAC systems moved away from vacuum controls 20+ years ago; the doors are all electronically controlled.

There is a service bulletin for evaporator freeze up on 2021-2023 models; all it requires is software calibration updates to a couple modules.

FordTechOne

FRF Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yup, had this exact thing happen a couple days ago. AC should have been blasting cold, and instead of doing that, I had a bunch of air blowing somewhere behind the dash (?) and the air coming into the truck kept getting warmer and warmer. I had fans at 7 (of which less air than 1 was coming out), AC on Max, and literally was sweating to death. I shut the AC off, waited a couple minutes, turned it back on at 65F, and it started working like normal.

There is a TSB 22-2089 for 2022 F150s (like mine) to have the bias on the evaporator sensor looked at. Requires a sensor to be replaced.

I am going to mention it to the dealer when I am there next week, looks like a 5 hr job.
That bulletin was discontinued and superseded. The new bulletin is just new calibrations, no component replacement is required.

OP
OP
R

robl3577

Reaction score
HVAC systems moved away from vacuum controls 20+ years ago; the doors are all electronically controlled.

There is a service bulletin for evaporator freeze up on 2021-2023 models; all it requires is software calibration updates to a couple modules.
Even if the evaporator did freeze up would it cause the louvers to not open? It just sounds like it is blowing behind the dash. I can actually feel just a little trickle of cold air coming out.

Swacer_2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That bulletin was discontinued and superseded. The new bulletin is just new calibrations, no component replacement is required.
Can you please provide me with the new TSB number? That would be great if they could just flash my problem away.

OP
OP
R

robl3577

Reaction score
Look below your original post lol
Sorry about that. I was on my phone and didn't see it but sounds like the exact same thing. turned off the AC for an hour. Made another stop at a gas station and when we turned it back on it worked. Thank God! It was hot! So @FordTechOne can the evaporator freezing up cause air to not blow through the vents? I hope there is a fix.