2019 F150 Raptor irregular steering, wandering, constant correction

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Old-Raptor-guy

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Geeze, I have to work for a while and all hell breaks loose in here.

1, just because it is cheap and easy, check ball joints as previously instructed

2, what is your caster measurement when getting an alignment, castor is a non-wearing angle, meaning that if it is ***** it will not affect tire wear. But caster is the measurement that affects, tracking and steering "return" think of a caster wheel on a shopping cart.

3, I am 90% sure your issue is with the electric power steering rack.

Old-Raptor-guy

FRF Addict
Reaction score
How do you monitor this? A few folks on other threads mentioned the angle sensor
Pretty sure your truck has 2 angle sensors, I only know this because of getting my ass kicked on another vehicle.

Pretty much every vehicle built since 2008ish has a sensor just behind the steering wheel, but if your vehicle has any "steering automation " such as lane departure or self parking (my wife's SHO will park itself) there is another angle sensor built into the steering rack/gear itself. It is not serviced separately (part of the rack/gear) and as such is hard to monitor and there is very little documentation (but there is some) about it. I actually think this is your problem, which will require steering rack replacement.

OP
OP
MPS-Raptor

MPS-Raptor

Reaction score
Pretty sure your truck has 2 angle sensors, I only know this because of getting my ass kicked on another vehicle.

Pretty much every vehicle built since 2008ish has a sensor just behind the steering wheel, but if your vehicle has any "steering automation " such as lane departure or self parking (my wife's SHO will park itself) there is another angle sensor built into the steering rack/gear itself. It is not serviced separately (part of the rack/gear) and as such is hard to monitor and there is very little documentation (but there is some) about it. I actually think this is your problem, which will require steering rack replacement.
Thank you for all the great info. I will start by checking the ball joints again. I can have them add some castor since its a cheap easy step.

The steering rack does seem to be the most logical problem. Any good recommendations for this? Ford OEM the best option? Looks like 2k or so job.

smurfslayer

Be vewwy, vewwy quiet. We’re hunting sasquatch77
Reaction score
Thank you for all the great info. I will start by checking the ball joints again. I can have them add some castor since its a cheap easy step.

The steering rack does seem to be the most logical problem. Any good recommendations for this? Ford OEM the best option? Looks like 2k or so job.
I’m just going to step out on a limb here... I’m just sayin’, steering is pretty important, right up there with braking. My advice:

Don’t skimp.

CleverGirl_

Cabin Clown
Reaction score

No warranty coverage?

OP
OP
MPS-Raptor

MPS-Raptor

Reaction score
No warranty coverage?
I have taken it into two dealerships and both give me the run around saying if something was wrong with the steering or rack it would provide a code or light. I do have a Ford certified warranty bumper to bumper for another 50k miles but can’t find a dealer willing to admit there is a problem.

CleverGirl_

Cabin Clown
Reaction score
I have taken it into two dealerships and both give me the run around saying if something was wrong with the steering or rack it would provide a code or light. I do have a Ford certified warranty bumper to bumper for another 50k miles but can’t find a dealer willing to admit there is a problem.
Yea that seems to be the issue with dealers, no code no problem.

@FordTechOne how do we make it throw a code lol

Antho

FRF Addict
Reaction score
Sounds like it could be Pull Drift Compensation issue. I'm pretty certain there is a routine to recalibrate it. I would imagine if the calibration is off it would be a pain to drive. May be worth having the dealership try that? You can try disabling the feature in Forscan if you end up getting setup with that.

1706215396768.png

Last edited:

roush_14

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Dealer says just because it does not set a code its fine? I have seen, fixed many racks that were bad that did not set a code , {Granted alot were from collision damage} but I would not accept that as an answer from them. If it is worn internally or damaged it may not set code. I also would make sure EVERYTHING else,ball joints, tie rods, bushings, intermediate shaft, etc is checked out first before you drop $ on new rack.