2022 Raptor Steering Wheel Shake

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
cparker

cparker

Reaction score
Road.
Force.
Balance.

My brand spanking new KO2’s on Motegi trail lite wheels did the same thing after getting them installed at the local stealership. Took her to the local discount tire and had them lifetime r/f balanced. 98% of the shake is gone. I have 6 wheels in rotation and even though they were fine when I took them off, each time I’ve rotated I’ve had to go back to discount tire to get them rebalanced and it’s been better.

If you look at the factory wheels when they come from Ford, they are usually balanced perfectly, but, will have a LOT of weights on them. One of my OEM bead lock wheels has 22 ounces of weights. I’ve not been able to convince Discount tire to go that far, they’re very hesitant to add that much weight.

Even if the wheels and tires are perfect, now you have a stable platform of troubleshooting to build on.

What exactly did they do? put eyes on everything and look for damage? You won’t find an out of spec component like that.

- move tires on one side back to front, reassess; repeat for the other side.
- are the wheels out of round?
- how old are the shocks and have they been rebuilt? They’re about due, maybe 10k more if you’ve babied the truck
- has the truck ever been in a collision?
- any hard hits off road?
- consistent in 2h, 4a & 4h ?

I’d posit that if the road force balance improves or vastly improves things, that is probably your problem. If it doesn’t change anything, you might to as @FordTechOne suggests and repeat. If you get an improvement, again you’re probably on to the fix but if it doesn’t help at all, you’ve got some kind of suspension or driveline issue going on.

HTH
Thanks for all the info! I'm going to try a road force balance tomorrow and see if that helps. The truck has around 50,000 miles on it, didn't think the shocks needed to be rebuilt so soon. Tires are a brand new set of K03's, and no collisions.

I should note that I do A LOT of off road driving as I live in Salt Lake City. Some of the miles are hard off road miles ripping around the desert and all the double track gravel roads. So yes, you can check the "hard hits off-road" box for sure.

Ford plans to swap wheels with a new Raptor tomorrow and see if that can narrow things down.

OP
OP
cparker

cparker

Reaction score
Well I’ll say you had me laughing out loud at “reliable 3rd Gen Tacoma”. Nothing like pulling an entire engine to reseal the extremely common timing cover leaks, or paying $13k out of pocket for new cylinder heads for the notorious valve failure issue.

For the vibration issue I would recommend ruling out the wheels and tires completely before going any further. Swap a known good set and re-evaluate. Is everything else on the truck stock, including the front springs/ride height?
Everything is stock apart from the aftermarket wheels. I'm having a Force Balance done at a Tire Discounters now. If this doesn't work, Ford will swap the wheels with a new Raptor tomorrow to rule that out. Appreciate the help!

thatJeepguy

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Has anyone put yr truck on a lift and tried to shake both front tires to check all linkages for play? If so , i agree with smurf, those rims could be flawed. Road force should pick that up. Ko3 should balance great. Bf spent millions on new manufacturing molds that are industry first in regards to consistency.

OP
OP
cparker

cparker

Reaction score
Has anyone put yr truck on a lift and tried to shake both front tires to check all linkages for play? If so , i agree with smurf, those rims could be flawed. Road force should pick that up. Ko3 should balance great. Bf spent millions on new manufacturing molds that are industry first in regards to consistency.
Road force balance did the trick! They said three of the tires were way off. I really appreciate the help.

OP
OP
cparker

cparker

Reaction score
Thanks for chiming in! Road force balance did the trick.